Warwickshire living history fairs - heads up.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Postings for the February and March 2010 events begin at post #24

Warwickshire living history fairs

The International Living History Fair 27th February/28th February/1st March 2009 (November '09 fair is 30th October - 1st November)

The Original Re-enactors Market 13th 14th and 15th March 2009 (November '09 fair is 20th - 22nd November)

Both fairs / markets are worth a look if you enjoy making a bit of kit now and then and are looking for suppliers – or even if you have some materials lying around and you’re looking for inspiration.

There are usually a variety of knife blanks available and Damascus is often available.

Amongst the many 'things' which are usually available are: Foods, cloth/fabrics, leather and leather goods, books, dyes, bone work, sharpening stones, silly hats, saltpetre, oils, traditional alcohol, incense, sheepskins, furs, horn, antler and various types of footwear.

It can be an interesting few hours - if a bit heavy on the pocket and, if you get engrossed, taxing on a less interested partner :eek: .

No connections et.c.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What he said in post no 1 :D
The markets are usually well worth a good nosey wander around. Amazing some of the stuff you come across :)

I'm coming down for the second one :cool: so are a few more of the Scots.......anyone else going along ?

cheers,
Toddy

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
Hi,

Does anyone know if there is an entry fee for The International Living History Fair 27th February/28th February/1st March 2009?

I quite fancy taking the whole brood!

Cheers,
Steve

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... The markets are usually well worth a good nosey wander around. Amazing some of the stuff you come across ...

Cor, that cost a bit :eek: . I managed to restock on a few bits and pieces, and found some of the bits I'd been keeping an eye out for for projects I'd like to do (plus a few spares :D )

... I'm coming down for the second one :cool: so are a few more of the Scots.......anyone else going along ?

The whole weekend or a (very long) day trip?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
A verrrry long day trip. Probably do B&B and come home the next day.

I really preferred when the two markets were on over the same weekend, it meant I got to see all of the traders and not just half of them :(

What good things did you see though :)

cheers,
M

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I really preferred when the two markets were on over the same weekend, it meant I got to see all of the traders and not just half of them :(

What good things did you see though :)

:lmao: - Two on the same weekend, not sure whether swmbo would've done to me :eek: .
A fair chunk of the faces are at both (or have been the past few times). I can see what you mean though, there are pro's and con's for conflicting shows in close locations - more so for the customer than the traders though.

I like the small things - the ideas and inspiration, which come from these shows. That, and meeting traders(and maker traders) who have a real passion for the subject(s) which they're involved with.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I didn't realise that the restrictions on traders being at both shows had been relaxed :cool:

Thanks for the suggestion of helping to arrange camping, but I'm sure we'll be in the company of a number of folks who'll just want the pub, a carry out, and then bed when the fair is closed.

Looking forward to this now :)

cheers,
Toddy

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I didn't realise that the restrictions on traders being at both shows had been relaxed :cool: ...

I hadn't realised that there was a restriction :eek: . Having taken a quick look through the traders for both shows it does seem that there are none at both :eek: . I definately recognise some from both - it could be friends helping each other out :confused: .

With a bit more time I could have possibly organised an on site bar :lmao: .

Gwhtbushcraft

Settler
Nov 16, 2006
Warwickshire
Darn, i missed the first one, about 5 minutes from my house! i always see these threads too late! I hope to see some of you at the second one though:)
George

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I hadn't realised that there was a restriction :eek: . Having taken a quick look through the traders for both shows it does seem that there are none at both :eek: . I definately recognise some from both - it could be friends helping each other out :confused: .
With a bit more time I could have possibly organised an on site bar :lmao: .

The gossip goes that Anne Laverick doesn't allow those who trade at the inlh fair to trade at her torm one. Whether it's true or not I don't know. I do know that one used to be a real mix of kind of wacky traders as well as the usual kind, and the other could be very professional but a bit 'as expected'. I distinctly recall a visit to the ladies loo at one of the ilhf markets and finding the end of a conga line of women tieing each other into corsets for the parade :eek: I don't think they do that now, or the tournament with armoured knights knocking each other around with big swords either though.

I expect to be there on the Saturday, if anyone else is too.......maybe arrange a meeting place/ time ??

atb,
Toddy

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Ooh, I like a bit of intrigue :eek: .

I wonder if one or more of the organisers are trying to give a greater number of traders a chance to get in and sell?

There were one or two traders who were definately at the last ilhf but not at this one. One or two at this ilhf were at the autumn '08 torm.

If some of those who weren't at ihlf are at torm and vise-versa it may go some way towards an answer ...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
To be fair Anne Laverick is reputed to limit the number of competitors, i.e. all selling the same stuff, at her markets. Maybe that's where the gossip came from.

There looks like there'll be about 40 that I know coming down (not all bushcrafty folks) so it's going to be busy in the pub :)

cheers,
M

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... i always see these threads too late! I hope to see some of you at the second one though ...

The torm's spread over two adjoining halls and, depending on what takes your interest, can take a while to get around :yikes: . As it can get a bit busy later in the day I'd try, if possible, to get there quite close to the opening time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE