What did you buy today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
From the bay of evil, A Cree TTS Conversion for 2D Cell Torch to replace the old incandescent bulb on my Linpac British Army Angled Head Torch. (£11.95 inc. P&P)

Works a treat blindingly bright, well worth the effort!

clydeman

Aug 9, 2017
Glasgow
:)Great wee Chinese cook kit...esbit stove with eight fire cubes and two mess tins....was £7.00.....sale 10 pence ,yes 10 pence...and a whistling camp kettle for stealth camping:p....10 pence...would have got more but as usual could not for greedy folk with trollies stacked high:dunno:...all from my local b&m

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
All things Tilley can be found here
http://www.base-camp.co.uk/tilley.html
The only thing missing in our local antique / junk shop is a cardboard cut-out of Aunty Wainwright. Nearly got out relatively unscathed today with an 'Ever Ready' all rubber torch (my brother had one as a kid and never let me play with it) but caught a whiff of Paraffin...

View attachment 45769

Can anybody recommend a good source for Tilley mantles?

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
Got this today
My sister started work at a new diy store Bunnings, didn't rate the so called warehouse prices but found the 550w aeg grinder for £99, managed to get a discount on there staff family and friends day, £75, starts up and runs really fast and quiet, has lights built in to the shrouds and has an extended 6 year warrentee when registered on online.
Will make some modifications to it fo my needs, got my old one next to it for comparison.

Trotsky

Got this today
My sister started work at a new diy store Bunnings, didn't rate the so called warehouse prices but found the 550w aeg grinder for £99, managed to get a discount on there staff family and friends day, £75, starts up and runs really fast and quiet, has lights built in to the shrouds and has an extended 6 year warrentee when registered on online.
Will make some modifications to it fo my needs, got my old one next to it for comparison.

Stick some new cooler cutting wheels on it and you're well away.

Trotsky

Thanks Trotsky, could you explain a bit more on cooler cutting wheels please.

Those grey wheels that come on grinders from factory produce a ton of heat when they cut. Not a problem if you're just shaping steel ready to weld up or something. If you're wanting to sharpen something an not ruin the temper or simply get a better finish faster then you need better wheels. There's a variety out there, Red, White and Blue (there's diamond too but forget those unless you got 6 numbers on saturday!) The blue wheels are the best but are more costly, red are the cheaper end with white in the middle ground. I'm told the blue wheels are favoured by some wood workers for sharpening chisels.
This might be helpful: http://www.peterchild.co.uk/grind/grindingwheel.htm

(not affiliated, just googled and found that)

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
Those grey wheels that come on grinders from factory produce a ton of heat when they cut. Not a problem if you're just shaping steel ready to weld up or something. If you're wanting to sharpen something an not ruin the temper or simply get a better finish faster then you need better wheels. There's a variety out there, Red, White and Blue (there's diamond too but forget those unless you got 6 numbers on saturday!) The blue wheels are the best but are more costly, red are the cheaper end with white in the middle ground. I'm told the blue wheels are favoured by some wood workers for sharpening chisels.
This might be helpful: http://www.peterchild.co.uk/grind/grindingwheel.htm

(not affiliated, just googled and found that)

Thanks for that bud, will get a blue and a white I think.

Brynglas

Two of Leaky5's excellent notebook pouches.
Made to fit my Alwych notebooks.
First class bits of kit, very well made and just the job for what I've been looking for.
8fc61a3d4e96894b3350c50c8ee6ffe0.jpg
f3938fea1ded38c86a015d7025e0c536.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
Hello
What is the difference between SA germolene and that in uk please?
In the UK they stopped selling the ointment about 4 years ago, you can now only get the slimy white stuff. The ointment is sticky, oily, pink, smells great and contains zinc oxide. It's the best treatment for chapped fingers I've ever come across.

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
I picked up a Fjallraven Telemark jacket with a broken zip from Ebay for £45, another fiver for a zip and I should be good to go.
Apart from the zip it almost looks unworn.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE