What are good basic skills for our domesticated life?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Question everyone and everything always remembering that there are two sides to every story and the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Too many people today accept that what they are told and what they read is correct, honest and truthful, the skill of gathering information and challenging/debating via the use of normal conversation is being lost. People may hear what is being said but they do not actually listen to what is being said.

Hope that makes sense.

A smart man only believes half of what he hears or reads. A wise man knows which half. (I can't remember who originally spoke this quote)

Edit to add author; it was Jeff Cooper.

Last edited:
Reactions: erehwon
Jul 24, 2017
somerset
strength, Respect, empathy, independent thought, and a sense of fascination and wonder which should keep them smart and still learning all there life, plus sewing, cooking, basic mechanics and electrical applications are good. learning how to fix and not throw away.

IamRon

Oct 26, 2017
'Straya
For 99 % of people in western societies 'bush skills' are about as important as last year's news. Yet, having taught my kids basic navigation by the sun / the Southern Cross, how to make a fire (without a lighter), how to forecast the weather by observing plants, animals and the clouds, how to avoid getting bitten by snakes and spiders and what to do if it happened, how to find water and and and I found they have become more responsible, mature and respectful of their environment than their cousins living in the suburbs. Having taken them bush, the most anti social environment imaginable, a lot I found they have become more socially adaptable and responsible than their social media obsessed friends at school. They have learnt more about science, astronomy and physics than others in 15 years of school. God, they even know more about car engines than I do. I can't put my finger on it exactly, call me crazy ... but the tough old school of nature has the best teachers. I think the hands on approach that forces them to think instead of blindly absorbing information has taught them more than TV, Facebook and I ever could.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Teaching children that books are cool. Knowledge is power and it’s ok to be different.

Too many times the troubled youngster I am working with is being bullied, their desire to fit in with the cool set is so strong they can be controlled.

Resilience is so important, learning that no matter what you do, everyone is not going to like you. Accept it an move on.

Teach children and young adults that life is not always fun. Adults are often required to endure tasks that are repetitive and dull but necessary.

Too many young folk are lead to believe they are special. They are not. One of 250 school leavers that day from that mediocre little town. Life doesn’t owe them anything. Become special standout from their peers, learn skills, seek knowledge, volunteer for a local group.

Life is about action without action they cannot achieve.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
There is one life skill that I feel is essential. In fact I am very surprised it's not been mentioned before.

I believe strongly that every parent should teach their kids to swim at as early an age as possible.

We're an island nation with a lot of water on it too. Surely that's one essential life skill to be able to swim?

Aside from that I think it's hierarchy of needs. Water, food, shelter, clothing, etc. How to keep healthy and to look after yourself. Being outdoors is a major part of that. I think all the other stuff like wiring a plug is window dressing. Get the basics right as early on in their life as possible. I think the rest will follow if they're important enough.

BTW I don't remember having to rewire any plug for decades, really never needed to. Kit comes with pre-plugged power leads. I look after stuff so it rarely goes wrong to need replacing. If I needed to, well let's be honest here, there's Google for that skill in this modern world. Not that I need it. BTW you often get a wiring crib sheet with new plugged appliances. So what's the issue?

BTW kids are as bright as our generation and the generations before us into pre-history. As a species we wouldn't have survived without coping with the world around us. That's still the case now. It's just that times change and skills needed change. Do we need to teach or kids to light a fire in the woods. No! We choose to. We do need to teach them how to handle the life they live. Bullying at school, social skills to survive, self defence for when social skills fail, etc. Realism. You live in a rough area learning to identify hazards around you is more important than which wood burns best. Can your kids spot when things are about to kick off so they know to get out of there? How to look after themselves in the life, places and activities they do day to day?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Can anyone come and teach my Father how to organise things, and more importantly give up things (he has no idea exist in his house?)

He spends over half his life looking for something, I swear.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
People (including adults) nowadays only hear what they agree with, they will not listen to both sides of an argument and take an impartial view, I think we need to teach the new generation the art of debate, they are losing the capacity of talking, they are more interested in texting, etc, they also need to learn that their phones and tablets, computers etc, have a on and off button, and if they are being harrased, bullied, etc, all they need to do is turn it off and walk away , unfortunately too many young kids are addicted to social media.
One day in the future I am sure that amongst the worst inventions of all time, the Internet will be highly placed,
I teach my two grandkids(both girls) dont beleive anything you see, or hear everything is so easy to fake.
When they find a boyfriend, place a can of lager and a screwdriver in front of them, if they pick up the Lager...............dump them........lol.
We enjoy, swimming,walks in the countryside, and looking for fungii etc, recognising the trees and their uses, and they both enjoy our outings very much, both of them love hiking around dartmoor, unfortunately they run up the Tors and leave me straggling well behind, but they do love it, the education system should make nature walks, bushcraft etc, part of the curicculum, as it was in my day, then nature can be appreciated, trouble is nowadys kids have it far too easy its more comfortable watching TV, messing on your phone than doing something practical, when I was young we had to make our own amusement and use our initiative, them days are gone...............and we are the worse for it.(in my opinion).

Reactions: grip

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Which skills?
Sew on buttons, sew up holes in clothes.
Make food. I am not talking Cordon Bleu stuff, but basics.
Clean and polish shoes.
Answer a question with a smile, using an understandable language, so no grunting.
Learn to spell.
Learn to obey orders without needing a 30 minute explanation why.
Learn to read from a printed piece of paper.
Think and make your own opinion, do not ape after the PC general view we are fed through the media

More esoteric: Learn to be quiet, and listen to birds, trees and grass. (So no deafness producing music permanently jammed into the ear ducts)

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Which skills?
Sew on buttons, sew up holes in clothes.
Make food. I am not talking Cordon Bleu stuff, but basics.
Clean and polish shoes.
Answer a question with a smile, using an understandable language, so no grunting.
Learn to spell.
Learn to obey orders without needing a 30 minute explanation why.
Learn to read from a printed piece of paper.
Think and make your own opinion, do not ape after the PC general view we are fed through the media

More esoteric: Learn to be quiet, and listen to birds, trees and grass. (So no deafness producing music permanently jammed into the ear ducts)
Being quiet and listening something that can be done with more than just the ear's a rare talent, but I agree so many flood there mind with noise! or are far too noisy in there own head!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
My son used to fish with me in Norway with one of those tiny music machines wired to his brain.

I taught him a lesson by driving the boat engine over his fishing line.
He listens to the sea and birds since then.

I also instructed him in knife usage. The first cut in his finger was more effective than my lesson!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
How about we go catch a young person, and ask them what they think they need to know?

Just an idea...

I do not think that would work. Every generation thinks they are better and understand the world in a better way, than the old gen.
The old generation think the young ones are lazy, wasteful and without respect.

grip

Forager
Nov 30, 2009
here and there
The abillity to laugh at yourself and not to be too thin skinned. To be a good listener, there are plenty of good talkers but few good listeners. Be kind and considerate.

Reactions: santaman2000

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Respect for their elders (within reason obviously), and an ability to listen, question, and learn. Not always easy, I'm lucky in I have masses of nephews and nieces that absorb it really well. They do go feral when we get out camping, but a grazed and bloody knee is a good lesson too.

I like that Nobby bloke on here who takes the lads out, he's got it about right. Off you go, you've been told, I have plasters.

I got nephew Joe on the Secret Santa again this year. Last year he got a keyring Swiss Army knife. After opening his present this year, a Nitecore Tube torch, he knew it was me and thanked me again for the knife, said he wouldn't know what to do without it.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Can anyone come and teach my Father how to organise things, and more importantly give up things (he has no idea exist in his house?)

He spends over half his life looking for something, I swear.
Sounds like somebody is cleaning his place part from him?
I sometimes have problems finding things. Been moved, but not by me!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE