what did everyone think then?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Using the Beeb as an advertizing vehicle? Surely not!

Next week Patrick Moore is going to be talking about Jupiter and Saturn ... but we arn't going to see any pictures and he's not really going to tell us anything about them because he wants us all to go out and buy books, telescopes and go on courses.

Hmmmm ....

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I've been thinking about this - I know, don't look so bloomin shocked! - I'm wondering if this first few episodes are kind of scene setting for the following set which may have more of a practical aspect.

I have however found the 2 programs so far to be really engrossing. A welcome respite from the usual dross inflicted upon us.

Dave

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I think both programmes have been great. My wife was very pleased with herself on being able to guess that the second was based in Venezuela within the first 5 seconds, lucky guess if you ask me.

The book and DVD are to be released next spring now with the second round of programs (amazon had it down as Sept this year but now say 4 to 6 weeks) why don't they just sell us the DVDs and have done with it. Someone mentioned Heros of Telemark earlier and that was on ages ago. Sorry if someone already mentioned that but I haven't had time to read all 5 pages of the thread.

By the way while I was away for 2 weeks in the lakes you lot managed just over 2500 posts!!!! How am I supposed to read all of that :?:

Bill

jakunen

Native
tenbears10 said:
By the way while I was away for 2 weeks in the lakes you lot managed just over 2500 posts!!!! How am I supposed to read all of that :?:

Bill
Well, surely you don't have anything more important to do than reading all our pearls of wisdom!!!:yikes: :wink:

Just skim the ones that you're interested in, you should get the jist.

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
tenbears10 said:
The book and DVD are to be released next spring now with the second round of programs (amazon had it down as Sept this year but now say 4 to 6 weeks)

Ah, that might explain the odd shipping estimates I've got on my account against the book.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
hmm it does seem this series might turn into another RM world tour....
But maybe the one in the spring is Just UK ! I do hope so.
Fingers crossed

Rich :roll:

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Hahahaaa, I was there where Ray walked!
I went to Venzuela last year to climb the Tabletop mountain and saw Angel falls. The scenery around there is absolutely stunning. On the teppui you feel like your are on the moon. We camped on top for a night and I bathed in one of the natural (icecold) baths. Brought tears to my eyes to see it all again. Brought it all back......

Lennart

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
Wow Ducky, that's really amazing!

Enjoyed the episode, happy to just sink into the general atmosphere of it all. Bit annoyed he stated...there's only three knots you need...yes...and they would be...

However, if I've learnt something that I didn't know before, I can't complain, and I have, so I'm not.

:eek:):

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Enchanting program!

Bit more bushcraft knowhow this time too. :super:

Wouldn't that forest be just the place to re-locate the entire cast of Emmerdale, Corrie and 'Stenders - minus the crew of course! :naughty:

Dave

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I thought it was a well paced informative episode that showed us skills that we can use here as well as in the jungle. The stories were good and the filming was good, although I’m no expert on that!

I have to say that I like the way Ray seems to have settled into this series, he seems really happy to be there, enjoying himself and even though we’re just getting glimpses of the skills they’re enough to picture things and fill in a few pieces…

Even though I’m still a bit disappointed that the whole series isn’t based on bushcraft skills closer to home I’m settling into this new series and I think rather good, keep it up Mr R

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
I agree, it's wonderful to see someone so at ease and unafraid in an environment so often branded as hostile and dangerous and one to be avoided at all costs.

Seeing Ray washing in the rivers, eating from the flora, really 'being' in the jungle, not just journeying through it if you get my meaning is a great thing to watch.

It just shows how fear of one's environment can be addressed with knowledge. My friend looked at me with deep concern and not a little horror the other day when I offered her some blackberries I'd just picked and told her I was drinking nettle tea! 'But you don't know what's been on it' she exclaimed, :yikes: obviously thinking I might drop down dead after consuming my pickings!

I think she should be watching this series, may do her some good! Being wary and respecting your environment is one thing, but to fear it can only lead to increased separation from it.

Ray's good at counteracting that with ease.

:biggthump

GrahamD

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 2, 2004
Sussex
Another good episode - I was straining my eyes to see the knots - I know Ray taught me the Siberien knot years ago so I must see if I can remember it!! - And wow - the Angel Falls - I'd love to go there - all I need is no mortgage, no kids at UNI, no expensive hobbies and a better paid job and I'd take the wife there tomorrow!! :)

Graham

GrahamD

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 2, 2004
Sussex
Sorry all, one other thing - did anyone recognise the tin that Ray had his sharpening stone in - is it ex millitary and can I get one from Army surplus??

G

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
Fantastic, Inspirational, exciting and completely mindblowing.

Right: survival,bushcraft,exped (albeit not jungle) ,ml, type person requires a non 2.5k gbp costing jungle trip run by uk outfit/indigenous/native people, were do I go?

Please give me a tel no or website.

Chris :super:

Zacary

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2004
Film footage is good and honest, you got to see the film crew and the helicopter that dropped him off at the top of the bluff he was supposed to have climb, but I am afraid I find the narrative flat and boring. The monotone speak over is plain annoying.

Usually I am not moved to speak on the threads as I lack experience in matters pertaining to skills but come on guys these programmes lack focus as we say back home they suck. Some said one of his books were all about him, well I feel this series is too. It is not pertinant to bushcraft it is simply a long boring advertising board to sell a product and in this case that is the presenter.

Also I see the kit hang up you brits have has raised its head again. That plastic box look like the decontamination pack from US and Canadian forces Nuclear, biological and chemical warefare kits.

Last complaint before I lapse into silence once more. Having watched the DVD's I find all the programmes very repeatius, he seems to do the same thing over and over. I was lead to believe by this forum his skill base was large however in all his three series on DVD and now the one on TV all I see are the same skills different back drop.

OK do you guys still lynch people over here? Well its back to the office I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE