What before RayMears?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

faca

Forager
Dec 10, 2003
SPAIN
Hi I´d like to know what before May Mears?
I mean seems like bushcraft is known after RM bussines and I want to know where was bushcraft before original fountains??
Thanks

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Orlando before old mearsy called it bushcraft people in the UK like Lofty Wiseman and Eddy McGee taught it as survival and the army in many respects taught it as fieldcraft.

Bushcraft is what Mors Kochanski has been teaching for the last 40 years over in Canada mind you SO I guess he really coined the phrase and Mearsy popularised it thanks to the dread media of TV!!

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
In the sixties/seventies there was interest in self sufficiency, John Seymour, was a great advocate, and I believe he still runs a self sufficiency course in Ireland (his books are good reading too), I think over the years there has always been "bushcraft", it is just the emphasis that has changed.

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
greg2935 said:
John Seymour, was a great advocate, and I believe he still runs a self sufficiency course in Ireland (his books are good reading too).

No longer. John Seymour died on September 14, 2004.

Burnt Ash

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
Also hidden away in Scout troops under the guise of Backwoods camping and use of axe and knife, and other scout badges.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Mors Kochanski coined and popularized the term in Canada publishing the book "Bushcraft" in I think 1987, Ray brought Mors style of wilderness living to the UK and popularized it here under the same name.

whitebuffalo

Banned
Oct 28, 2004
Cornwall
Stuart said:
Mors Kochanski coined and popularized the term in Canada publishing the book "Bushcraft" in I think 1987, Ray brought Mors style of wilderness living to the UK and popularized it here under the same name.

Interesting fact Stuart especially as Ray Mears started woodlore in 1988. I heard somewhere that Ray was supposed to have been taught by Mors Kochanski, I think I picked that up on the bushcraft course I did in the lakes last year.

Either way as you and Gary both said is would seem Mors Kochanski was teaching look before Ray Mears which was what Faca was asking I believe.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Mears stands on lots of shoulders. Tons of stuff written long before Ray got his first wool socks. :lol: A classic example would be Horace Kephart's Camping and Woocraft first published in 1906. This book was extremely popular in its day and that fact that it's still in print tells ya something. And it's not just serendipity that Kephart dedicated his book to Nessmuk. Lots of others. Ernest Thompson Seton, Daniel Carter Beard, E. Kreps, Ellsworth Jaeger. Many others published in the 40s, 50s, 60s, and 70s. The old woodcraft style of camping has only recently declined here in the US as intensive use of many popular trails in the backcountry necessitated new methods that are less destructive. If you want to do "bushcraft" nowadays, you need to go off the beaten path.

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
LOL my first survival book was Penguins book called Survival and I bought that when I was 9 years old back in 1980, I lost these book years ago but it was a very good book.

I learnt a lot of things about the country from the old farmers that helped out on the farm and in the woods and I experimented and explored this I would now know as bushcraft but in them days it was just being comfortable during work or play.

Mears has just been in the right place to be noticed and invited to have a slot on a TV program (Tracks or Country Tracks, I think) this then became his own program.

He is a media person that has shown us many skills from around the world with the help of media research and money. He stopped being an outdoors person years ago and is now a media presenter.

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
thailand3654 said:
i could be wrong but the raymond mears book in the photo liabary first edition is only worth around £250 in excellent nick. now thats what media can do for you....

And i can tell you it is not his first book
p10100012ms.jpg

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
Ah I am mistaken I have two copies one was published in 1995 and the other in 1990 were as The Complete Outdoor Handbook I have was published in published in 1992 and the second copy I have was published in 1994. Sorry for confusing the subject :oops:

I will keep my mouth shut in future

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
before ray mears nobody was allowed outside except farmers :shock:

...............and they didnt go out at night much

Tant

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE