My retro knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
1973 I reported to USCG Kodiak Alaska Air Station. I was a ‘ black shoe ‘ and not Aviation rate ‘ brown shoe.’ I was tossed a no longer regulation fishtail parka.
I ‘acquired’ bits of kit, including a Camillus Aircrew Survival knife, our unit field tested the then new ( and recently out of business) DOANS ferro rod/magnesium block. It was a perfect fit in the sharpening stone pouch( terrible stone) I still kept the BCB made NATO lifeboat matches.
I was soon flying as an aerial observer and attended arctic survival school.
Everyone found fault in the knife.
It was my first real blade and I learned to ‘make it work’ it is actually a very ergonomic tool for its primary purpose, extricating oneself from a crashed aircraft and then as survival AND self defense weapon. No easy task for any blade.
It worked. I later served on Motor life boats and acquired a WW2 British clasp knife with marlinedpike, sheep’s foot and can opener.
Both were stolen, I transferred to San Francisco. A old Alaska shipmate at the Airstation liberated a 1975 dated example.
That to, disappeared in civilian life.
I just came into an identical date stamped example.
I know it’s shortcomings, laugh at the inaccurate nonsense online.
it’s on my hip hiking while a custom bushcraft/ survival knife gets a vacation.I quickly put a scary sharp edge on that beats other supersteels.
Fellow veterans and knife people look at me with either contempt, or nostalgia.
It works.My equally older hands
Remembers the old grip tension, sweet spots for cutting chores and an actual use for the saw back. It holds another , now rare DOANS.
And I feel an odd sense of security and empowerment my other knives somehow lacked, though splendid and a half century of advances .

Last edited:

R_Fonseca

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2021
Dublin
www.fonseca.ie
Interesting read.

You know, I've been close to getting a version of those pilot knives a few times, but always change my mind as practicality wins out.

Had to google the clasp knife. Looks interesting... some pics would be good.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Critics ignore the main purpose of the knife is to get out of a mangled airplane. Then, if any hostile pulls a Ak47 bayonet- a wretched piece of steel, the Bowie with upswept clip and hammer pommel are actually better than a KaBar. Or, if ditched at sea in a life raft, that hex pommel locks into your paddle in case JAWS bumps to aggressively. The upper guard holes are to lash onto a wee stick
Once ashore. Now your harpoon is a spear with a 4 3/4 blade. The first Camillus 1958-60 were 6” and proved to big in a fighter cockpit. I’ve heard experts state these were Korean War issue.
Back to your spear. Now Bart the bear is in trouble. The sawback meant to cut aluminum and plexiglass is actually good for scraping that magnesium and making paracord sized notches.
-Notches made in less time and effort just cutting. The hammer pommel is good for cracking bones for tools and marrow Bart
No longer needs.
So there you go. And half a century later examples dated during Vietnam ( and probably issued in W Germany) go for more money than 1976.
People call it the airforce pilots knife, Vietnam jet pilots knife, bolt Knife, 499 after Ontario joined production.the original contractor was the USN for carrier fighter jets.
I just call it my Camillus

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Yes, except that is a Ontario , sadly now out of business. The
Camillus ( another NY company that met a similar ignoble end)
Has a more upswept clip point that is more prone to snapping
And a higher Rockwell. Many owners remove the upper guard
And there is enough bladestock
To reprofile to personal preference of angle. Plain vanilla 1095 that takes a razor sharp edge.

Reactions: Kadushu

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I gather the Ka-bars have a sketchy reputation for the rat tail tang snapping if you over work them. Is the pilot knife more robust?

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
It’s also a rat tail , but doesn’t have the extreme 90 degree machining of the KaBar. I’ve never seen one snap, but repeated pounding with the hammer cap can loosen things up. The guard has simple tack welds much like the big Brit MK 4 and leather can dry and shrink if not greased.
Again, this was a knife to hack free in/out broken aircraft, do EE and get picked up ASAP. A instructor
Told pilots in Vietnam to carry a spare radio instead of a pearl handled 38 and get the Jolly Green Giants inbound.
They found their way into many
Non aviation hands.
They aren’t the best, full tangs and crowbar thick blades that cut wood ( Mors Kochanski) are today’s standard.
But, If one comes along, it can get the job done with care.

Reactions: Kadushu

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE