What animals (wildlife) have you seen today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Elen, like the new Owl gif in your signature line. Makes me chuckle.

Spent a lovely half hour this evening with two Goldfinches taking it in turns to sit on my wiper blades (I was sitting in the car in the drive). The were taking it in turns to feed on all the profusion of Herb Robert that's gone to seed in the gravel patch. Just sat still and they didn't know I was 2 feet away. Great fun and so vibrant in the sun.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It's not the "school" from our school days that was neccessarily so great. It was our age and station in life. We were young and full of wonder. Also had no real bills or worries; no mortgage or rent, no car payments, no taxes, etc.

Oh we had troubles and/or worries; Jane turned us down for a date to the prom, My grades weren't what I'd hoped, etc. They all seemed so big at the time but looking back now, not so much. And for me at least, I really did like most of my classes, especially math and sciences.

As for what I saw today. Well, several whitetail deer. They were well hidden over the Autumn and Winter (hunting season) But now there are herds of them all along the roadways.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Just got buzzed by a sparrow hawk in the garden. I was standing still contemplating how nice the weeds are looking and it flew past me at shoulder height so close I could have reached out and touched it. It then sat in a tree a few yards away eyeballing the blackbirds.

Turnstone

Apr 9, 2013
Germany
Today I saw an oystercatcher. That surprised me, as I have never seen one around here and I live about 150 kms away from the coast. There are a few in a small nature reserve, but that is still 30 kms away and there is no obvious reason for the bird to come to a meadow close to the city and the motorway...

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Bringing this thread full circle, I've just spied a weasel going about its business. Always raises a smile when I see one.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Got a chance to walk the dog between 2 piles of homework.
Saw a beautiful roe buck standing on my side of a dike with bushes. It had antlers and it was brown.
That's all I could see and then in one jump it was out of sight.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Not today but a fortnight ago we were leaving our friends house near Inverness at 10 am and a Pine Marten crossed the road in front of me. In the previous 5 days I saw:

Seals
Dolphins,
Red squirrel
red deer
roe deer
Ptarmigan
Red grouse
Greater spotted woodpecker
and then the marten..

and people ask me why I want to live in the Highlands....

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Saw a magpie have a go at a newly fledged blackbird today, and the tremendous fight that ensued as the parents attacked the magpie to defend their chick. At least one other female blackbird joined in the fight, and the magpie was eventually seen off, although I don't know if the fledgling was injured or not.

Interestingly, both a great tit and a blue tit also flew towards the fight, and watched it from close range, only leaving when the magpie was driven off.

I've never seen that behaviour before, in either the blackbirds or the tits.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I might just have seen my first white-tailed eagle from the bus. If not it was a very big buzzard as it was carrying a goose in it's claws.
I also think I saw an eurasian hobby. But of that too, I'm not sure.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Saw a magpie have a go at a newly fledged blackbird today, and the tremendous fight that ensued as the parents attacked the magpie to defend their chick. At least one other female blackbird joined in the fight, and the magpie was eventually seen off, although I don't know if the fledgling was injured or not.

Interestingly, both a great tit and a blue tit also flew towards the fight, and watched it from close range, only leaving when the magpie was driven off.

I've never seen that behaviour before, in either the blackbirds or the tits.

Funny you should say that. I saw a thrush chase off a magpie a few days ago. To be fair to the magpie it wasn't really doing much. Maybe some birds are wising up to it - blackbirds and thrushes are same family.

Turnstone

Apr 9, 2013
Germany
Today I saw a small animal in neighbours garden. Not absolutely sure about it, but I guess it was a bank vole. Cute little animal!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE