What Bivi would you reccomend?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scottisha5

Maker
Nov 14, 2009
Motherwell, Scotland, UK
Hi Folks,

Hopefully not been done to death recently, what Bivi Bag would you recommend? Something for all seasons and easy to get into as well as light.

Thanks in advance

John
Scottisha5
Motherwell

Last edited:

scottisha5

Maker
Nov 14, 2009
Motherwell, Scotland, UK
Thanks Shewie, Im in the Portly Gents Club these days hence need easy entry. I used the army bivi many moons ago and agree its good, but alas I struggle to get in one now.

Im seriously about to hit the order button on a snugpak unless anyone knows better.

Cheers

John

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
How big is portly ? The Snugpak ain't that big that's all.

Fine for a 5' 10" 12st nothing like me but it could be a bit cramped for the fuller gentleman.

If you like the hooped ones then the Terra Novas give you a lot more space, but they also have the price tag to match.

Russ (warthog1981) had a nice eVent bag out the other night, you could ask him what that's like for space.
http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=776&CFID=1439372&CFTOKEN=21439405
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50131

TeeGeeBee

Tenderfoot
Nov 30, 2009
South Lakes
:rolleyes: I've had a Mountain Gear bag for 10+ years. Hasn't seen heavy wear but has been out in all weathers, on grass, heather and rock ledges. Never leaked, easy to wipe down, light weight and packs down small.

TGB

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
:rolleyes: I've had a Mountain Gear bag for 10+ years. Hasn't seen heavy wear but has been out in all weathers, on grass, heather and rock ledges. Never leaked, easy to wipe down, light weight and packs down small.

TGB

I've seen one of those and they do look the dogs, are they goretex Daf ?

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
If you can get hold of one of the extended opening army bivis, they have a lot more space:

ForSale057.jpg

I hope atross doesn't mind me linking to his image.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I'm 6ft with a 44 chest and love the Snugpak Stratosphere...
WoodloreBushcraftFundamentals-Au-1.jpg

DSCN3024.jpg

Not as tough as the issue bag, but once you have thrown away the heavy steel tent pegs and replaced them, a nice light alternative.

Simon

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Hi John,

As you know i used the jupiter at the Brownlee Pond meet, you would fit in it no probs mate, another option would be the duluth bedroll (large - not a slight on you john, its just got tons of room), its about twice as wide as a bivi, but is made of canvas, so is heavier and not a waterproof as goretex, but i just rubbed a block of greenland wax and hairdryered it into the threads and tested it out from Friday to Sunday afternoon up Loch Lomondside, it rained most of the weekend overnight and the bedroll was way better to sleep in than the bivi bag and using the True North small tarp it was completely dry all weekend, hope this helps mate.

P.S You watch those debt levels John, dont ruin it now

Happy shopping

Colin

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
They are a good bit of kit John I just got one a while back but its not been used in anger really yet.

Will be looking for a couple of sneaky overnighters very soon so will do a bit of a review maybe.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE