Warden's Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
My Girlfriend is a warden with the national trust and could do with a decent knife for general use and bushcraft, I was thinking of getting her a British Army Clasp knife with the marlin spike, unfortunately I couldn't sweet-talk RQ into 'acquiring' me one.

So, any thoughts on a decent knife that's robust and safe to carry to and from work?

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Depends what she likes mate. The joker is cheap and a good blade, go spyderco for more money but a bit more modern looking.
Maybe an Sheffield jobby.

How much you wanting to spend? Also have a good look through www.heinnie.com, there is an option there for UK legal carry knifes.

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
I wasn't too sure about the law regarding carrying blades too and from work (my bayonet stays in the armoury). I'm looking to spend about £30. Dwardo, do you have a link to the joker? I'll have a browse through heinnie in the mean time.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Sak sentinel, they lock & are about £20 on amazon, or the sak farmer, whis is legal carry & about the same price.

Rob

WoodMan

Forager
Jan 18, 2008
Norfolk
I think the work knife for a NT Warden is a simple choice between a SAK and a Leatherman, which model of either to choose is not so simple!

As for a 'bushcraft' knife, how long have you got! Everything from a £8.99 Mora to a £500 Alan Wood and everything in between!

So, my final answer... she needs three knives... 1) a leatherman, 2) a small Swiss army knife - my choice would be the medium size one with saw and scissors, not sure which model this is. This will come into its own for occaisions where it might not be PC to have a larger knife or tool on her belt such as courses/guided walks/events etc. And finally, 3) A nice fixed blade, I would wait for a British made custom knife to come up second hand on here or British Blades.

Glyn.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Reactions: plastic-ninja

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
british army s/steel knife with marlin spike £24 heavy but at least you know its in your pocket i wouldn't be without mine regards dave

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
As a ranger myself I would agree with woodman and I totally would recommend a leatherman for her. Really useful, I don't know where I'd be without mine :) and just straps to your belt.

I also carry an opinel 8 as a cheap and cheerful user which I use for the dirtier jobs.

I don't tend to take my sheath knives to work unless I'm teaching bushcraft sessions.

Orric

Reactions: plastic-ninja

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I managed 7 years as an NT warden without carrying a knife but if she wants one then a good SAK or leatherman would be handy. If she is into traditional stuff then a Trevor Ablett trad Sheffield knife and then a cheap but good mora or similar for when she is doing bushcraft stuff.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
I would go with a leatherman myself if she needs a good all rounder, multi tool and knife I use the Charge AL for work and it's frankly the best tool I own I can get most of jobs out the way and the mini screw driver on it is invaluable.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
The Gerber Suspension is a decent enough multitool and should serve her well.
My Gerber Sport has served me well for many years now and the suspension is tougher still.
Good choice.
Simon

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Love mine to bits and about the best multi-tool available (IMHO) once you factor in the price - A Leatherman is just too pricey to risk losing one!

The pliers on the suspension are really very good, but with that said, the steel does seem a bit soft. Granted that makes the blade easy to sharpen, but I do seem to sharpen the straight blade every time I use it! The Phillips driver is a bit of a novelty and the small screwdriver suffers a bit from the softness which afflicts the blades but as long as you treat it as Jack of all Trades, Master of None it does exactly what it's supposed to do.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE