Hammocks !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Man Friday

Jun 9, 2023
Suffolk
Hi All
I would like some advice regarding Hammocks. Never had one before, never slept in one either but feel that it is the way to go.
I am off to Sweden in September and I would like to know if anyone has advice on what to purchase. What make is best, and then which version, do I need an under blanket etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many Thanks Chris

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Your question as akin to ‘which bushcraft knife?’, or ’what tent?’ It’s huge and much of it is down to your needs and preferences. If you’ve never slept in one, you need to try it before you buy it, it might not suit you at all. I’ve had some miserable nights in a hammock because I wasn’t prepared properly. Some hammocks allow a diagonal lay which is nearly horizontal and allows side sleeping. Others, the more traditional type hammocks are really comfy to lie in to relax but the banana shape might not suit you unless you’re a back sleeper.

Lots of makes out there, and it’s a personal thing as to which you like. My advice would be to go long, and realise you will definitely need either an under quilt or partially inflated pad beneath you. If you go for a pad, which is my preference, make sure your hammock has a double layer beneath forming an envelope or the pad won’t stay where it’s put.

Most here swear by under quilts but I find them a right faff. Centre zip sleeping bags make getting in and out a lot easier. Buy a spare wide mouth Nalgene as a wee bottle if you’re prone to a few beers during the evening.

Also bear in mind that a hammock/tarp/quilt combo isn’t much lighter or less bulky than a tent, in fact there are much lighter and easier to set up tents out there than a hammock set-up.

Makes…Hennessy, Warbonnet, DD, Claytor, there are loads. There’s even a Hammock Forum with separate threads for individual makes.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I recommend trying a cheap one before committing to a set-up, that way you can at least get some experience of them before dropping any serious money.

I'm not a great fan of them, and usually only use one in hilly areas since the allow a "level" sleep on even steep sloping ground providing you can find 2 suitable trees.

Most of the time however i sleep under a hooped bivvy or small tent.

I would recommend taking a face midge net with you since faffing about with the in-built bug net on a hammock can be a pain, and they can tear surprisingly easily if you sit on them at the wrong spot.

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
I use an ENO Jungle nest/ tarp I’ve been using this for 5 years and it’s fantastic. Really packable, easy to set up and has an integrated bug net which will be very useful in Sweden in the summer. Not too badly priced either.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Hammocks are great but there is a learning curve, which often surprises people.

You don't want to skimp on length or width, so go with one that comfortable fits you according to the specs, or go up one size if you can manage the weight/pack size penalty.

You will need an underquilt (or pad), a tarp and (probably) a midge bug net. A built in ridgeline is great, as it reduces the faffing about, but isn't necessary. For top insulation, any blanket or sleeping bag will do. I just open my sleeping bag up and use it as a quilt with a footbox.

Have a look at the hammock forum, for more info than you need but bear in mind that you don't need the best, newest and most expensive to enjoy hammocking. E.g. you really don't need to go mental on the suspension, just use whatever it comes with for now.

Double bottom fabric are handy if you want to use a pad as insulation and for protection against mozzies, or if you need the stronger fabric to take your weight, but there are plenty of good hammocks that are single layer.

I like built in bug nets, as they're less faff than separate ones. Once you're in the hammock I dont think they block the view or anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: Droidy

MikeeMiracle

Aug 2, 2019
Northampton
Unlike with air pads when sleeping on the floor where any cheapo pad "will do" for a short periods the same does not apply to hammocks. You will generally want a longer / wider hammock to get more comfortable in it. Unfortunately I have seen very few instances where buying a cheap hammock off amazon has worked out for anyone, you really want to try a model before you buy it to make sure you can get comfortable in one.

My best advice would be to try and meet up with others who have them so you can try some out or at the very least get someone to discuss the details like roughly what "hang" you should be aiming for and how you should lie in it, if you try and lie straight on like with an air pad the sides will probably come up on you and give you the "banana" effect. There is definitely a learning curve and you want to be on top of that before planning any longer trips out with them.

Droidy

May 7, 2023
Ringwood
I got myself a Night Cat hammock off ebay very comfortable nights sleep, integral mossie net and Rain proof roof.
Underblacket outside is a good idea or foam mat/air mattress inside - stops mossies biting through and heat transfer.
Youtube reviews are good.
I'm a side sleeper .....best nights sleep in my hammock.

BJJJ

Native
Sep 3, 2010
North Shropshire
Hi All
I would like some advice regarding Hammocks. Never had one before, never slept in one either but feel that it is the way to go.
I am off to Sweden in September and I would like to know if anyone has advice on what to purchase. What make is best, and then which version, do I need an under blanket etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many Thanks Chris
Hi, if you are likely to be in Shropshire any time, I have three totally different hammocks with mosquito nets and insulation either built in or underslung that you are welcome to try out. One is a transverse hammock made by Amok and is a flat lay, so very comfortable. I have some woodland, so a proper try out is possible. Might give you an better idea of what suits you before you buy.

• Wow
Reactions: Droidy

Droidy

May 7, 2023
Ringwood
Hi, if you are likely to be in Shropshire any time, I have three totally different hammocks with mosquito nets and insulation either built in or underslung that you are welcome to try out. One is a transverse hammock made by Amok and is a flat lay, so very comfortable. I have some woodland, so a proper try out is possible. Might give you an better idea of what suits you before you buy.
Excellent recommendation there, not come across that style before.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE