What to do in Sweden when the water's too hard to paddle.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Despite the fact that I hadn’t skied for fifteen years, I thought that it would be a waste of southern Sweden’s best winter in 30 years if I went on a walking tour for my last outing of this trip. I’d bought a pair of ex Swedish army “White Lightning” skis and army ski boots the previous week, hoping that the cold weather would continue.

On my last day at work, I’d hoped to get away with an indecent amount of haste, but I ended up leaving later than planned due to an uncharacteristic bout of conscientiousness, and saying goodbye to all of my Swedish colleagues. I’d packed up all of my gear over the previous week, so I nipped back to my digs, got changed, picked my bags up, dropped my keys and pass off at security and drove up to Gothenburg.

After doing a bit of shopping and getting lost a few times, I finally made it to Olle’s place, where I left all of my stuff that I wouldn’t need for the weekend. He’d kept my skis there too, so we got them and his kit and set off for Vättlefjäll. It was quite late when we arrived, so we unpacked the car and got our skis ready. While I was putting mine on, one of the leather straps broke on the binding. Olle repaired this by the light of a headtorch with a bit of paracord from his knife lanyard.

Despite the fact that this was Sweden, not Mosside, I still had a sense of trepidation as we left the car behind on the carpark; would it be there on our return in two days time? We decided to follow the route that we’d paddled in September, as despite the temperatures rising in the last week, the lakes were still well frozen.

P1150727.jpg

I’d packed the previous week, when it was quite a bit colder, so I was carrying a bit too much kit for the conditions. Along with my complete lack of fitness and the fact that I hadn’t skied for fifteen years, this made for slow going. I was a little overdressed too, as it was only about -3 °C.

P1150731.jpg

We collected some logs at a woodshed about halfway to the shelter where we were going to spend the night and strapped them onto our packs. This increased the weight significantly, so much so that at one point I fell over and couldn’t get up again unaided. If I’d have been alone I would have had to cut a rucsac strap. Along with the fact that my ski bindings weren’t as flexible at the toe as Olle’s, this meant that at the low bridges that we encountered, I had to take my pack off and throw it under.

P1150735.jpg

P1150737.jpg

At around midnight, we arrived at the island shelter on Stora Kroksjön where we would spend the night. We needn’t have bothered carrying the logs, as the local authorities obviously had a new snow mobile that they wanted to use; every shelter that we visited had a massive pile of wood near to it, including this one.

P1150738.jpg

Very soon we had a fire going with pans of snow melting around it, Olle got himself established in the shelter and I hung my hammock and tarp to suitable trees.

P1160740-2.jpg

Despite the lateness of the hour, we stayed up for a few hours talking, eating and drinking, and Olle made another fire idol.

P1160752.jpg

Olle looking a bit sinister:

P1160755-1.jpg

P1160757-1.jpg

I had to get up a couple of times to take a leak, but at least the view was good:

P1160765.jpg

P1160770.jpg

After sleeping late, we had a look around our camp in daylight,

P1160772.jpg

P1160774.jpg

P1160773-1.jpg

then relit the fire, melted snow for water and had a good breakfast.

For an easy day, we decided to explore Stora Kroksjön, then set up camp in the southern shelter on the lake before nightfall. We started an anticlockwise circuit

P1160788.jpg

P1160791.jpg

( passing the southern shelter en route ), and at the SE corner we found a beck that wasn’t frozen. Due to overhanging, frozen banks though, we couldn’t reach it, so I found another use for a folding cup and turned it into a long ladle.

P1160800.jpg

P1160804-1.jpg

The freezing cold, pure water tasted like nectar after the melted snow that we’d been drinking.

By this point, my ski technique was starting to improve, although this brought problems of it’s own. Every little improvement just meant that I was using muscles that I hadn’t been using previously, which in turn meant somewhere new to ache in a few hours time. We also noticed a big difference in the consistency of the snow the further we got away from the city. Out here it was like soap flakes ( I’m afraid that I don’t know the Inuit word for soapflake ).

P1160820.jpg

Lunch was enjoyed at the northern shelter, and around this time the wind picked up quite a bit.

P1160821.jpg

P1160826.jpg

Skiing south after lunch, we realised that the shelter that we’d planned to stay in would be facing into the wind, so we returned to the island shelter. After we got a big fire going to dry off our damp clothing, we sorted the sleeping arrangements and then settled down to a more relaxing night with good food, wine and whisky.

P1160828-1.jpg

P1160832.jpg

P1160835.jpg

The wind had dropped by the next morning, so after breakfast we retraced our tracks to the carpark.

P1170853-1.jpg

There were lots more people out today, including quite a few younger ones. Up until then, most of the folks out skiing seemed to be middle aged women. There was an older couple out on the lake in snow camo suits, who flitted in and out of sight.

P1170857.jpg

P1170862-1.jpg

P1170869.jpg

For those of you with an unhealthy interest in external frame, ex army rucsacs, here's a pic of Olle's pack:

P1170867.jpg

I haven't got a pic of it, but as we approached the carpark we passed a lady who must have been in her late sixties or early seventies ( there were lots of older ladies out, all of whom had fantastic skiing technique ), who was wearing the same red smock as Olle. Proof that quality crosses the generation divide.

With massive relief we got back to the car ( it was still there ), dumped our packs and took off our skis.

P1170878.jpg

Here's a pic of the binding that Olle fixed. If anyone gets a pair of these skis, be careful when you choose them. The leather on the other binding cracked on the way back to the car. As the skis have been in storage for some time, it's hard to tell if the leather's sound.

P1170880.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Dean77

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great trip Michael

I didn't realise you were over there at the moment, I'll stop pestering you about going for a paddle now ;)

jamin

Forager
Nov 27, 2006
lincoln
www.piczo.com
i have used the same (white wooden ski's) while on a trip to grubbasudden with my scouts. camping in huts around a large frozen lakes. we used the ski's to get around the woodland and on the lake itself. they worked very well. we called them the white flash.

Last edited:

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

Looks like a good trip, did you get a good deal on the ski's?goodjob

I got the skis, poles and boots for about £45, from a surplus shop just outside Gothenburg. I gave the skis and poles to Olle, in case he ever feels nostalgic about his army days. The boots are brilliant though,and I've brought them home with me.

Great trip Michael

I didn't realise you were over there at the moment, I'll stop pestering you about going for a paddle now ;)

I'm back home now Rich, this trip was in mid January just before I flew home. Keep on pestering anyway mate, I'll be able to make it at some point.

Great photos - stunning scenery and a Fire Idol - a proper trip
thanks for sharing - cheers Danny

Thanks Danny, I think that I'll keep up the fire idol tradition now that I'm home.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
How come I'm always late? :D

It was a crackin trip, and I'd like to share some of my views, if you don't mind.

4473082470_b3344d7fb3_o.jpg

Sometimes it was necessary to remove the pack, although I preferred crawling on all four with skis. :)

4472305537_5ea3d73303_o.jpg

The log man. His logs does not judge (twin peaks reference, for those with no cultural references). Better to have carried 4 logs, than 10 in the forest.

4473084000_85fb2439d3_o.jpg

Yet another camp site morning view. Quite nice though. Snow makes everything dead silent. Except the odd raven.

4473083788_5d10af725d_o.jpg

A very nice camp indeed. It's a bit of a luxury to have 3 solid walls and a roof. And a fire wood supply close at hand.

4473083572_3e29a0181e_o.jpg

Although I wanted to blaze the trails in the forest, the frozen lakes were nice as well. I really really like the winter.

4472306451_c30c91a96e_o.jpg

Fire. You can't have to many pictures of fires, now can you? We managed to melt a good portion of the snow on the roof of the cabin.

4472306247_808a3f7e42_o.jpg

Relaxing in the cabin again. Nice clown boots! :D It's ace having an opportunity to dry your stuff up.

4472306013_edfc87a580_o.jpg

We move ahead along the tracks. Overcast means sensible temperatures. Skiing on the flat is easy going.

4473082796_3e605a64bd_o.jpg

Scott called, he wanted his skiing poles back. Standing in/on a channel you have paddled on is a quite cool experience.

All in all it was fabulous. I hope we'll have winters like this in the future. And hopefully I will paddle there soon again.

Big thanks to Micheal for a great trip.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Wow! Some awesome photos! But...man I'm sure glad it doesn't get that cold here!

I'm glad it's not as hot here as in Tennessee! :D

Lived northern thailand for 6 months, got up to 43 centigrade.. When it's cold you move or put on clothes. When it's warm you just stay inactive in the shade and hydrate, that's not a way of life! :D

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
Good trip, winter IS the best!

BTW, this is such a beautiful picture, it is stunning. It says "winter" in many different ways, really love it. I nicked it for my PC desktop background, hope you don't mind.

4473083572_3e29a0181e_o.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE