What do you carry your tinder in?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I use a 11 inch by 9 issue water proof bag that is OG poly cotton (?) on the out side and either clear pastic or, on the older ones, rubberised on the inside. Theres a two foot cotton tape at the open end for tying it closed. They are 50p or so in the army stores.

I've no idea what they are for but they keep the tinder good and dry.

ATB

Tom

These are great. Big enough to store the natural tinders that you have dried in your pockets.

I store fine ember making tinder like true tinder fungus, char cloth and rosebay willow herb in a oil skin baccy pouch and the birch bark, grasses and bracken in the larger poly cotton bag.

By the way, i'm a fan of flint and steel, but matches are always to hand!

Improviser

Tenderfoot
I use a 11 inch by 9 issue water proof bag that is OG poly cotton (?) on the out side and either clear pastic or, on the older ones, rubberised on the inside. Theres a two foot cotton tape at the open end for tying it closed. They are 50p or so in the army stores.

I've no idea what they are for but they keep the tinder good and dry.

ATB

Tom

I think you are reffering to PLCE bergan side pouch liners - nylon with a pu coated rear, i have a couple myself also a great bag to store a Polish Lavvu tent in fits great.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Could be, ones dated 1984 and the liner is a seperate loose clear plastic bag. I'll try and find the rubberised one to see if it has a NSN code. Very useful anyoad, almost as good as the old nylon tent peg bags which are great for storing small to medium sized sheath knives, I wish I could find some more of those.

ATB

Tom

fire.jpg

smileyface068.jpg

In a small tin, or a bag sized flame thrower.

peachy

Oct 25, 2009
west midlands
a handy ingredient in the tin is those small pouch/packets of dessicant that often come with electrical items..about a 1" size bag with small balls in that absorb moistore..i always keep em ;)

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Like Graham S, I use the U.S. Army decontamination kit, container. If you are not familiar with these they are made out of some really tough plastic and they have a waterproof seal on the lid. They will not leak. They also have a small strap that allows it to hook to your other gear.

They are just the right size for a tinder kit. I have two of these, one with tinder and one with a first aide kit that I made up. One sits on one of my backpack shoulder straps, and the remaining one sits on the other. easy to get at.

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
a handy ingredient in the tin is those small pouch/packets of dessicant that often come with electrical items..about a 1" size bag with small balls in that absorb moistore..i always keep em ;)

Just remember they've got a finite life unless recharged periodically in a warm (not hot) oven an hour or so at 50 deg or so should sort them out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE