What are the aims & purpose of Bushcrafting?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
why does bushcraft have to have a purpose
And you are only telling me now, after some hundreds of days spent living outdoors and sleeping in tents that I had no purpose or aim, all in vain!? :eek:

Isn't that I like it enough, how many other half hobbies have an aim?

• Wow
Reactions: Spirit fish

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Without reading through the entire thread, I hope I am not repeating, but this is my opinion anyway and I shall confine myself to answering Le Loup's original question.
First of all there is no such thing as "Bushcrafting" with a capital B it is an invention, which largely describes what people have done for survival in various ages and environments. Technology is not out of place in "bushcraft" as we can see from this forum, with all the discussions on the merits of this or that item of clothing, knife, rucksack, tent or whatever. It is about using the most appropriate equipment for your situation to maximum advantage, thus in the age before long before I was born it would be firelighting with flint and steel, when I was growing up it was a box of matches, but still the skills of laying a fire, lighting it, and keeping it lit were essential everyday household skills you had to have. Changing a plug, replacing a tap washer, fixing a leaky washing machine, perhaps they are in a sense related perfectly to the skill you would use years ago, only it would be making a fire, rush lights, drawing water from the well, and making your own soap.
The essence of "bushcrafting" that I enjoy is not the survival skills as such, but being out in a natural environment and appreciating the alternative ways things can be done, for leisure and renewal rather than everyday living. Nobody here is a pure "bushcrafter" unless they are teaching it as a profession, we are a variety of things, crafts people, foragers, gardeners, hikers, hunters and fishers, campers, and lest I leave it out entertainers and storytellers.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
A bit like people learn martial arts, but there is no such thing as "Martial Arting". Like the martial arts, there is a wide range of reasons people are interested and learn outdoor skills. Fortunately, the apparently inevitable rivalry over what is "proper" bushcraft, vs survival, vs primitive skills, vs chilling out vs etc etc:deadhorse:...doesn't get settled the way keen martial arts practitioners go about settling questions of "whose art is better"! :buttkick:

:D

champ

Dec 20, 2020
Wessex
Having read the original post and replies.I wonder if there might be a place for the "traditional" bushcrafter?.By this i mean someone that tries to use a relatively simple approach.Trying to avoid ultra modern equipment.
I say this as an angler using the traditional approach for my fishing.Split cane rods,reels of the era willow creels,cork and quill floats etc.I do use modern hooks and line.I also use a box of matches for lighting fires. ; - )

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Having read the original post and replies.I wonder if there might be a place for the "traditional" bushcrafter?.By this i mean someone that tries to use a relatively simple approach.Trying to avoid ultra modern equipment.
I say this as an angler using the traditional approach for my fishing.Split cane rods,reels of the era willow creels,cork and quill floats etc.I do use modern hooks and line.I also use a box of matches for lighting fires. ; - )

But what is 'traditional'? Mesolithic hunter-gatherer? fire by friction, no cooking pots, no knives, axes or saws just stone, antler and bone tools, animal skin shelters .... the list goes on. Or maybe you allow yourself iron age - so fire by flint and steel, metal cookware etc. Or perhaps, medieval, or pioneer 17 and 18 centuries?

Any of these are laudable things to aspire to. I am trying to cut down on my dependence on 20th/21st century kit when on my own but not to a pedantic level; but, if I have others or my grandchildren with me, I make no effort to limit how we go about things.

There is an immense level of satisfaction about using 'old ways' and for that reason alone I would encourage others to have a go - but learn to enjoy wilderness living first :)

champ

Dec 20, 2020
Wessex
As far as traditional fishing is concerned it is more of a mind set.I try and keep it simple.Rod & reel.Tackle and bait in coat pockets,and a small bag if needed.A seat and brolly if needed depending on conditions.:)

Good post champ.
Fishing-Tackle-2-BEST-REDUCED.jpg

This is my angling tackle, linen lines & cold forged hooks with sinew leaders. In the past I have also enjoyed making my own line & gorge hooks.
Can you show us some of your own tackle champ?
Keith.

But what is 'traditional'? Mesolithic hunter-gatherer? fire by friction, no cooking pots, no knives, axes or saws just stone, antler and bone tools, animal skin shelters .... the list goes on. Or maybe you allow yourself iron age - so fire by flint and steel, metal cookware etc. Or perhaps, medieval, or pioneer 17 and 18 centuries?

Any of these are laudable things to aspire to. I am trying to cut down on my dependence on 20th/21st century kit when on my own but not to a pedantic level; but, if I have others or my grandchildren with me, I make no effort to limit how we go about things.

There is an immense level of satisfaction about using 'old ways' and for that reason alone I would encourage others to have a go - but learn to enjoy wilderness living first :)
I guess it is like many other interests, different people interpret them in different ways. I was born in the West Sussex countryside in an 18th century farm house. I have always felt that I was just another animal & I belonged to the natural environment. I started with really primitive methods & tools, making what I could, but slowly advanced to appreciate the 18th century lifestyle & I settled on that. I have always felt that modern gadgets did not belong in nature, it just doesn't feel right, but obviously not everyone feels like I do.
Personally I would love to see a traditional section of bushcraft on this forum, & it would hopefully have a cut off point before the 20th century.
Take care out there & stay safe.
Keith.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I guess it is like many other interests, different people interpret them in different ways. I was born in the West Sussex countryside in an 18th century farm house. I have always felt that I was just another animal & I belonged to the natural environment. I started with really primitive methods & tools, making what I could, but slowly advanced to appreciate the 18th century lifestyle & I settled on that. I have always felt that modern gadgets did not belong in nature, it just doesn't feel right, but obviously not everyone feels like I do.
Personally I would love to see a traditional section of bushcraft on this forum, & it would hopefully have a cut off point before the 20th century.
Take care out there & stay safe.
Keith.

I can relate to that :)

I guess that's what some of us are doing when we have the 'Steam Punk' style camps - Victorian era science fiction - total escapism :)

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Interesting discussion. Arguing that this or that isn't bushcraft only goes so far. If enough people identify something as bushcraft then eventually the definition must accomodate the practice. I think, like many other things, what bushcraft is on paper (a skillset for living in the wilderness, ie knowledge over kit) is different to the practical reality for many. Part of this is driven by consumerism: there's always another gadget or piece of kit to buy and try. Kit is quicker and easier to acquire than skills. It's also driven by youtubers who may start out with a more "purist" attitude to bushcraft but after a few years are struggling for new subject matter or being offered free gear/sponsorship and end up padding their channel with gear reviews. While individually this may not constitute an evolution of bushcraft, the altered perception of their millions of viewers just might.

Bushcraft also seems somewhat self limiting. For example, it encompasses a minimal amount of woodworking, such as building cooking frames and primitive shelters but probably doesn't include constructing a Windsor chair. It includes identifying and utilising (or avoiding!) wild plants, fungi and animals for wilderness living but does not include conservation. Collecting birch sap: that's bushcraft. Planting birch trees? Nope.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I think one simply needs an equipment to live comfortably in the woods.

It is, depending on area and time of the year, approximately the following:

Rucksack
Jacket as pillow
Poncho, tarp or tent
Cordage
Insulation mat
Sleeping bag or wool blanket
Bivvy bag or ground sheet

Spare underwear (1x)
Woolen spare socks (1x)
Swimming shorts (1x)
Field flask with handle mug and belt pouch
Pot with bail
Spoon
Handkerchief
Head torch or candle
Toilet paper
Wash kit
(tooth brush, tooth paste, soap in tin)
towel or neckerchief
Compass
Topographical map
Food or hunting and fishing equipment

ON THE MAN:
Hiking boots
Woolen Socks
Underwear
Trousers or shorts
Belt
Belt knife
Matches or other fire kit
(Purse / wallet)
(House keys)
T-shirt
Shirt

It doesn't matter how the items look exactly, important is that the functions are covered.

And the knowledge and skill set to use the stuff above is bushcraft.

Who needs more than this in the woods and depends on his modern trekking equipment may be a nice person, a good backpacker, hiker or camper, but surely isn't a bushcrafter.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Wilderness lacks the stink, the neon moon and the noise of the city. To stay in the wilderness for any length of time requires some slightly alternate skills. Learn those to relax and be comfortable. Optimize your level of competence for where ever you lay your head.
3 things: food (and fire making skills), shelter (for which I have my preferences) and clothing (weatherproof and exposure, night and day).

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
It includes identifying and utilising (or avoiding!) wild plants, fungi and animals for wilderness living but does not include conservation. Collecting birch sap: that's bushcraft. Planting birch trees? Nope.

And there you have hit upon my biggest loathing of the way 'bushcraft' is taught and practiced in so many circles - conservation, nurturing nature, and living with the environment should be the start of all 'bushcraft' learning. Kids (and adults) should be taught about the fragility of the land before they're taught how to exploit it.

Reactions: Kadushu

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
And there you have hit upon my biggest loathing of the way 'bushcraft' is taught and practiced in so many circles - conservation, nurturing nature, and living with the environment should be the start of all 'bushcraft' learning. Kids (and adults) should be taught about the fragility of the land before they're taught how to exploit it.

And yet much of Bushcraft seems to based around some sort of consumerism.

( And I'm happy to admit I succumb !! )

This thread I set up some time ago isn't as popular as I had once hoped it maybe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kadushu

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
A bit like people learn martial arts, but there is no such thing as "Martial Arting". Like the martial arts, there is a wide range of reasons people are interested and learn outdoor skills. Fortunately, the apparently inevitable rivalry over what is "proper" bushcraft, vs survival, vs primitive skills, vs chilling out vs etc etc:deadhorse:...doesn't get settled the way keen martial arts practitioners go about settling questions of "whose art is better"! :buttkick:

I was about to say the same thing about martial arts. The old masters would be disappointed if they knew we ignored the evolution of any art in favour of "tradition". Bushcraft is the same and as soon as someone starts putting goals and labels in things there will be those that will defend them blindly ala mantra and those that try to evolve it.

Me, its about being comfortable outside and enjoying nature. its my Church, my time out and with many branches that keep me interested.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I was about to say the same thing about martial arts. The old masters would be disappointed if they knew we ignored the evolution of any art in favour of "tradition".
There seems to be exceptions to the rule but that is besides bushcraft.

I am more and more willing to define bushcraft as the set of skills required to be able to camp and trek in fairly wild regions and conditions. That does include a reasonable repertory of non standard conditions but not "naked and afraid" or parajumps to the unknown..

Spirit fish

Banned
Aug 12, 2021
Doncaster
What are the aims & purpose of Bushcrafting?
I ask this question because I used to think that Bushcraft was like Woodscraft, where people would learn the old skills & crafts. But now I see Bushcrafters increasingly using modern gadgets, especially for fire lighting, they have even started calling the ferrocerium rod a flint & steel!!! It just seems to me that Bushcraft is becoming more & more about gadgets & modern items rather than learning & using skills to accomplish a task.
I am 72 years of age, I camp out in winter. I use flint & steel & tinderbox to make fire, but I know several other primitive fire lighting methods. I make a bed of sticks to keep me up off the ground & cover it with bracken to make it more comfortable. I use an oilcloth because I like the feeling of being self reliant & self sufficient & using skills to keep me comfortable rather than carrying extra gear.
Just asking, has Bushcraft really changed that much, or is it just a few that view Bushcraft as simply a form of modern camping?
With respect & regards, Keith.
I agree with u on this I'm a minimilist but everyone is different

Reactions: Le Loup

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE