Wet Scouts...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
...but happy scouts.

The weekend has been full on, with 100 youngsters getting down to basics at this District event. There was plenty on offer from archery and shooting to fire making and knife/axe work, pioneering and the obligatory cooking from our team.

Arrived on site at 1800 in teaming rain, and organised the scouts to set camp. We have some great canvas bell tents which go up in 15 minutes, and can be done easily by older cubs and scouts with no supervision. While they did thosethe rest of us got the mess tent up and got supper on the go.

3 old chiefs hold a pow-wow in ollie's new tipi
copy1.jpg

Early morning light strikes the tipi
copy3.jpg

Ollie preps the pigeon breasts for breakfast
copy2.jpg

Pink in the centre...perfect...and wild mushroom to boot
copy4.jpg

Dinner arrives, still warm, a nice size Roe Buck
copy5.jpg

With a little tuition scouts get to skinning
copy7.jpg

A view of the campsite
copy6.jpg

Ready to roll
copy8.jpg

The cooking range
copy11.jpg

Constantly basted over the cooking time of 6 hours (used 2 litres of veg oil) which kept it moist and helped it glaze to a wonderful brown
copy9.jpg

Took it back to our mess tent and carved the beast. Enough for everyone at the camp to get some
copy12.jpg

A lovely pelt
copy10.jpg

Brain in a cup
copy13.jpg

A helpng hand to brain tan
copy20.jpg

Will wash and smoke on monday evening with the scouts.

A great treat for the scouts on Sunday, our chief scout dropped in to say hello

Thats his transport in the background...
copy14.jpg

Bear was an absolute gent, and clearly enjoyed having the kids around him. And he focused on the kids, writing autograph after autograph between visiting each of the camp areas.
copy17.jpg

Yours truely kept an eye on him to ensure he did the job properly
copy19.jpg

He was a great sport, and is proving to be a great ambassador for the scout movement.
copy15.jpg

despite the weather, or in more probability, because 'of' the problematic conditions, it was a fantastic weekend that will be remembered by all....

...And all my scouts have BG's autograph on their neckers...and I do believe he signed mine (my daughter asked :eek:)

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Great stuff - really glad to hear that BG is making a good Chief Scout. I remember a lot of negative comments about his appointment, and whilst I wouldn't count myself as a fan of his programmes, I'm becoming more enamoured with him.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Stovie your scout threads never fail to change my perspective or more prejudice when it comes to the scouts. Unfortunately when i was growing up i would of got a kicking if i had of joined up so i missed out. In later life i would have thought H&S would have gotten in the way and ruinied it for you lot but from the pictures and write ups i could not be more wrong.

If you were to charge each kid a few hundred for the weekend you could call it a "Bushcraft" course. They all look like they are having a wonderfull time, all thanks to you lot giving up your time and patience.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Fantastic post Stovie, what a great way troop to grow up in, and if you see BG again tell him to pay more attention to his choice of heli, ive serviced that one in the past:yikes:

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Couldn't be more impressed Stovie...you're an inspiration to these kids, and a few more besides. RESPECT...

It was an excellent weekend, BG was super with all the kids, cant think of better company and a great team effort. have to say though, with all that wind and rain im glad for the tipi!! Oh and what a spit, was worth all the work..

ollie

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Stovie,

Hats off to you and your leaders for an awsome weekend for the kids. Nice that Bear stopped in and participated with the Scouts! Outstanding!

Yours in Scouting,

Gordy

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
It was an excellent weekend, BG was super with all the kids, cant think of better company and a great team effort. have to say though, with all that wind and rain im glad for the tipi!! Oh and what a spit, was worth all the work..

ollie

Thanks for all your hard work as usual Ollie...I'm lucky to have a good team, gwyn and the mad Professor being the others...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE