Ten years ago today

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Toddy's post ten days ago reminded me that my 10 year anniversary was fast approaching, and today it arrived.

I can't remember exactly what I was looking for, but I do remember that it was a miserable night, was also back when it was an old dial up modem that took an age to download and show stuff. I was pretty internet shy in those days, liked to lurk in the shadows and have little or no footprint. But the folks on here brought me out of that shell (well I still hide a fair bit) as it seemed to be chocked full to the rafters of interesting and friendly folk.

In the 10 years I have had a hiatus of a year or two, when I wasn't very well and the thought of reading all the trip reports was too much. Then I realised I could live vicariously through those reports and have virtual trips and seats around the campfire. I've made some great friends here, and even gone on to meet a few of you. But too few as there are many characters I'd like to swap stories with 'round a real fire while having a brew. (Who know's I may make it too the MOOT one day).

I've bought some lovely kit on here, the standard of the makers all concentrated into one sight blows places like (well I wont mention them by name as it's not fair) But lets just say that my already large collection of leather and sharp things has grown more from here than other market places.

I've learned huge amounts here, both about bushcraft and life in general and have seen the incredible spirit of generosity that emanates from the members here. Last year Tony and the Mods (still think they'd make a great sounding SKA band) made me a Mod myself, which I felt particularly honoured about and hope it allows me to put something back into a body of folk that have given me so much joy.

I still think it's the best run site on the net, I've since joined a few others but always come back and spend most of my time on BCUK, it's fun, informative, very little to no back biting or trouble and there's always someone around to have an interesting and fun time with, that's why there's tea stains on the keyboard as some of the comments are just braw.

So thanks to Tony for starting the site and to the Mods and members and guests who as a whole make it the first place I come to when I log on to the electronic world.

I hope I've another 10 years in me as I fancy making it an even score at least.

Thanks to you all,

Goatboy.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Glad you're here GB and may you spend many more years by the virtual campfire with all of us :)

As for making the Moot, if you do then I'm sure your somewhat errant bush father would be more than pleased to have you join us at Dingly Dell :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Cheers fellahs,

It's been a blast so far, and an invite to Dingly Dell, would I ever recover? I know my Bush Pa's been not well the last couple of days so I'll not call him errant while he's sick; one never knows where he lies in wait!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's our wedding anniversary next week, and I'm relieved to report that HWMBLT doesn't think it seems to be as long either :D

BcUK feels like that too….ten years we've enjoyed the company and the conversations….it's a very good thing indeed :D and it's folks like you that keep it interesting, keep it comfortable, keep it a quiet pleasure to log on and see what you've been up to, and written about :D
Congratulations Colin, and here's to the next ten.
Slainte !

M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Cheers for the replies folks, nice to know it isn't a one way street (I'm always afeart that I can be a bit verbose and boring in my posts).

I do really enjoy my time here so thanks for taking the time to chat away with me.

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
Congratulations Col.
I have always really enjoyed your posts.
Your tales of yesteryear and the photos of your ranger days, your trucks, forest and mountain, pictures and tales. It wouldnt be the same without you. Heres too another ten.
Ammo.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE