What did you buy today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Thanks to whoever it was who posted about Beaver Bushcraft (you know who you are! ;) ), I now have a cute minature firesteel and tinderbox in a gorgeous leather pendant and a mini Viking horse firesteel (with tinderbox) to drool over. They are both so pretty and work really well.

I’ll probably still use the (really good) fire steel I bought off @John Fenna at the Bushmoot for routine use and when weight/bulk doesn’t matter. But for something small and pretty that takes up less space than a ferro rod, they are perfect. The horse would even make for a nice pendant for everyday wear.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Thanks to whoever it was who posted about Beaver Bushcraft (you know who you are! ;) ), I now have a cute minature firesteel and tinderbox in a gorgeous leather pendant and a mini Viking horse firesteel (with tinderbox) to drool over. They are both so pretty and work really well.

I’ll probably still use the (really good) fire steel I bought off @John Fenna at the Bushmoot for routine use and when weight/bulk doesn’t matter. But for something small and pretty that takes up less space than a ferro rod, they are perfect. The horse would even make for a nice pendant for everyday wear.

Just had a peek at that site...oooh shiny things! I don't need more stuff, or I'd be waving my card in their direction. I just have to sort out my overload of kit. I've spent lockdown buying bits out of sheer boredom and dreaming of getting out on various adventures that didnt happen. Also Making enough stuff to fill a shop, and it has to stop!!!!!!
Please stop tempting me, I implore you.!!!!!!! :)
The good thing is, I've made up two homeless rucksacks with basic gear in and given them to the local homeless charity, who were very grateful, and sent some of my less well fitting..(read too small) outdoor clothing to the rohan charity that provides clothing for youngsters to get out in the countryside properly equipped and have good experiences in nature.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Just had a peek at that site...oooh shiny things! I don't need more stuff, or I'd be waving my card in their direction. I just have to sort out my overload of kit. I've spent lockdown buying bits out of sheer boredom and dreaming of getting out on various adventures that didnt happen. Also Making enough stuff to fill a shop, and it has to stop!!!!!!
Please stop tempting me, I implore you.!!!!!!! :)
The good thing is, I've made up two homeless rucksacks with basic gear in and given them to the local homeless charity, who were very grateful, and sent some of my less well fitting..(read too small) outdoor clothing to the rohan charity that provides clothing for youngsters to get out in the countryside properly equipped and have good experiences in nature.
Sorry, that was not my intention! (honest!) Amazing looking stuff on there though.

Making stuff to give away is a brilliant idea, though, if you’re got the skills for it. Well done you!

I am slowly making my way through making stuff with the material that I’ve got around the house, but it’s more for our own use. Got some beeswax to render and then turn into various salves and balms (mainly for materials but also for people), to see what works best for me. And some fleeces that needs felting or spinning and so on.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Sorry, that was not my intention! (honest!) Amazing looking stuff on there though.

Making stuff to give away is a brilliant idea, though, if you’re got the skills for it. Well done you!

I am slowly making my way through making stuff with the material that I’ve got around the house, but it’s more for our own use. Got some beeswax to render and then turn into various salves and balms (mainly for materials but also for people), to see what works best for me. And some fleeces that needs felting or spinning and so on.

I've got hundreds of half finished /waiting to be started projects myself. Including beeswax salves to make like yourself, having learned at the wilderness gathering last year, and a nice fleece to card and felt into felt boots...at least that's the plan. But I'm trying to finish the knitted squares blanket this winter, I use up all my knitting odds and ends to make squares and then sew them together. Just finished the last one, and now have the hated job of sewing in ends on 100 of them, before connecting them all together. I made 50 this winter. Two years in the making so far.
I do love those dragon steels though, and the leatherwork is amazing. I'm so tempted. I might reward myself when the blanket is finished.

Reactions: SaraR and Bearmont

Bearmont

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2022
Germany
Bought bags of cetyl alcohol, hydro palm glyceride and beeswax and aim to make some colloidal silver creams among other things.

I've been wrangling with myself about the Skrama 240 and 200, downside being that I live in Germany where these long blades are not legal to carry. Just use 'em in the garden? Meh. Backpack with a zipper lock is one possible way.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have had a mosey round town, gone in the charity shops.

I picked up a couple of books on building a treehouse; Its for my woodworking friends at the Crannog. (Though I suspect they didnt have many tree houses in the Iron Age; however what remains would they leave?)

And some jogging bottoms; a twofold purpose; to use as templates, and eventually make liners for my proposed trousers; one pair in checked wool and the other leather. (might need something warmer than just single layer linens).

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
6 ikea clip top jars
A book on soap making.
Also a 400g bag of propper arran wool, which I'm now knitting a tank top/ sleeveless vest with,
Two pairs of cotton wincette pyjamas, one is a posh kath kidson label, practically new.
Not a bad charity shop haul this week.
Not realy bushcraft, or shiny, but all worth getting for my lifestyle.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I think this proves that both of us are boyfriendless...

(Though if I had a boyfriend no doubt he would be the type to take his collection of spiky plastic dinosaurs/half assembled motorbike engine to bed...)

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I think this proves that both of us are boyfriendless...

(Though if I had a boyfriend no doubt he would be the type to take his collection of spiky plastic dinosaurs/half assembled motorbike engine to bed...)

I have been known to have a motorbike engine in my bedroom... but then it was a bedsit. :)
With a good pair of wincy pj's and a cup of hot chocolate, who needs a fella? Pj's don't snore, or arrive home, inebriated, at 1 am , trying to be quiet, and making more noise that two cats fighting in a biscuit tin!!!!
Just jesting boys.

ONE

Nov 21, 2019
N. Ireland
Not today, but this week. 1980s (ish) vintage German Army sleeping bag. The one with the arms. Almost purely as a nostalgia item, I slept around most of Europe and on so many ATC camps in one of these in my teens. It's in beautiful, near new condition but is different in some significant ways from the one I remember. Foremost in that it's in two parts, inner and waterproof cover, my old one was all-in-one. Best of all, local classified ad, £35. I'm doing a charity sleepout this week and the forecast is reasonable, I think I'll use it just for the memories.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Not a damn thing. My kitchen is full of food and drink. I found 2 x 500ml jars of dried Roma tomatoes packed in olive oil for the past 4 years. Perfect condition

I fill a 12oz glass with a medley of frozen blueberries, strawberries and peach slices. Picked at the peak and not a rotten bit in the lot. Then, fill up all the cracks and crevices with Martini dry vermouth or Rosso or Bianco. Coldest drink that I can prepare.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The dry vermouth is still the best match for the frozen fruit. Bianco is strongly vanilla and the rosso just disappears, masked by the fruits, I suppose.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE