Watches for the outdoors...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
If you had to recommend a reasonably priced watch that is suitable for spending plenty of time outdoors, i.e. tough, waterproof and not too garish ;) , what would it be?

Multiple functions aren't that important to me, but I'd be interested in things that people have found useful.

I'll leave the definition of 'reasonably priced' to the individual :rolleyes:

Many thanks,
Hellz

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Cheap as chips black plastic Casio £8.95 from Argos about 10 years ago. I changed the strap to one of the velcro fastening Animal ones and the batteries have been replaced twice.
I've worked in torrential rain for days on end, up to my elbows in water cutting reeds, similarly digging in flooded sites and at the other extreme cooked in sunshine for three weeks at a time geophysing and digging in open sandy fields and in the most incredibly sticky clay. I've fieldwalked for months in freezing temperatures and hillwalked in gales and blizzards, and all the time wearing that watch
The watch has never let me down. It's not posh, not fancy, not *specialized* just effective.

Cheers,
Toddy

p.s. they're still selling it :D
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2533609.htm

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
I use the traser H3 comander and its great but it might be a little more than some want to spend.

Citzen used to do a milatary style watch that used there eco drive system which was a great watch mine lasted years.

Casio G shock watches are bomb proof.

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
In value for money terms, the basic Casio watches cannot be beaten.

I have a £ :eek: Breitling Superocean Pro which I bought as the "perfect" bushcraft watch to replace my stolen Casio (who nicks Casio watches!!). I missed my discontinued Casio so much I spent 10 years looking for an identical replacement before finding one in a backstreet shop in Leon.

Scoops

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have a seiko chrono thingy type one which cost me about £100 about 5 years ago and it comes rock climbing with me every time... there is more scratch than watch and it just keeps going regardless and hasn't leaked a drop.

In terms of money it's far more than a casio I'll admit but for me personally it represents brilliant value for money.

It has cost me 1 new battery in January and a pin for the strap every few months as they're not designed to take my body weight in a fall :rolleyes:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
At this point I really ought to admit that a lot of the time I'm out and about I wear a little gold plated ladies Rotary watch (c£85) that isn't supposed to be used when I get wet, dirty, dusty, do the dishes, make baskets, bath kids, light fires or tan hides....... and it's been utterly rock solid too. It's gotten awfully scratched though so I bought another one the same to have a decent one when I'm pretending I'm being ladylike :eek:
I rarely wear my *good* gold watch 'cos I know just how much it cost and I know I'll forget I'm wearing it when I get a notion to go and make something or play in the mud :rolleyes:

I think there's an awful lot of hype about watches, a lot of misplace snobbery too. Nowadays they are virtually all factory made anyway. Lots of rip off potential. :(

Cheers,
Toddy

seamonkey

Forager
Sep 11, 2004
Scotland - Angus
Ello,
I went through a phase of being a bit of a watch junkie - had a Tudor Submariner (poor mans rolex) tag 2000 series and a number of really nice citizen automatic dive watches etc but the best watch i have ever owned is on my wrist.

Its a casio G shock - analogue and digital water resistant to 20 bar , never replaced the battery in 5 years and bought it second hand off ebay for 25 quid about 6 years ago.

Its been down to 60 metres, banged off god knows what , left in a bucket of fresh water for 2 weeks to rinse when i forgot about it - the screen is still remarkable unscratched - I fully expected it to die a quick death but was genuinely impressed by it esp as i've never paid it a bit of attention apart from wiping oil off it.
It's nails , super simple but with useful features like a stopwatch etc keeps perfect time, no-one looks at it twice thinking it is flashy and just works 100% all of the time so far which is all i'm after these days.

I considered a all dancing Suunto replacement for it as an everyday watch but I
had a Suunto Mosquito which was great as a dive computer and they eat batteries - it died a couple of months ago and kept resetting on ascent or on plane trips with the pressure changes . I'm replacing it with an old Alladin instead.

So basically a recommendation for a g shock - have a look on ebay and get one dirt cheap and then spent your money on a nice trip out with your mates/family instead.

just my 2cents worth

cheers

G

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I have a seiko kinetic diver. Fantastic and dead easy to ead. It was wedding pressie off my wife and there was a deep furrowing of the brow when I scratched the bevel in the workshop. Add to that it weighs a ton.

So for running and workshop use a Casio G shock - still big hands and easy to see, light for running with a stop watch to push me and it's battered to hell. Still works fine - 35quid in a sale somewhere. Worth every penny.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
I bought one of these a while back.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2545075.htm

Quite cheap at £30 and is really light weight. It doesn't feel bomb proof but has stood upto the abuse I have given it so far. The night mode is handy when out and about in the dark and I think the digital compass is quite accurate. It keeps time reasonably well, I reset it every 3 months or so when it is approx 3 - 5 seconds off the GMT clock.

All the best....Stu

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
I have an Animal Stainless Steel Chronograph. It is bulletproof and simple, no beeping or other gadgets other than a stopwatch and timer.

Stewey. :D

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: If you're looking for a cheap, durable, tough watch and you've got a fetish for mechanical watches go for a Russian made Vostok. How tough are we talking about? You can pretty much abuse one of these as much as you abuse your G-Shock. And no I'm not kidding! The most popular models are the Komandirskie and the Amphibia.

http://www.russia4u.co.uk/shop/

And I have no affiliation with the seller.

Cheers,

Adam

M

mikehill

Are any of the Suunto type watches available in smaller case sizes ? I hate these 45mm monsters :rolleyes: :D
Mike.

MikeS

Forager
Sep 5, 2005
Peterborough
I alway swear by my Camel Trophy. You can't get them new anymore but its strong, accurate and looks good. I also wear a seiko sport automatic but compared to the Camel its poor, but it was quite a bit cheaper. :lmao:

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Hellz said:
If you had to recommend a reasonably priced watch that is suitable for spending plenty of time outdoors, i.e. tough, waterproof and not too garish ;) , what would it be?

Multiple functions aren't that important to me, but I'd be interested in things that people have found useful.

I'll leave the definition of 'reasonably priced' to the individual :rolleyes:

Many thanks,
Hellz
I use a rather large clock, I don’t carry it about with me but it’s always there, well during the day it is. It’s very simple to use for camping and the like. My Grandfather used it and so did his. Once you get used to it, it is accurate enough for camping and wild walking. It’s also good for telling me when to stop and camp for the night.

I do not wear a watch. Haven’t done so for 10 years. The sun is good enough time keeper for me. Especially if I am on holiday or not planning on going to work.

I have a rubbishy electrical one (Motorola v220) I use for work, it’s the main reason I got my phone is so I can set the 6 alarms. It’s also used to take pictures of plants for identification later at home.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE