Wear it or carry it. Poll.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wear it or carry it?

• Total voters

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
I have been rethinking my edc options and just thinking about this.
I carry some of my kit in my wallet, trouser pockets and key rings etc with a few things in my Bag too like water bottle, shemagh and a few first aid supplies......

Tell me your system and why.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
All small gear that I'll use during the day (knife, compass, wallet, map, ...) usually is somewhere on me, the rest goes in the backpack.
I don't like too much stuff in my pockets and find this method most comfy/practical...

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
EDC I have my pocketknife, multitool, and my keychain with a small knife, lighter, flashlight, and paracord fob on it. My jeep is stocked with everything else. So, I guess I carry most of it, but wear some?

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
not really up on the catchy abbreviations, so whats EDC?

found it . . . . Every Day Carry :rolleyes:

Dont carry much at all these days, i smoke so i got a light, got shoelaces for string, maybe an opinel in my pocket but chances are not.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
There is a teaching the army used to use:

Live with your bergen
Fight with your webbing(pouches)
survive with what you stand up in

there was a catchy phrase but i can't remember it.

I tend to carry everything (bushcrafty)in army pouches on my belt, though often I carry the same pouches in a daysack, the only things i always have in my pockets are Keys, mobile, and wallet if shopping (duh).

I've tried carrying gear in jacket pockets and vests but found it never as easy as with pouches(just personal preference), been doing the same thing 20 years.

rawshak

Forager
Jan 11, 2009
Cornwall
I carry all my essentials constantly, and feel naked without them. My pockets contain DC3 sharpener, swiss army knife, EKA lock knife (really solid knife for a folder), lighter. My keyring has a parracord fob, mini Maglite, ferrosteel, waterproof aluminium tube with tinder, whistle. On my belt, I carry my mobile and Buck multi-tool. It sounds like a lot, but it really isn't once it's spread about your person.

I also always have my day kit packed in my car, which has the more bulky stuff, such as brew kit/meths stove, pans, axe, water bottle etc.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Oh no my secret browsing of EDC forum is going to show me for the geek I am
But now you ask
Key ring
I carry on an S biner attached to a belt loop holding 2 Vitrinox quick release key rings one with my keys and the other has basic Vitrinox small blade knife with scissors tweezers and tooth pick.a Gerber Clutch and a cheap "Fauxton" LED

I have a slightly modifed handcuff pouch which is usually empty which I often wear just to shove things in or for convenience
I usually take the keys off when out and about and of course I can add other stuff as required when camping ( and boy have I amassed a selection)

I also have my wallet , Zippo Slimline, fags/baccy and phone
In my work rucksack I have a small possibles pouch;the contents vary a lot but there is usually a lighter some cordage of some kind and a mini folding monocular

Thats EDC; not when camping/bimbling
Then it needs a variety of carry methods and different stuff to be carried with which I am constantly enjoying experimenting
Confession appears to help this condition!!!

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
At work I carry a small belt pouch with basic FAK and mobile phone (on call all day to go and sort out problems in others classrooms). No sharps at work (school).

When out and about though, I carry a Maxpedition shoulder bag with all my essentials, with a knife and FAK on a belt.

I hate having my pockets loaded up with junk, but having said that I do have D rings sewn into my Ventile SAS style smock. Top left pocket has a whistle. Top right a micro LED torch. Inside pocket has a SAK.

Simon

adderrustler

Aug 27, 2007
bridgewater
Every day i carry on my person, buck crosslock ( had 14 years never let me down ) turboflame lighter, mini first aid kit in my wallet, also mirror, my belt is made of paracord, leaterman tool ( 15 years old going strong ) mini compass, tinder in sealed cigar tube, stored cash ( £30 and change for phone),
this varies due to climate / enviroment short or long haul etc.
but in the last 30 years have never left the house without a knife and lighter ( Non Smoker ) my main kit is stored in my landrover which with all the mods and equipment inside i havent got the time to list

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
ok, I'll admit I have a thing for EDC :D here's what I carry in my pockets...

P1010171.jpg

1. Maxpedition 5x3 notebook cover
2. Casio G-Shock
3. Paracord bracelet
4. Bandana
5. Armour Zippo with Z-Plus insert.
6. Sony Ericsson W810i with k750 rear cover
7. Modded Bi-fold wallet with cards, elastoplasts, Swiss-card lite and cash
8. keys with dog and signal whistles, silver gripper tweezers, peanut lighter, Alox SAK and a Fenix E01.

P1010173.jpg

In my 3x5...
1. Michael Morris friction folder
2. McFeely's Pocketwrench II
3. Leatherman Wave
4. Quark 123 Torch
5. Fisher Bullet pen and waterproof paper
6. Char cloth, firesteel and striker
7. Fresnel lens
8. Small First-Aid kit
9. tape ruler
10. Tick removing hook
11. needles and thread
12. Cigarette papers.

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
On key ring:
A gas lighter with small knife/scissors
Compass
LED torch

In wallet:
Credit card tool

In car in a day sack:
A 48 hour kit including food/water/clothes/boots.

If I travel more than a few miles from home on foot I have at least a survival 'tin' with me.

PREPER........... :)

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
On my person;

A karabiner with whistle, pacing beads, firesteel, which clips onto a length of cord fixed to a belt loop which means the gears can go in my pocket.

in another pocket a DC3 and opinel or other small folder.

The rest goes in my pack. :)

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
In my trouser pockets;
* Uncle Henry penknife.
* cigarette lighter.
* mobile fone.

Lower jacket pockets;
* gloves (one for each hand :)).
* housekeys with church key, bottle opener, dog whistle attached.
* tobacco tin.
EDIT --; forgot about my wee LED torch, fabric plasters and wee green vaseline tub. (Thanks Maddave :)).

Everything else for a bimble, goes in daysack;
* warm hat/russian (I wear a cap anway).
* brew kit.
* flora/fauna book.
* folding saw.
* secateurs (big and small).
* water for me and the dog.
* carrier bags
* loo roll and wetwipes.
* sandwich/snack and dog treats.
* rowntrees fruit pastilles.

Last edited:

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
On keys
Firesteel
Spyderco Bug Knife
Acme whistle
Photon torch
Sliver grippers

In it's Pocketssessss
Svord peasant knife
Cree 2w AA flashlight
Small 1st aid kit (mostly plasters)
Small Wenger knife sharpener

dasy2k1

Nomad
May 26, 2009
Manchester
every day around town i have

wallet, phone, watch etc...
keys, with whistle attached (acme scout) and mini butchers steel
opinel number 4 tiny non locking s139 legal penknife
gloves (sealskin)
set of bike lights (mainly so i dont forget them when i ride my bike but the front one makes a good torch (1w LED))

when out on a bimble i will add an opinel #7 to the gear in my pocket plus my daysack which can have whatever i feel necessary in it (i live in manchester so most often waterproofs!)

iano

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2010
Wales
If we are talking everyday every day carry, then I only have:
Wallet, Mobile, Change, Chewing Gum in little change pocket on jeans, Keys, Watch, Glasses - Not very survivalist!

or as I heard a bloke in a film checking he's got everything: spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch!

Had an incredibly bright LED torch on the keys but the end gradually unscrewed and I lost it whilst on the move... Same happened to the replacement one! So I have 2x 1/2 LED torches! I should replace it with the tiny 1x AAA maglite or something similar really. Never been a fan of carrying knives everyday as it can be construed the wrong way by the law...

Saw a tiny belt pouch with a pair or 2 of latex gloves and a one-way valve for resuscitation advertised somewhere, seemed like a good idea to carry around with you, should have got it in retrospect.

But I'll often have a shoulder bag or daysack with me with a 1L Sigg bottle in it, pair of 'magic' contact gloves, and a few other bits and bobs. Been meaning to get myself a Montane Fetherlite (the waterproof version) as a pack-down-tiny layer for a bag but enough to keep the wind and showers off...

That is just everyday tho. If I'm off hiking or on the army's time then there's a lot more in my pockets and on my back...

Last edited:

hogstable

Forager
Nov 18, 2004
sheffield
I had a 1 AAA maglite and with time the base unscrewed itself, fortunately I noticed it whilst they were together. May I suggest a few wraps of thinned black nasty to save the torch being in 2 places at the same time?
When camping out I always have a piece of paracord around my neck with a silva watch compass 1 inch dia, LED torch and a cheap 1 inch locking folder, will be adding a lighter in future, maybe a firesteel. Main thing is always got a light on me !!!

This may be of interest although I don't have it.

http://www.equipped.org/rangerrick_necklace.htm

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE