when out in the woods what items do you make.?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addbad

Nov 19, 2010
durham
when you go out what things do you make and use while out.?

a list of the things i make while out;

spoon
fork
spatula
pot hanger set
tripod for hanging bag
shelter depends on weather
iv'e make a hammock from lime bark from time to time.

so what do you think and what do you make.? happy posting :)

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Not very much so far. I've made pothangers and tripods before, a spatula, and chopsticks. I'm wanting to try the interlocking pothanger I saw Mr Mears make.

I've also been trying my hand at making a useable pipe whilst out. My last attempt was pretty decent. I've been splitting the pipe down the middle to cut the channel so I'm trying to think of a way to do it without cutting it in two. Going to try heating a tentpeg and burning through and see if that works next time I'm out :)

Willderness

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2009
UK / UAE
I've also been trying my hand at making a useable pipe whilst out. My last attempt was pretty decent. I've been splitting the pipe down the middle to cut the channel so I'm trying to think of a way to do it without cutting it in two. Going to try heating a tentpeg and burning through and see if that works next time I'm out :)

When I made a pipe I found a pithy plant and cut off a suitable section, then pushed the pith out with a coat hanger. I then attached it to the bowl which I made from a 1"x1"x1" section of branch. Very simple, does the job!

I make whatever I get inspired to by the resources around me, e.g.:
Spoons
Birch bark bowls & ladles
Mini birch bark canoes & paddles (hopefully full sized someday soon!)
Mini kuksas from mini burls lol
Twine

And tools to help me complete jobs - the essence of bushcraft I feel. For instance, wedges for splitting logs, etc.

Go Wild!

Last edited:

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I normally make the things I forget.
Crikey - if EVERY TIME you went out you made a spoon, spatula etc then you must have a lot of them!
Sometimes I go out with the intention of making something specific to while away the hours, and sometimes I make things because I either forgot them or just need them (pegs and pot hangars are good examples).

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
....I've also been trying my hand at making a useable pipe whilst out. My last attempt was pretty decent. I've been splitting the pipe down the middle to cut the channel so I'm trying to think of a way to do it without cutting it in two. Going to try heating a tentpeg and burning through and see if that works next time I'm out :)

you could always make a chillum, much simpler than the western style of pipe with a seperate bowl and stem.

i don't think there's anything specific that i make when i'm out (camping), but over the years i've made all sorts of things, way too many to draw up a list. these days i do most of my "crafting" at home and spend time mainly just relaxing when i camp out. having said that i do have a few projects lined up for next years camping outings (to late this year to think about doing anything in the evenings, there simply aren't enough hours of daylight)

stuart

stuart

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
I have done so far:

Tripods and different pot hanging setups, my favorit and by far the best one is the "interlocking" one as mentioned above. Then spoons, forks and some simple carving. Most of the time I spend making shelter and foraging/fishing so not that much time left. I will do a crafting trip next year with plentifull of food and a hammock setup so my all time could be dedicated to creativity.
Thanks, Andy.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Tripod(s) for the presure lantern(s), don't do the carving thing; I could make a spoon if I forgot to bring one but don't bother making them for the sake of it, whats the point?

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Lots of things

packframe
saw
snowshoe-skis (roycraft style)
various bark containers
comb
bow
shelters of many kinds
saw (we found the blade on a rock under the moss)
cordage
rafts to get across streams when carrying fire
simple baskets
simple stone tools
cattail visor
kitchen implements from chopsticks to spoons, bowls and cups
pot hangers
traps, fishing spears, etc (illegal to use here, so they may all be bogus carp)

Probably a bunch of things I've forgotten

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE