What books would you recommend?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Well spotted ! It is a weather computer. You put in the wind direction and the baro pressure and it tells you what the weather is going to do (in theory). Slips nicely inside the case with the books. Bit of fun (probably as accurate as the BBC's super computer)

NS

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
If anyone lives near Lancaster can I recommend The Carnforth Bookstore. It has modern books downstairs including the little gem books and RM, but upstairs there is an antiquarian bookshop too. I am not sure if they have much directly bushcraft related but I am sure there will be some natural world related books. Even if you don't find anything of relevance to bushcraft it is one of those rabbit warren types of places that feel like you'll find some bit of treasure round the next shelf if you just spent another hour or two there. If you like books of any kind you'll probably enjoy this shop.

When I was at Uni I got on my list of must have books for my whole course not just the first year an out of print technical book (I was doing something like chemical engineering / extractive mettalurgy). The whole family were sent out scouring antiquarian and second hand bookstores for it to no success. Since then I did a second degree and moved up to the Lancaster area only to find by luck that I lived not too far from this shop. Out of curiosity I looked in and found this out of date book plus a few others that they suggested reading in the library even buy if your flush. Those other books were 100 years old but still relevant. My point being there must be old books out there that are still relevant to bushcraft afterall it is an old subject. :D

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Good idea Nonsuch. I'm afraid I'm always looking at the crossed winds technique myself but can never remember how the upper and lower wind directions work. Basically I remember who to use this rough prediction tool based on upper and lower wind direction as long as it takes for me to put the book down.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Last one I bought, was Wilderness Survival Second Edition, Gregory J Davenport, on a reccomendation from Paul Kirtleys site.

Ive browsed it so far, and it looks very good.

Jul 5, 2014
Derbyshire :-D
I think the best bushcraft book ever written is the fantastic Wildwood Wisdom by Ellsworth Jaeger. 500ish pages of pure bushcraft information. Never learnt so much from one book!

backpacker

Forager
Sep 3, 2010
Eastbourne, East Sussex
Hi i am looking for some new Bushcraft reading.
What books would you recommend?

Coops

Hi Coops,
Would have helped if you could of told the forum which books you already have as we could be giving you books that you have already read????
Anyway my choice would be anything by Ray Mears and Mors Kochanski is brilliant, but one book I have in my collection not sure if you are still able to get it is 'No Need To Die' by the late Eddie McGee also another book you can get by Collins Gem is the SAS Survival Book its small enough to fit in your pocket and is a good to have as and when you need it!
Happy Reading :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE