What before RayMears?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Well anyone who puts an ash log on a fire that has a cramp ball on it will see that the cramp ball burns like charcoal (as a coal) ...... simple oberservation.... even for a 5yr old.

Ed

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
jakunen said:
I've not managed to track back how far Crampball as a coal goes but it must go back to the time of the Doctrine of something-or-other, (sorry brains gone phut), where they believed a plant told you what it was good.

For example as Lungwort leaves look like an infected lung so was used for lung disorders, the roots of Pilewort resemble - I'll let you work out what that is good for yourself, so it seems logical that as Daldinia concentrica looks like a charred piece of wood...

Jak do you mean sympathetical medicine - where if it looks like a hand its used to treat hand injures ect?

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
jakunen said:
I've not managed to track back how far Crampball as a coal goes but it must go back to the time of the Doctrine of something-or-other, (sorry brains gone phut),
Doctrine of Signatures ;-) There is a very old copy in the british library but I can't remember the date.

Ed

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Gary said:
Not sure Tomtom.

Does anybody know if Roy Croft ever wrote a book?

Another interesting thought, if Ray had managed to pass his army/marine selection and had joined the forces I wonder if bushcraft would be as popular as it is? Maybe he'd have joined the forces camp and this site would now be called SurvivalUK!!

Just a thought ..... now back to Roy Croft..........

Derrr I just realised the guys name isnt Roy Croft its Thomas Roycroft - no one noticed but hey best get it right eh!?

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
bombadil said:
That would be when he took Stickeen out onto the glacier... :eek:): :eek:):
Yep, quite an amazing story. Thanks for the link, that's quite and awesome story too.....it would be fantastic to think that she made it all the way to siberia :ekt:

Stickeen's story is online. Click on the link below, and then on Stickeen in the left column. Then under "Muir's Writings," click on Stickeen: The Story of a Dog.

Stickeen

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE