What bombproof tinder?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Looking for ideas and experience with various man made tinders. For a roaring welcoming fire you need:
A. Source of ignition.
B. Enough tinder to get the big stuff going.

I'm all sorted on the first front with good supply of ferro rods, BIC lighters, peanut lighters, waterproof matches and occasional go at friction fire. I'm all for gathering birch bark and fat wood, splitting wood and feather stick making. But sometimes after many miles in crappy conditions you want fire right here and right now. What can I carry to "cheat" and have a fire as quick and easy as possible in this kind of conditions:

Most times that's when you need it the most. I've had good experience with Wettinder by UST but it's stupid expensive. Recently been carrying a small squirty bottle of Dragonfuel gel which is great as you can start cooking on the fire asap, there is no petrol stink to it. So something that can be chucked between half dry sticks in less than perfect conditions to help kick start the fire. I guess more of a survival question than bushcrafty.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I have successfully used insect repellent in an emergency :) - OK it has to be one that's carried in alcohol but many are.

My other fall-back for wet conditions is cotton wool to get a flame from the ferro rod followed by rubber innertube to maintain a flame for long enough to ignite wet kindling.

Reactions: Madriverrob

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You know those wee tins of vaseline ? well you can get the stuff in tiny little squirty tubes with screw on caps in Boots (on sale just now, it's usually around £2.50)
A wee squirt of that on anything dry and organic....even smeared on a paper hankie, though cotton wool is better, but it works on bark, etc., too....and you'll have a flame enough to reliably start a fire.

It's useful otherwise too, it's good on wind chapped lips and hands, and it's good on small cuts and grazes.

Between that and pieces of rubber inner tube, that's the 'man-made' stuff tidily to hand.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
As you show us spruce and pine forest:

The little twigs of these trees should be fine. I have found dry ones in all weather conditions.

Once in Berlin I have even seen that a Sylvester rocket did ignite a living spruce tree. The tree nearly exploded.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Esbit-tablets is my choice.
Put a couple (or more) of Esbit-tablets on the ground, squirt some Dragonfue gel on top of them. Lights easily and keeps burning for quite a while.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Yes, Hexamine works, better though if first treated with strong nitric acid ... :whistling:

(Don't do that!)

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Greek fire?

(But dont ask me how you make it. I dont think anyone knows)

Potassium permangate and glycerine

But i would keep them well apart in transit

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Get a big lump of magnesium from a industrial heating system, take a surform to it but not too fast, get a big pile of gratings, mix with vasaline and cotton wool and seal it in a tub for the proverbial rainy day. The vasaline stops the magnesium from degrading as well as burning itself and the cotton wool is both fuel and binding agent. Best not to look at it once it starts going, sparks from a distance will set it off.

Then there's always rusty iron filings mixed with aluminium dust.....

Or whale napalm

ATB

Tom

Reactions: Brizzlebush

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE