What did you see in the woods today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Miniwhisk

Forager
Apr 7, 2010
Gloucestershire
Ramsons - thousands of them. Not flowering yet but pungent enough!

There are Plenty of squirrel here and birds of all kind in good voice. Upon picking up a small chunk of punkwood, a woodlouse and a millipede made their escape. Just goes to show the number of creatures that rely on dead wood for their habitat.

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
HEARD the first cuckoo here in Fife on the 6th, then again on 8th.
In Assynt some moorland lochs have islands = no sheep grazing = extensive native woods - never saw so many warblers & cuckoos in my life!

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I've just returned from North Wales, the woods up there are full of bird life right now after an abundant cone crop. Finches everywhere including some nice flocks of brambling and crossbill

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
We had our first Willow Warblers today (New Forest). We've been listening for them but haven't heard them until now. We had a good view of Gold Crest. Haven't seen these in years....but regularly hear them. Also had a Raven flying over. Poor view but good to hear. During our walk, we flushed several pairs of Mandarin Ducks from the water courses we were following.

We saw a large herd of Red Deer, a small herd of Fallow Deer and a single Roe Deer. It's a rare day that we don't see deer. The forest is full of them.

As yet, we've not heard any Cuckoos.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Did a spring fungus foray. Has been dry, so found next to nothing.

Came across a caterpillar of the Drinker moth later on though
17188590472_4c98fa24b9_b.jpg

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Pinus coulteri probably has the biggest cones, 40cm long and 1.9kg max.
Pinus edulis supplies most of the edible "pine-nut" market in North America, native habitat are the 4-corners states: Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico.
All other species should be edible but tedious to collect, particularly from serotinous cones.

Today, I saw two Cabbage Whites (Pieris rapae ?), most, most unusual.
Commonly early spring butterfly that I expect to see is the Mourning Cloak (Nymphalis antiopa).
I think the common name in the UK is Camberwell Beauty, they over winter as adults.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Not in the woods yet, but standing on one of the bridges in the village looking down into the gin clear water at the wee brown trout nestled into a current and a dipper working it's way under water going up the stream. Lovely sunny frosty morning, going to be a cracking day. :D

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
Not in the woods yet, but standing on one of the bridges in the village looking down into the gin clear water at the wee brown trout nestled into a current and a dipper working it's way under water going up the stream. Lovely sunny frosty morning, going to be a cracking day. :D

Sounds great Goatboy. This morning I've taken the kids swimming and made tea (slow cooker pulled pork). I'm sitting here looking out the window and thinking we need to get out.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I must get my slow cooker out. Great when you live alone, come im to cooling smells and its like the elves have made your tea for you :D cheers for the reminder.

Jun 13, 2010
North Wales
Cramp ball fungus. From my dad's garden.....pretty much the woods. It was on the underside of some very dead and rotting wood. Ash I think. Would post a PIC but it's in the boot of the car. Derp.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE