what do you carry?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
I was quickly wandering what you guys carry when you're out. Heres what I carry, for comparison. I'm not trying to top trump anyone here, just maybe ge some ideas!

Karrimor Sabre 35, with side pockets off a Berghaus Vulcan.
Auscam tarp.
small inflatable roll mat.
old american poncho liner. (replaced with sleeping bag and bivi bag if overnighting)
Swanndri Ranger shirt.
Rab gortex jacket and trousers.
Merino wool/possum fur hat.
Seal Skinz gloves.
2 x british army water bottles.
metal mug.
Zebra 12cm cooking pot.
Laplander saw.
Knife.
Ferro rod.
Falkniven DC4.
Small pocket steel.
Small medical kit.
Food.
Phone.
Small head torch.

All this kit has been collected over the years, saved up for, traded or given as xmas/birthday presents....

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
My day kit is quite similar:

Berghaus Munro or perhaps Cyclops Roc in winter
Square of roll mat to sit / kneel on (and extra back padding)
Brit Issue tarp
Pot - either Zebra or Mors and squirrel cooker. Sometimes add a small frying pan.
Tatonka Metal mug
Laplander saw or Silky Big Boy
GB SFA or Outdoor axe
Bushcraft knife
Small carving knife and spoon knife
Headtorch
Map of the area and compass
Leather gloves and wool hat
Fire lighting kit including friction fire set / ferro rod / trad steel fire lighter / marcasite / chaga / amadou / fatwood etc
Water 1-2 litres depending on season
Food -
Small cuts / trauma kit
Waterproofs
Plant / fungi id books (spring / autumn)

I tend to take the bigger axe / saw in winter but not always, if its forecast dry I might not bother with the tarp. I like to explore a bit hence the map, compass and torch (also good for an emergency GR). If I can't have a fire I use a small stove (wood or paraffin).

When do you use the poncho liner? Just as an extra layer sitting around the fire?

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
HMS Ronum similar to the Berghaus Munro with added side pouches
Full size inflatable roll mat.
Brit Issue poncho (add sleeping bag and bivi bag, bungees if overnighting)
Swanndri Ranger shirt.
gortex jacket and trousers.
Merino wool/possum fur hat.
Wool gloves.
2 x british army water bottles.
Crusader metal mug. And or Fry pan
Hexi Stove
Laplander saw.
Knife.or Penknife
Ferro rod. And a lighter
Small pocket steel.
Small medical kit.
Food.
Phone.
Headtorch
Map of the area and compass
Warm jacket usually a softie

Collins food for free/Plant / fungi id books (spring / autumn)

I never take an axe never needed

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
When out for a couple of weeks at a time
Berghaus Crusader II (120ltr with side pockets on filled with food)
Lifesaver water filter bottle and 1ltr plastic bottle for to drink filtered water from
Mylar emergency foil blanket
Sleeping bag and foam insulating ground mat+dd travel hammock and DD 3x3 tarp+pegs and ropes
Compass and relevant maps
Cellphone/camera+fold up USB solar charger+USB power pack+USB powered headlamp
3 spare pairs of merino wool socks
walking poles (double up as tarp poles if needed)
1 full change of merino base layers (wash one wear one style)
washkit for me and clothing (toothpaste and brush, washcloth and pine tar soap and small bottle of Kookaburra wash for clothing)
2 Sealskinz hats and 2 pairs of Sealskinz gloves
10000hh waterproofs and a wool jumper
woodgas stove and pan
plastic bowl and cup and hand carved spoon
15m 550 7 strand paracord
2 Mora knives (1 x companion for food and 1 x 106 for wood) and fallkniven dc4 and small strop board
1 x small handle marples #5 gouge
Bacho Laplander folding saw
notepad and pencil and usually 3 collins mini nature ID books (different ones depending where i am going)
6lb fishing line and 10 hooks
snare wire
first aid kit
pedal bin liner rubbish bags
firekit (fero rod+striker, fatwood and bone dry wood shavings from my carvings)
Smidge
Beatons midge jacket and headnet
2 x bogrolls and small folding army spade/trowel and lighter

I think thats all but just like when i go out for real i've probably forgot something i think i need but then find i don't

Last edited:

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Same for me if just a walk for the day in the local woods food, water, compact bear grylls knife or penknife. Mini binos, iphone for camera for kids
Hat gloves

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
if i am out just for the day it is 99% of the time on a bike so it's

3ltr water in camelbak
nuts
a banana or two
bike specific multitool wi pliers
Hex key set
mobile for gps route recording and emergency
spare gloves
waterproofs if i have not left the house already wearing them
spare rear derailleur

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
My day hike listing is basically:

- FAK
- Survival bag - 8.6oz
- Something to sit on
- Paramo Quito Jacket ~500g (worn, or strapped to bag)
- 1L diet coke bottle ~35g empty 1.035kg full
- Sawer Mini ~65g
- Map
- Compass ~50g
- Phone, wallet, keys
- Lunch

I also have a svord peasant mini in my pocket, and usually the darlac pocket saw (34g). At some point I'll write out my overnight list (the only thing that changes from one night to more than 1 night is the amount of food/fuel).

Julia

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
No way to answer with out determining the definition of 'out'?

Provide your own definition. Out in the woods for a couple of days or an afternoon wander in the woods. :)

Me?

For day to day wandering in town and woods a Maxpedition Octa (bumbag) containing...

...wallet, keys, local map, notebook, pencil, camera, disposable poncho (which I don't dispose off), Leatherman wave, small headtorch, lighter, a cough sweet tin containing a small first aid kit (band aids, tick remover etc.) and a Maxpedition pouch whose model I'm not sure off containing a 'child support kit' (nappies, wet wipes, handkerchiefs, small ball, spoon etc.).

PA190020.JPG

In pockets, a Doug Ritter RSK 1 knife, a notebook and pen and a bottle of water.

If I need food I harvest stuff that is in season along the way or pick up some cheese scones on the way out of town. :)

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It all varies from trip to trip, depending on the weather, the duration of the trip, the location of the trip (I have gear in place at some sites, not at others), the aims of the trip and what kit I am currently testing or fond of - or have just made!
It is a rare thing for me to carry the exact same kit twice:)

Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
It all varies from trip to trip, depending on the weather, the duration of the trip, the location of the trip (I have gear in place at some sites, not at others), the aims of the trip and what kit I am currently testing or fond of - or have just made!
It is a rare thing for me to carry the exact same kit twice:)

crikey john! u must have a diverse array of kit! 😳 does anyone use a milbank bag? im thinking of getting one....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think they are indeed :D

Out for a wander, I take a foraging bag……that has my small pruners as well as something like a folding opinel in it. I can usually find or make a digging stick if I haven't taken one along. Poly bags (if I'm collecting berries) or small cloth ones and squares for leaves and so on.
I'm rarely out so long that I need something to drink with me; even in Summer I'll just go early before the Sun's up high.

I pack a small first aid kit too, (these days that includes an epi-pen just in case of clegs) a small pack of wipes and hankies, and that's pretty much it really.
If I need twine to gather stuff with, I usually just make it as necessary.

I can't be doing with carrying loads of weight 'just in case' nowadays.

M

For a longer trip we did over last week to retrieve broken skidoo two of us went with my dog team. We were away for six but planned for four days as we had difficult travelling back.

Spare gloves/mitts/hat, extra fleece for evening in tent. runners' for evening in tent.
Rifle (one between us two), cleaning kit, big hunting knife X 2.
Dog food, three extra dogs and their food, (frozen Whitefish), spare rope and traces
Our food - frozen Bannock mix, sugar, frozen Moose/salmon, tinned food, coffee tea etc., Kettle and two pans.
Spare spark plugs/points etc.,, spanners, socket set, screwdrivers and drive belt, two gallons of gas and rags. tow rope if we couldn't fix skidoo

Canvas Tent and plastic tarp, Sleeping bag, stove + pipe, ropes, plastic for ground sheet, spare lighters, tabacco all in wrapped in waterproof plastic bags/barrel.
Bow saw, large and medium axe. file,crooked knife

The other guy who owns skiido took a radio and camera. But no reception on radio and we only took one picture before the battery failed - in first night. (temperature pretty normal around -30oC, but second day hotter at +1oC then down again top -20c)

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
Whenever we go into the New Forest for a walk I take

Buck folding knife
Map, Compass and Whistle
Lifesystems Mountain First Aid Kit
Survival kit - various items
Honey Stove
DD Tarp XL
Nalgene Waterbottle
5 x Silver Blankets
GSI Glacier Cup

This stuff lives in my Karrimor Hotrock 30l Day Sack (olive). I just grab the bag whenever we go out.

Each of the kids also have a rucksack containing a survival kit, which they almost always take. Might be a bit OTT but it doesn't hurt to be prepared...and the extra weight is good for bone development :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE