What did you buy today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Type-6-Protector-Lamp-II.jpg

I treated myself to a second Eccles Protector lamp.

A splendid piece of engineering.

Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire

Could you please try the link again - I am just getting '404 error'

API invocation error: Error404Page

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Hmm. Me too. Tried everything and nothing makes the link, well, link. However, copy and paste into the URL bar and it takes you there no problem.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I treated myself to a second Eccles Protector lamp.

A splendid piece of engineering.

I don't suppose you happen to be a leading authority on lamps do you? I've got one that I found in my gran's house after she died and would like to know where it came from. It's got a plaque saying E. Thomas & Williams Ltd but no model number or anything helpful like that. It looks different to the ones I've found on-line. I've been wanting to polish it up and light it one day but I'm not sure if it's just for decorative use.

P1170390.jpg

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I don't suppose you happen to be a leading authority on lamps do you? I've got one that I found in my gran's house after she died and would like to know where it came from. It's got a plaque saying E. Thomas & Williams Ltd but no model number or anything helpful like that. It looks different to the ones I've found on-line. I've been wanting to polish it up and light it one day but I'm not sure if it's just for decorative use.

P1170390.jpg

I'm afraid I am no expert and that is not one I've seen before.

I take it you have seen this web page?

Might be worth talking to the National Mining Museum, they might be able to tell you something.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I'm afraid I am no expert and that is not one I've seen before.

I take it you have seen this web page?

Might be worth talking to the National Mining Museum, they might be able to tell you something.

I saw that one. Most of their lamps seem to have the large oval plaque like the one shown there but I can't find any that match this one. Big Pit national coal museum is only a mile or so from my house as the raven flies actually so that's a good idea. Sadly I'm not a raven and there's a big mountain in the way but it's only a 20 minute drive or a 2 hour hike.

Reactions: Nomad64

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
I saw that one. Most of their lamps seem to have the large oval plaque like the one shown there but I can't find any that match this one. Big Pit national coal museum is only a mile or so from my house as the raven flies actually so that's a good idea. Sadly I'm not a raven and there's a big mountain in the way but it's only a 20 minute drive or a 2 hour hike.

+1 for Big Pit Museum.

FWIW I have one I inherited which I’m pretty sure is a reproduction one (or at least one never intended to be used underground) which is by the same maker and does have a bigger plate which includes a serial number. Works just fine - just like a more sophisticated hurricane lamp.

Not much to go wrong with them and no reason why it can’t be used.

Lovely things. :)

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Not much to go wrong with them and no reason why it can’t be used.

I don't know about that. According to the website link above:

"The company continues to operate from a factory in Robertstown, having moved there after their Aberdare premises were destroyed by fire in 1978."

I'm sure it wasn't connected to their lamps... :angelic2:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales

P1170390.jpg
I've got one by the same makers that I know to have been a working lamp, and it is a little different to yours; I think they've made them for years like yours that folks could buy at the mining museum and places like that and as far as I know they are perfectly functional and will last as long as those certifird to go underground.

Mine, however, is no longer functional as when I went to put it back on it's shelf I dropped it and shattered the glass, so I'm off to try and source a replacement........:bawling:

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
I don't know about that. According to the website link above:

"The company continues to operate from a factory in Robertstown, having moved there after their Aberdare premises were destroyed by fire in 1978."

I'm sure it wasn't connected to their lamps... :angelic2:

Could have been sabotage by the rival lot from Lancs who made Wayland’s!

Pretty sure mine is the 4120 model on the companies website.

http://www.welshminerslamps.com/miners_lamps_fullsize.shtml

Yours looks pretty authentic and has a wick - the purely ornamental are the R02/3 shown on the company’s website and are only 3” tall.

Perhaps test it outside! ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE