What books would you recommend?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lee2205

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2010
guildford
any book by ray mears:D or collins gem range of pocket books eg 'food for free' , 'mushrooms & toadstools' , 'knots' , 'tress' , 'sas survival guide' the list goes on
lee

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Another vote for the Mors Kochanski bushcraft book.

I found it a little strange at first as each subject is covered very thoroughly compared to other bushcraft books but it really is amazing the amount of information you find in this book..

JamieG

Jan 3, 2010
North Somerset
The book that got me into bushcraft was a book by Anthony Greenbank called Survival for Young People. It is an old book (1970's) but it is very well thumbed and I have spent many happy times using the book.
Just had Mushrooms by John Wright (the chap on HF-W's River Cottage) as a birthday pressie - well written and at the same time is a jolly read and very informative.

Mountainwalker

Forager
Oct 30, 2008
Sydney
For something a bit different, i.e. no techniques discussed, I would recommend Sigurd Olsen's Reflections from the North Country. Sigurd was an American environmentalist active last century. He spent a lot of his life living in a cabin in the wilderness of Minnesota, particularly kayaking in the lakes and rivers of that region. Sigurd is a gifted writer and this particular book written at the end of his life sums up his wilderness philosophy. I very rarely read a book twice however; this title will be the exception. One of the best books I have ever read.

Biogenic1

Sep 27, 2007
Australia
I'm a HUGE fan of any book by Tom Brown Jr, particularly The Tracker and The Search. Also his field guides are great( but US biased in regards to plants, animal tracks etc.)

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Edwin Tappan Adney...The bark Canoes and skin boats of North America.

Richard Graves...Ten Bushcraft Books... this is an online edition http://tions.net/CA256EA900408BD5/vwWWW/outdoor~03~000

Calvin Rutstrum...The wilderness Life (and other writings, all available via Amazon etc..)

George W Sears...Woodcraft

Horace Kephart...Camping and woodcraft.

As you can see I'm a bit of a romantic in my choice of literature...but then, i find bushcraft to be a romantic way of life...(discuss)

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Contemporary : Mors Kochanski, in a league of his own
"Period" : Horace Kephart Camping and Woodcraft. A wonderful gem you will want to read and re-read !

Here's an idea for you I pinched from someone else. Get a set of six Collins gems on subjects that appeal to you, cover them in sticky back plastic to protect them and keep them in a case in your pack

P1020154.jpg

NS

Last edited:

hedgerow pete

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 10, 2010
smethwick , west midlands
it realy does depend on where you want to go with it, I started from a more militry back ground so i read a lot of the Lofty wiseman stuff, ery good but very hard core, there is Ray mears stuff which is the other extreme were he is a back woods man rather than a survivalist, what i would suggest is to start some where say like foraging in the hedgerows and then read up on free food by maybe and such like and then slowly progress from there

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I should thank you for this post as it has forced me to track-down a book I read whilst at school some 40 years ago but could never recall the title. It has clearly influenced me more than I had hitherto appreciated. Apparently there was a film made of it too but we all know how they can deviate from the plot for the sake of heightened intrigue etc!

MY SIDE OF THE MOUNTAIN
"Sam Gribley is terribly unhappy living in New York City with his family, so he runs away to the Catskill Mountains to live in the woods — all by himself. With only a penknife, a ball of cord, forty dollars, and some flint and steel, he intends to survive on his own. Sam learns about courage, danger, and independence during his year in the wilderness, a year that changes his life forever".

41YBESYWKXL_SS500_.jpg

Cheers

AliMck

Jan 26, 2010
Surrey
As a newbie I have found this thread very useful so thank you very much everyone.

Off to my local charity shop in a mo to see if there is anything lurking and it looks like Kichanski is the one to get. RM is always a first on peoples lips these days but it is good to hear of a pre-RM book.

Alison

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Nonsuch - My eyesight is not as good as some but what is the dial thing next to the pouch in your photo?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE