Water carrier etc.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Yes, not by choice, but I walked across Turkey one summer and many of the usually very reliable Ottoman era cisterns and wells were dry, so when I found ones that were full I filled one of my ortlieb bags just to be certain that I didn't run out of water and y'know, die and stuff. :)

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Hi Andy, I can't see why it wouldn't work. I use coated nylon bowls for my dogs water bowl overnight and it still has water in the following day. At those prices not much to lose? (Apart from the water :p)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've used dry bags quite a bit for moving water about, usually up in the hills when a walk to the nearest water source is required. It's easier to grab a few litres at once rather than going back and filtering a litre at a time.

Easy enough to turn inside out if you intend using it for kit again afterwards

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
You don't even need dry bags-a bin liner inside a ripstop stuff sack or even empty rucksack makes a good ad-hoc, high capacity water reservoir.

Many a camp in the hills have seen me do this if water is more than a convenient walk away.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Never thought of using a dry bag for this before and always have a selection with me.
Good tip thanks.

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
I've used dry bags to carry water to camp from a water source. I usually use a small ditty bag size one, I think its either 3 or 5 L. Plenty of water to use for cooking, cleaning, etc. NEver had an issue. I use Sea to Summit bags, exclusively though-they have yet to fail me, so I stick by them :)

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I have used it when water source was a distance away
Carried back in pack
Does the trick
I have one of the Ortlieb ones and use it if there are a group of us

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
the problem with using a drybag for water filtering is the chance of having to hold it up, even if your resting it on the ground.

The inline filter is easiest with a standard cocacola bottle cap attachment. Works with any plastic bottle as a dirty water reservoir, holes or not, refill it as many times as you need, and only carry clean water.

A "heads up" 99p stores have 500ml fold flat water bottles for, err 99p .

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
There can be problems carrying water in dry bags:

If you have a 20 l bag, don’t put 20 l of water in; it may not be able to support the weight of the water when you try and lift or carry it; so don’t fill them full.

The material and proofing used on the bag may not be “food grade” ?

Dry bags are intended to keep the insides dry. When you put water in them, say 5 l, you have a considerable pressure pushing on the fabric. Depending on the materials used and quality, you may notice water starting to push through the fabric and forming on the outside. I’ve seen one dry bag positively dripping with water escaping ! Perhaps it wouldn’t have been very good as a “dry” bag either; but these bags are often used inside a pack and are only ever required to be “resistant” rather than “proof”

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
There can be problems carrying water in dry bags:

If you have a 20 l bag, don’t put 20 l of water in; it may not be able to support the weight of the water when you try and lift or carry it; so don’t fill them full.

The material and proofing used on the bag may not be “food grade” ?

Dry bags are intended to keep the insides dry. When you put water in them, say 5 l, you have a considerable pressure pushing on the fabric. Depending on the materials used and quality, you may notice water starting to push through the fabric and forming on the outside. I’ve seen one dry bag positively dripping with water escaping ! Perhaps it wouldn’t have been very good as a “dry” bag either; but these bags are often used inside a pack and are only ever required to be “resistant” rather than “proof”
I would say this is a good word of caution, about the food grade materials, we used a issue basha for rain catchment and the water collected was absolutely disgusting and did make me wonder how safe it was as it was to drink, obviously something either in the rain itself or something in the material that the basha was made of had run of the surface into the bottles. I don't know whether this is something that could effect drybags as well, the comments above suggest the issue hasn't come up up but its is worth thinking about.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE