Waterproofing a sewn in groundsheet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I really like the tent I've been using this last year or so (nicked from Son2 :eek: ) but HWMBLT borrowed it to use on Skye recently and he says the groundsheet is leaking.
I had noticed it being damp, but thought it was just condensation.

Any ideas on an effective way to re-waterproof the groundsheet ?

No holes or tears, it's just one of those woven plastic ones.

cheers,
Toddy

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Sounds like the bonding is breaking down,Toddy,not really a lot you can do about it,unless, you could try ironing it but you'd have to have the temerature just right.Maybe a sheet of grease proof paper between the iron and the groundsheet,that would stop it melting to the iron if you got it too hot.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ahhh, I hadn't thought about it being bonded :sigh:

If worst comes to worst I'll just make a new groundsheet and replace the old one, even if it is a footer since it's a bucketed one, and it's got a front porch bit after the zipped area too.

Thanks for the info :)

cheers,
M

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
It's only heat bonded ,so it shouldn't be too difficult to repair.You can buy a cheap iron from tesco's then it wouldn't matter if you ruined it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've just been thinking about that......I've got a spare one up the loft that proved to be just too lightweight, and was thinking of trying it out.

The only other thing that occurs to me is that maybe they are originally made by using heat and pressure. There's no way I can get a similar amount of pressure using an iron as they'd use commercially. :dunno:

cheers,
Toddy.........who thinks she can see a lot of sewing in her future :sigh:

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
I had the same problem on a Terra Nova laser - thought it was condensation but not when it got damp under 2 stacked thermarests..
Made a 'footprint' out of an IPK sheet from Endicotts which works as long as the rain doesn't get blown sideways and form a puddle on top of the IPK sheet for the tent to sit in :rolleyes:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and make a new groundsheet, :sigh: , aren't I ?

neat idea on the IPK one though............don't know if it's big enough for this tent..........actually, I 'could' just sew on a new floor and seam seal the stitching lines......maybe ??

cheers,
Toddy

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Hi Toddy,
I feel silly even asking this, but you don't camp in low lying areas do you? Wanted to confirm that it wasn't just water pooling underneath your tent!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Not if I can possibly help it.........those bits are usually the haunts of the infamous Midge :(

I noticed it last when using a well drained grassy field in Ayrshire, and HWMBLT was in the same situation in Skye. It's definitely needing something done to it.

cheers,
Toddy

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
a sheet of light polythene under the groundsheet but not reaching right to the edges would cure this and is not that much extra to carry, it also stops mud and earth from sticking to the groundsheet if you are on a prolonged pitch which has been used before, it can be discarded or packed up (dirty side wrapped inside its self) to keep your gear clean and hosed down when you get home, I have used the same one for years.

Wink

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 4, 2004
Norfolk
I tried Fabsil on mine once. Seemed to do the trick, at least for a bit! The IPK stuff is brilliant though, I made a bathtub groundsheet for use with the tarp out of it. A "footprint" made of that should be bombproof!

MrPhil

Tenderfoot
May 26, 2009
East Coast of Kent, UK
a sheet of light polythene under the groundsheet but not reaching right to the edges would cure this and is not that much extra to carry, it also stops mud and earth from sticking to the groundsheet if you are on a prolonged pitch which has been used before, it can be discarded or packed up (dirty side wrapped inside its self) to keep your gear clean and hosed down when you get home, I have used the same one for years.

We have been using this technique with all our tenting holidays since as long as I can remember. It's dead handy if you know that when you return home you won't be able to pitch the tent in the garden for a clean and an airing but have to unfold it in the front room.

The only difference we sometimes do is to use a cut down pond liner (benefits of my dad's old business) instead when we know the ground will be stony but thats rarely used now.

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
I used to use a sheet of polythene, from a new mattress, under my tent for extra protection, but lately have been using a sheet of 'Tyvek' used in building. It's light and as it's a non-woven fabric, softer and quieter.

Jim

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hey BB,
Hadn't thought of that,earn a place in the "Don't forget the duct tape" volume II book.
TGCOYF
GB.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE