Warwickshire living history fairs - heads up.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
And another BUMP :)

I'm going down tomorrow with Monarch and driving back home afterwards :eek:
We're going to be kind of shattered, but happy to sit and have a coffee with friends :D

cheers,
M

Berk

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2011
Northants
Looks like me and Hulahoop will be going tomorrow it seems, more for a day out than to buy anything, our poor bank balances suffer enough right now.

Berk

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2011
Northants
Well, we set a budget before we went, and stuck to it near enough. Except I never really got anything (apart from some of the worlds hottest jerky and some fudge), Hulahoop got a sheep skin though.. No idea what she will do with it yet, for now it's acting as a chair cover.

It was a great afternoon though, lots to see and be tempted by, a few ideas gleaned, and some really helpful stall owners. Well worth a visit.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Good to know that you enjoyed the event :cool: .

Well, we set a budget before we went, and stuck to it near enough. <<<

:lmao: I know that thought, oh so well :lmao: .

>>> It was a great afternoon though, lots to see and be tempted by, a few ideas gleaned, and some really helpful stall owners. Well worth a visit.

The new venue has allowed extra vendors :approve: and (slightly) wider isles :approve: . This new place also seems to have better natural lighting :approve: :approve: :approve:

From a quick natter I gather that there are plans to further expand both the idea and the event.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It was a heck of a trip. Left here before 6.30am and didn't get back home until 12.20am the next day. Absolutely shattered. Not doing it that way again.

However, cash machine charges (Scottish bank notes almost always cause comment so I get cash in England and the onsite machines wanted £2.75 :sigh: even the motorway services only charge £1.99 ) and directions (any would have been good) apart, it was a really good show. Lots more space, better lay out, clean all day toilets and lots and lots of traders in everything from knife blades (damascus £45) to buffalo horn (£8), from a huge selection of wools, threads and patterns to exquisite glasswork and leather goods :)

Glad I went, just not ever travelling like that again.

cheers,
M

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
It was a heck of a trip. Left here before 6.30am and didn't get back home until 12.20am the next day. <<<

:yikes: I had wondered whether >>>
Toddy said:
I'm going down tomorrow with Monarch and driving back home afterwards
<<< was refering to a single day or to the event :yikes: .

>>> Absolutely shattered. Not doing it that way again. <<<

I don't blame you

>>> However, cash machine charges (Scottish bank notes almost always cause comment so I get cash in England and the onsite machines wanted £2.75 :sigh: even the motorway services only charge £1.99 ) <<<

:yikes: Fees ... :yikes: HOW MUCH!?! :yikes:

I've had them 'funny foreign notes' a couple of times ~ but not often enough to not make me pause for thought :eek: .

>>> and directions (any would have been good) apart, <<<

The directions did leave a bit to be desired :lmao: . Even Bruntingthorpe's wasn't the most accurate or helpful. Their website has a clickable map ~ which, for some reason, links to a 'contact us' page :confused: :dunno: :confused: . I just wanted a link to a larger map so that I could read the road numbers :eek: :lmao: :eek: . I gather from a converstion or two that both the local and onsite directions should be much improved next time ~ the reality of an event highlights problems which need tackling.

Hopefully, the heating will be sorted for subsequent events :campfire: ~ I _think_ the the temperature was set for an empty hall.

Glad I went, just not ever travelling like that again.

I know of a half decent campsite just a little bit further down th road. Suitable for an over nighter or for the weekend ;) :lmao: .

Snarf

Nomad
Mar 30, 2009
Birmingham
Phil, are you going?

I might take a drive on sunday hmm.....

Its 25 miles from mine which is just under an hour :(

What type of things do they have?

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Phil, are you going?

I might take a drive on sunday hmm.....

I should be ~ probably on Sunday as well.

What type of things do they have?

I tend to use it as an inspiration for making items. It's a wide range of stuff and takes in made goods as well as supplies to make things. Have a look through the traders list as it will give you a better idea than I can. Most of the traders are makers and are happy to talk to you.

Even if you just look and don't buy, in my opinion, it's worth the trip ~ especially if you make bits and pieces ;) .

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Well i might pop down on sunday, weather and fuel permitting.

TORM is held twice a year and this is the third year that I'll be scheduling an RC Meet to coincide with the autumn TORM market ~ so there's the choice to wait and get two birds with one stone ;) .

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Well, that's the International over, that is, until February/March next year.

Good event again ~ as with the spring '11 event the on site directions were _a bit lacking_ :(

It really is nice to talk to traders who are friendly, happy to answer daft questions and are there because they have a passion for their subject and aren't just there 'because ... '

Anyone else pop in?

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
There's been a fair bit of nattering behind the scenes and a couple of us have been trying to organise a meet up schedule for those at the TORM event so that those who are travelling to the market can meet up and put faces to names and have a natter.

What we have come up with is ...

Day
Time
Meet up location
Friday
14:00
Pavillion Bar (in, at or near)
Saturday
12:00
Sunday
12:00

The Pavillion is in the smaller and lower of the two buildings and the bar can be found inside on the right hand side of the hall.

We're not going down the route of red carnation in the button hole and a folded copy of The Times in the cruck of the left arm ~ but those coming from the Meet will probably have topped up their smokey ruggedness ;)

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
We had a few more from these boards visit TORM this time round and (I think) most seemed to enjoy their visit :cool: .

The next International Living History Fair is scheduled for Friday 24[SUP]th[/SUP] to Sunday 26[SUP]th[/SUP] February 2012 .

The dates for the next TORM event have been booked ~ but due to losing my bit of paper :)o) I can't check when it is (TORM web site is yet to be updated). It's usually held on the second weekend after the International ~ I'll bump the thread as and when I find out to confirm.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
With just seven(ish) weeks until the International, it's time to bump the thread again ...

The next International Living History Fair will be held on the weekend 24 ~ 26 February. Location.

The next TORM will be held on the weekend 16 ~ 18 March*. Location.

* Ignore the bit in the link that says 'AUTUMN MARKET', the dates and month for the market are correct.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE