what backpacks and day sacks do you use?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
I'm not going to list all of them, but my bergan evolution has hopefully finished in my Kifaru Zulu with XTL. I have a large pod on the front for a GI Woobie and 2 long side pockets for overnighting (tarp, bivi bag and hammock fit in them).

Claudiasboris

adam_myers

Sep 25, 2011
durham
@elen the under pack pouch has 2 waterproof covers in it, it's small to be honest but I've never used or needed it the rest of the pack has loads of room in it, it's a great pack I've had it for years.

@man of tanith the river pack looks amazing I've wanted a canvas pack for a while, few questions,
is it a heavy pack?
Is it comfortable after long distance?(how far you traveled with it)
And doesn't deluth have a very similar pack, if yes what's the differance between them?

Thanks in advance Adam.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I have no pictures.

I used to have one of those swedish army 40L bags but without the frame - now it's just used to take tools to and from the alottment.
I have a cheap 20L lightweight bag for day trips.
I have a Pod Sac which I think is around 50-60L for longer journeys, although it's a bit of a pain as its tall and thin so getting stuff out the bottom is a hassle. Don't use it too much as when I was getting out for longer trips my 40L swedish one did the job easily, now pretty much just use the 20L one for day stuff.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
PLCE bergen,Karrimor Jaguar 65l(old) 70's Norwegian bergen,SADF bergen,the old swedish canvas pack,lowe alpine 35l(20 odd years old) 80-130(brothers got it on long term borrow.) and a vulcan.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
enlighten me, Rich ... webbing order ???

The web belt and suspenders plus everything that's attached to it (ammo, canteens, bayonet,etc,) If the military pack is sized to ride "over' that then the waist belt won't actually be on your waist but higher.

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
I find a Deuter 35+ Guide suits me , plenty big enough for a full day trip with food , water, waterproof etc

f I am just going out for a few hours bimble then a canvas fishing bag by Monarch does for me

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
Heres the day pack I most often use. It is an Norwegian Army issue daypack, nothing fancy, but it does the job.
R0010347.jpg

For scale; the bottle is 1/2 litre.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
For short days - a Kifaru E&E pack, for longer days - a Cactus Climbing day sack (can't remember the name...) and for anything longer - a Mystery Ranch Wolf pack. Not the lightest but wonderfully comfortable and verstaile.

@man of tanith the river pack looks amazing I've wanted a canvas pack for a while, few questions,
is it a heavy pack?
Is it comfortable after long distance?(how far you traveled with it)
And doesn't deluth have a very similar pack, if yes what's the differance between them?

Thanks in advance Adam.

Heavy is difficult to define as we all expect different weights etc, it isn't as heavy as some bergens i own
distance wise i only walk about 5 miles to my local campsite or to and from cars if i go further afield but not much problems there, its as much about getting the packing right but it feel comfortable and i suspect it would be fine over long distances

Duluth do a similar pack never had a duluth to play with or compare but you cannot get Rugged river packs anymore (unless some one sells one on here or ebay etc)as the company stopped manufacturing them real shame in my opinion

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
My most often used are a Karrimor 60-100, an older one without the side pouch attachments. A Gregory Baltoro 70 and a Kelty Peregrine daypack. I have a bunchof other packs, these are the ones that I use most though. I also take a Kelty daypack in black and grey with me on road trips and to places like Disneyland :)

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Not found an "ideal" day pack yet so i alternate between 2.

For hikes under 2 hours i tend to take my Maxpedition Jumbo (0412B) with Janus extension pouch (8001B).

IMG_1833.jpg

IMG_1862.jpg

What i like most about this pack is that by swinging it forwards i can access all the pockets without stopping or removing the bag.
I also like the fact that it's got many pockets and organisation compartments, so i can quickly put my hand on what i want.

Unfortunately it's really uncomfortable, i am ok for about 2 hours after that it really starts becoming a literal pain in the neck.
I've found that by really tightening the belt strap it's more comfortable as the hips then take more weight, but still it's not comfortable for longer hikes.
It's also very heavy.

For longer hikes i use my Osprey Manta 25

IMG_0880.jpg

By far the most comfortable day pack i've ever used.
With it's stand off type design you don't even get much of the wet back syndrome either.
It's also top quality and fairly light weight.

I don't use it on shorter hikes as it's a ball ache getting to stuff.
Apart from the hip belt pockets it's virtually impossible to retrieve anything from the pack without removing it.
Even then it's a nightmare to find anything as there are no loops or elastic to hold anything in place, so you tend to just get a soup of everything in your bag resting at the bottom.
It does have pockets so i am able to store things like the FAK in certain pockets but it's nowhere near as convenient as the Maxped bag to get to anything.

So it's really a compromise between comfort and accessibility to the bags contents for me.
I added 2 shoulder strap pouches to the Osprey so i can access my phone, and GPS, but even the hip belt pockets are difficult to access as they are right back near your bum.

As i', putting on and taking off layers,putting the dog on and off her lead, giving her water etc i probably have to access my pack more than most here, but still i'd buy a slight heavier Osprey pack if it had loop and compartments to stow stuff.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Just 2p on the rocket pak Elen ... Plus from what I rememebr you recently bought a snugpak response pack, I have 1 of these too in black to match my rocket pak, and i can also confirm its possible to wear the response pack round your waste and the rocket pak sits nicely on top of it ... also in wales I had 2 down sleeping bags pushed right down the bottom of the pack no problem and still had bags of room for my tent sleep mat, ectra clothes, food stove water etc. and that was without the side pack.
All in all I would certainly reccomend it but not if your were any taller than me.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Steve

Ta Steve. Fortunately for the Rocket I suffer from Duck's Disease, like me Mam :D, so back length may not be a problem. Very good to hear I can wear the Snugpak Responspak under the Rocket as that was part of the idea of getting it, and I like it a lot.

I have this huge Highlander 5-season sleeping bag which is fab for warmth but only compresses down to something the size of a small day pack! I can't afford down bags as yet so for autumn/winter/spring I need the thing. It's OK if I have the car but a huge bulky thing otherwise, have taken to carrying it separately in a 30L Exped! If I hang it on the back of the Murmur it can make balance interesting!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE