what backpacks and day sacks do you use?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I like my 120 ltr Bergan with a couple of extra smaller pouches on the outside, have a smaller 65 ltr Karrimor Discovery that is 30+ years old and still going strong, also have a Karrimor day sack that is a 20 + 8 but always seem to fill it up...

I used to have a Karrimor Hot Earth untill about 8 years ago That was riped a part on a high speed spill (well a bit over the speed limit) on the ZZR.....

Last edited:

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
Multi day hikes camping:Karrimor Sabre 45 + sides,
Day in the woods: Sabre 30,
Day on the hills / overnight in B&B/bunkhouse (sleeping bag but no tent) Osprey Talon 33,

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
Finaly got a picture of my backpacks I use for longer hikes.
DSC_0708.jpg

My HelSport. Don't remember the model name. Good alround pack. abt. 60 litres (80 with extensions).
DSC_0707.jpg

From left: Small vintage backpack, probably from the 50's or 60's. More of a colectable than a user.
Number two is a guy many norwegians will recognize; the "Ludvig", Norwegian Army issue Bergans backpack, this is the canvas version. Now retired after decades of army service (I was issued one of these in the mid 90's when I did my duty).
This is the pack I am rebuilding my kit around.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Im currently using an issue motar pack (just about identical to tecmac 50) along with standard plce side pouches, and a response pack. I can alter the setup as needed. The response pack is attached using molle system to rear or bergen, or between side pouches in daysack setup.
1. Bergen as is
2. Bergen with sides
3. Bergen with sides and response pack
4. Sides as day sack
5. Sides with response pack as larger day sack

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
My day pack is an REI 18L 11 oz pack. It will take a 3L hydration bladder, which I really need in the 90 deg+ summer temperatures in the hills here. My trip pack is an REI Flash 62l, which has a sheet frame, a really good waist system and weighs less than 3 lbs. My most treasured is a p42 bergan (the type I used as a cadet in the late 50s) this has a steel frame, is canvas and leather and weighs over 7 lbs. Nowadays only used when I drive to the camp site:)

http://onlinemilitaria.com/shopexd.asp?id=4182&bc=no

Ben98

Forager
Jun 30, 2010
West Yorkshire
Karrimor hot rock 40 for me :)
It does everything I have ever wanted, it is uber comfy and is just the right size for everything from carrying school books to 3 nights away
Its one of the few bits of really good, modern, karrimor gear

Sent using the force

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
I used to have one of those, surprisingly comfy I thought. :)

They were produced by Bergans, and the quality is superb, but in the army they were overloaded with stuff, and we learned to hate it. I plan to modify this one a bit with wider straps and a strap to go over my chest.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Lowe Alpine sting and for EDC and day trips a really battered Berghaus Munro. Both packs are excellent.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I have a few to choose from, but most of the time and for all long walks I use a Crux AK47.

kektura_15.jpg

About six thousand kilometers and still going strong. :)

Based largely on sandebenders continuing praise of his Crux pack, I was led to the wildtrek pack, made by lightwave, and have been very happy with it. For dayhikes or multi day trips. Its very comfy with loads up to 13kg.

For a days bimble, lately, Ive just been taking a smock or coat, and putting stuff in the pockets:

Grace solo Spinntex ESP tarp, with 24 metres of 2mm high vis dyneema [tarp&cordage weighs just 265g! :D]
Opinel ss number 8 gardening knife. 40g
Homemade wilderness chair: 60g
Snowpeak TI mug with some silk with an elastic band for a filter: Bout 98g

Thats a coffee, under a roof, on a comfy chair, bit of whittling, a fire, all for carrying under half a kilo. :bigok:

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Based largely on sandebenders continuing praise of his Crux pack, I was led to the wildtrek pack, made by lightwave, and have been very happy with it..."

Glad to have been useful for a change. :) Lightwave, for those who don't know, are the sister company to Crux, producing trekking packs rather than ones for climbers. I am not a climber but I found Crux before I knew Lightwave existed.

"...Thats a coffee, under a roof, on a comfy chair, bit of whittling, a fire, all for carrying under half a kilo. :bigok:..."

Brilliant! What more could one want. :)

Last edited:

rg598

Native
The pack I use the most is the REI Flash 62. It is a 62 L pack and weighs 3 lb.

0223.jpg

I also have a larger 80 L Gregory pack for temperatures under -20C when the sleeping bag and jacket are just too big to fit in the Flash 62.

Ben98

Forager
Jun 30, 2010
West Yorkshire
Well, since yesterday I am now the proud owner of both a new karrimor alpiniste 45+10 in red (to be used for winter camps and longer trips) and a karrimor x-lite 15 for running and small day trips, keeping my hot rock for 1-2 nighters and summer camps
Happy happy happy :-D
Atb
Ben

Sent using the force

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
My day pack is a Berghaus Munro
Summer overnighter Karrimor Predator 45
Winter overnighter Berghaus Vulcan
I have rocket pockets for the above 2 if needs be

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I have a Deuter Futura 32AC pack which I use as my handbag, day pack, and all round EDC. When I need to carry a bit more, then I have my trusty Berghaus Vulcan.

I am pondering getting something in the 50-60L region to fill in the gap between the two, possibly an Exped lightning 60.

J

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE