Watch for a child

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Hi there!

After a little help... The childs birthday is looming, and as well as his knife, I'd really like to surprise him with a watch. He was promised one last year by his father, and neither he, nor the present have materialised since... Needless to say, he was heart broken. I have NO knowledge of them however so when I looked on e-bay I glazed over immediately...

So these are the requirements:

Bomb proof (or at least 8 year old proof)

Doesn't have to be a childs but does have to fit his small wrist or be easy to modify

Compass? Not certain how likely that one is, but he'd love it. :rolleyes:

Cheap enough that he can take it out and use it without tooo much worry about it getting lost.

Not exactly bushcraft I guess, but I need help!! :eek:

Thanks in advance guys...

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Iona,
Sorry to hear of the no-show's... not nice when a kiddie is involved, though I'm sure the wee one will pull through and love You all the more.

What about a Seiko? OK not the sexiest watch in the world, though never needs a battery as it's an automatic winding thingamybob, not to large, easily taken down strap. I had two, one which I bought for my 18th birthday and another that seems to have gone walkabout. The first is still going strong despite a slightly bent crown which makes changing the date a pain. Doesn't do a lot else but but is accurate...just take it off before sleep to kep it in time, and has been many exciting places.
Not sure of the price, last time I looked about £50 - £60 quid.
Nice simple watch that wont go wrong.
TTFN
Goatboy.

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
See, not to my taste, which probably means it's PERFECT. :D

Seriously though, it looks like a proper boys watch, and at that price, if he does manage to lose it, I won't have to have a breakdown ;)

Cheers, it's a definite contender...

Beleve it or not these watches are great for kids, they look the part, are pretty tough - ish, keep good time & cost next to nothing. My kids used to love theirs.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BOYS-KIDS-TEE...66:2|39:1|72:1688|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

I even had a Terrain watch myself for work for years.

There's also a few cheap rugged looking Timex explorer kids on there for about £21

Booster

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
My 8-year old has a cheap Timex explorer. Great watch, only problem is it's not waterproof, so I've had to strip it down a couple of times when he's jumped in a pool with it on. Worth getting something that's properly waterproof (even just to 10m) rather than just water resistant. Oh, and write the name on the strap otherwise it'll be gone in 5 minutes...

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Iona,
Sorry to hear of the no-show's... not nice when a kiddie is involved, though I'm sure the wee one will pull through and love You all the more.

What about a Seiko? OK not the sexiest watch in the world, though never needs a battery as it's an automatic winding thingamybob, not to large, easily taken down strap. I had two, one which I bought for my 18th birthday and another that seems to have gone walkabout. The first is still going strong despite a slightly bent crown which makes changing the date a pain. Doesn't do a lot else but but is accurate...just take it off before sleep to kep it in time, and has been many exciting places.
Not sure of the price, last time I looked about £50 - £60 quid.
Nice simple watch that wont go wrong.
TTFN
Goatboy.

Hi Iona,
well I retract my statement on the watch, though I love automatics for their "bushcraftyness" the Seiko's have gone through the roof pricewise... had a look today. Yeah it's cheap in that it never needs bateries and I know my origional can sit in a drawer for ages ( coming up for a decade at one point) and a light shake and off it goes again, like we'd never been apart.
A cool BabyG by casio would also be good as they're pretty much child proof. :rolleyes:
TTFN
Goatboy.

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
I think a mechanical watch will definitely be more awesome for a kid than a soulless battery watch. 30 quid would get you a russian vostok watch, wind up or automatic. Loads of styles to choose from and really robust. Worth a look at least.

http://www.russia4u.co.uk/categories.php?cat=7

Are all the models they show authentic - tank, navy, kgb, kremlin etc.? Or are they modern creations for the Western market?

Jim

Adrian

Forager
Aug 5, 2005
South East London
I don't know how much you want to spend, but if you are up for £50, I can recommend the Pulsar that is usually on offer through the Radio Times, Times etc.
Pulsars are made by Seiko and the model currently on offer uses Seiko's kinetic winding system, and it is fairly tough and waterproof. The numerals are readable in the dark as well!

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
Hi Iona,

I have no idea about the quality but the Terrain looks the part for not too much money. If you are looking for an 'heirloom' type gift he will keep for the rest of his life then one of the well known, named brands might be better.

Not to your taste perhaps but I know that big knobbly watch would appeal to my 8yr old!

Cheers,
Steve

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Hi Iona,

I have no idea about the quality but the Terrain looks the part for not too much money. If you are looking for an 'heirloom' type gift he will keep for the rest of his life then one of the well known, named brands might be better.

Not to your taste perhaps but I know that big knobbly watch would appeal to my 8yr old!

Cheers,
Steve

I think mine too!

An heirloom it certainly won't be, my boy being the type who currently has his arm in plaster having proved he is not even capable of keeping THAT intact...:rolleyes:

I think for the Wow factor when he gets it, and the lack of stress for me at the prospect of him losing it, that one's looking good. Then maybe in a few years when he's a bit more careful with things, a really good one with all the extras might replace it.

Not a definite, but looking good. Thanks so much for all the advice :D

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
i have to agree with calculon.
yo can't go far wrong with the terrain
used to have one for work, it worked great until I droped it from the top of the flagpole at london aquarium about a 50ft drop onto paving stones and at the price its not a great loss if it gose for a wander by its self.
bob

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I bought it! And the Terrain :) Thanks for all the advice and ideas guys, The budget turned out to be a little tighter than I'd hoped, and the Terrain was a perfect solution. it arrived today, and is soo cute!

Out of interest he is also getting a Brusletto Balder, and his first hammock, so I expect to have a VERY happy little boy next month, and am feeling like rather a smug and happy Mummy :approve:

Thanks!

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
Traser P6500 will out-cool any watch in the playground, isn't too dear and will fit a small wrist.

£140+?
only realy not to dear when compared to omegas, rolexes and the alike.

I will say that the citizen eco-drive watches are very nice, and the basic models don't cost too much (around £50) but I imagine it was still a bit over what you where looking at. also didn't suggest them for this because I imagine that for an 8 year old they do lack a bit of the "cool factor", but mine has held up pretty well (strap needed replacing after a couple of years though), with only a few scratches on the glass, and I've used it for pretty much everything I do (day to day use, scout camps, swimming, occasional rock climbing to name but a few) plus it's never going to need new batteries.

course now I'm liking the look of those russian watches......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE