Most durable/long lasting waterproof jackets (without maintenance)

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Cotton may take a lot to produce - but at least it rots back into the planet instead of polluting it forever as synthetics do ...
Forgot to mention the amount of insect poisons used in growing cotton. Actually not all synthetics are forever, apparently natures answer to polyamides and polyesters was bacteria that break them up. Polyester fleece is often mentioned for microplastics, true but the same fiber used as pile fabric drops that to almost insignificant level. Sometimes just being clever pays of.

I have had hemp clothing in the past but prefer nettle.
So did Germans in WW1 and look what happened to them. :angelic2: I can use linen, never tried hemp (fabric available from Romania) or nettle (fabric available from Germany). I have also heard that a lot of people very much prefer cotton or any cotton derivative to the point that these bast fibers are not really a general alternative.

The only real problem with the generally used synthetic fibers is fire, with thick enough fibers they do not burn easily but melt and form holes. There are some very fire resistant fibers available but they are more expensive and the most common, Nomex, has very poor wear characteristics as the fiber splits easily. Wool is much better (I wonder why no one has made a Keratin analog alternative), of course it is not only the material but also the structure. Some proteins and polyamides are chemically not that far apart.

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
Gore tex, in my honest opinion, is a scam. If you need to vent it via zips, its not breathable. Period.
Being an American, its hard to get anything other than goretex, or goretex like, fabrics, here. I have an Arktix B310 that I absolutely love. Its fairly breathable, and fairly waterproof. I have wetted it out before, in torrential storms-but, then again, the design of the jacket didnt really have that in mind.
I have gone to a good ole two jacket plan: I have a Helly Hansen slicker, 100% waterproof, not breathable in the least. And, the Arktis jacket, for those less rainy, but cool days, where a drizzle, or occasional shower, is in the forecast, but not a day of full on rain.
All my years, I have never found the miracle fabric. I have given up on the search at this point

Reactions: John Fenna

Springchicken

Aug 29, 2005
Northants.
It seems to me that there is no one ideal fabric or jacket. Given the weird and varied range of conditions that we experience in the U.K., that is understandable. Add to that an individual's tolerance or intolerance of fabric and cut and one can understand the insuperable challenge confronting outdoor clothes manufacturers.

Over the years, I have tried a good number of variants, some notably better than others. For me, the key thing is the cut of the jacket; generally, the fabric is a secondary consideration as none of them really do what they claim. My current favourite, based on this, is a rain jacket made by Cactus Outdoor. It's a burly fabric that keeps out the deluge but also 'breathes' tolerably well. It is synthetic but looks as though it'll keep me dry for a l-o-n-g time. Not ideal but compromise is key in this challenging world.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE