Watches for the outdoors...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
Tadpole said:
I use a rather large clock,

Tired eyes gave that a totally different meaning....

I used to be a big fan of the G10 military watch, but I bought a Nite MX-10 (with the gtls glowing bits) lately and totally love it. Very scratch resistant and no leather or fabric to get grub or blood ingrained.

M

mikehill

Love the look of the Nite watch, but 46mm ? Anyone know of a Tritum watch thats between 35-40mm diameter ?
Mike.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I am a watch nut and have way too many of the little things. They fascinate me I guess.
I would say to keep the price reasonable and for reliability, a Seiko automatic diver such as model SKX007K. No batteries to run out, can be read easily in the dark and it will take about anything without quiting. Toss the rubber strap and get a NATO strap in 22mm and you are set.
Another super option is a Casio G-Shock that is solar powered. Unlikely to ever need a battery (capacitor) change, very accurate, a light for night reading and a variety of features available. A good one is about $80US.
I kinda prefer the watch with hands because it is easier for my old eyes to read. The digital Casio is less expensive, more accurate and expendable. I do not like the straps, but you can learn to live with them.
I would think the Seiko would be about $150US.
The one I wear has been bead blasted, has a custom military style dial and hands and the 60 minute bezel was swapped for one with 12 hours for keeping track of a second time zone, like GMT. Like I said, I am a watch nut:)
Hope that helps. Cheers!

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Had heaps being a bit of a watch nut - fancy ones with alitimeters, depth gauges, barometers, tachygraphs, countodown timers etc all in one. From Casio to Seiko to Omega.

Still have them but minimalism rules now. The one that is used now is an 80s Seiko with a button compass on the strap.

I save my money for a good trip or courses where I learn to do more with less.

Recently went to Australia and learnt to dispense with even the magnetic compass and make and use a solar compass.

M

mikehill

Now you've got me looking at THIS :rolleyes: Anyone interested in a couple of genuine Tags ? :D
Mike.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
In a fit of madness I bought one of those wrist top computer jobbies; altimeter, barometer, compass, enigma machine etc. One of the sillyest things I've ever bought for outdoor use. I use it, but only cos I bought it. Given the choice I'd use the £5 casio jobbie that I use for running.

stonyman

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 8, 2004
Gloucester
Lorus Sport with Lumibrite face, looks like one of the military style watches, bought it cheap from Argos, has an analogue dial, no special functions it just lets me know what the time is.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Bottom end casio.

worn one every day and night for 20 odd years now...just bought my third. (dunno how many straps ive gone though. (leather is best followed by webbing)

The retro look ares are around if you cant stand the chunky, oversized things you see these days

Id love a G shock or a proper millitary but as usual cant afford one

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I would also reccomend Lorus as this is made by Seiko so quality is not an issue. My son had his for a tenth birthday present and broke the glass some time during the year. For his eleventh birthday he got his watch again... but repaired. The reason for this little story is that Seiko repairs are simple easy and quick. Just an 'e'mail and a jiffy bag or a phone call and the jiffy bag arrives with all instructions on where to send the item. Maidenhead in this case and a five day turnaround. As with a lot of things...If the spares back up is good you are a very satisfied customer!
Ah yes, the watch is a Lorus sports with day and date, 100meter waterproof with nice face numbers(I can see them without glasses) and lumibrite so can be seen easily at night. Not loads of bells and whistles so if you are into that this probably not your type of timepiece.
I hope this is useful.
Swyn.
PS. The only watch I have ever owned was given to me by my father on my twelth birthday, bought at the Omega shop in Geneva Switzerland in 1971!
I only wear a watch when going out somewhere special, so this doesn't get worn very often. Still going well and still keeps good time for a wind-up.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Just my normal everyday watch: a Lorus Tri - Lum (mega green-ish luminated / glow-in-the-dark display).
Solar powered, no need for batteries, etc. Either positioned on my left wrist, or on a cord around my neck.

Though I've seen a nice Rolex ;) :rolleyes: :eek:

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
rik_uk3 said:
Timex Explorer, but no compass??? need one of them :)
I second the timex explorer.........I found one near ben nevis about 10 - 12 years ago, and although the strap is mullered now, the watch is still going strong and has never had even the battery changed. It has had a hard life too, I use it as a work watch, and being a builder, it has had more than its fair share of bumps and scratches, but still it works..........
ps.........If it was your watch............CHEERS

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
mikehill said:
Love the look of the Nite watch, but 46mm ? Anyone know of a Tritum watch thats between 35-40mm diameter ?
Mike.

When I first got the Nite I was really dissapointed by it's size, but I've got used to it now and really like it.
I think there are G10 watches with GTLS that are just normal G10 size, Telford Services have a good range.

M

mikehill

Lurch said:
When I first got the Nite I was really dissapointed by it's size, but I've got used to it now and really like it.
I think there are G10 watches with GTLS that are just normal G10 size, Telford Services have a good range.
Cheers, will take a look :)
Mike.

retrohiker

Jul 2, 2005
Ohio, USA
I've gotten to the point that I don't like wearing a watch while hiking, especially in the summer. Just too hot and the leather bands tends to get pretty rank from the sweat. I've recently converted to an "old style" pocket watch from Cabela's. Got a great deal in their "Bargain Cave".....a used watch for only $9 US dollars. What that...about 5 pounds UK? It's working out great so far. Here's the link:

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ...ode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=pocket+watch&noImage=0

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
Wow, thanks all for your very interesting posts!

:You_Rock_

I agree with those of you that mentioned Traser H3, I have an old model that I think was called the P6900 (looks like a P6500, but with a slightly smaller diameter bezel). It's great but has got to be sent away for a battery replacement and service and I'm concerned that parts won't be available as it's not in production any more... :(

I'm looking to get a cheaper stand in though, and the replies have been very useful! I like the look of the Timex Expedition range, and really like the look of the price :D

Can anyone tell me the bezel size of the Expedition range?

This one in particular:
timex-expedition-combo.jpg

Thanks all
Hellz

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I have an old Timex Expedition, it has been running on the same battery for about four years now!! The bezel fell off in the end, so I glued it back on with araldite. I then found out that I had glued the crown so that I couldn't change the time :rolleyes: but after a bit of work with the duty leatherman wave, I freed it up enough so that I can now change the time, but the alarm is stuck on whatever it was set on before I glued it up!

Good watch for the money though, and there is nothing like lighting up the forest with the light when you are on a night patrol! :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE