wanted- someone to modify bushcraft knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrdaviemac

Jan 4, 2010
Perth. Scotland
Hi all, today I recieved my handmade bushcraft knife from Ronnie sunshines. It is a beauty but I feel it could be a lot sharper. Is there someone out there who could give iy a good and proper scandi gind and sharpen to shaving sharp? I am willing to pay the going rate for time spent etc. Will post and pay for return postage. Any help would be much appreciated. Dave.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Is it not a scandi already? Can you link to the knife on Ronnie Sunshine's website?
Sounds like an excellent opportunity to buy some stones and learn how to sharpen a knife :)

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Best advice i can give mate is if you are going to use the knife then maybe its a good idea to have a go at sorting it yourself as it wont stay sharp for long if your using it and then you will need to sharpen it anyway.:)

mrdaviemac

Jan 4, 2010
Perth. Scotland
Thanks for the response. I am confident enough to sharpen/maintain it but would be keen to let a pro set me a base to work from. It is sold with a scandi but seems to me to be more convex grind. Not a perfect straight grind but with a slight convex bow to it? Not sue how to post links but google ronnie sunshines and is in his bushcraft shop for sale. It is also not at all sharp where the blade meets the handle but not sure if this is deliberate for using firesteel. Soory for being thick but this is my first proper bushcraft knife. Have had becker bk7 etc, different kind of knife totally! Thanks again for all the help. Dave

Thanks for the response. I am confident enough to sharpen/maintain it but would be keen to let a pro set me a base to work from. It is sold with a scandi but seems to me to be more convex grind. Not a perfect straight grind but with a slight convex bow to it? Not sue how to post links but google ronnie sunshines and is in his bushcraft shop for sale. It is also not at all sharp where the blade meets the handle but not sure if this is deliberate for using firesteel. Soory for being thick but this is my first proper bushcraft knife. Have had becker bk7 etc, different kind of knife totally! Thanks again for all the help. Dave

One of these then

http://www.ronniesunshines.com/bushcraft-bushcraft-knives-c-31_141.html

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
A scandi with no secondary bevel is one of the easiest knives to sharpen. Get a tutorial and have a go - its all part of the joy and trepidation of owning a good knife. My advice is to use a finer stone (grit) than you really need to sharpen it so you can get your technique right without taking too much metal off.

I am quite surprised at this price it did not come razor sharp with a profesionally set-up edge though.

mrdaviemac

Jan 4, 2010
Perth. Scotland
Have watched the you tube ray mears clip. Does look easy! Will have a go on the wetstones. Really pleased with the knife but yes, could have been a lot sharper for the money!!

PeterHW

Forager
Dec 31, 2005
U.K.
Well from earlier posts this should be the knife...

RS_KNIFE1.jpg

Makes it easier than links...

However your post on sharpness on Scandi edge bushcrafters regarding sharpness is interesting... at least to me ...

If sharpening yourself and wanting to get a really good edge that is long lasting .... here is what Spyderco say regarding their Sharpmaker... they advise that after testing a lot of knife steels their best edge retention comes from a 20 degree either side primary edge or 40 degrees inclusive with a 15 degree either side or 30 degree inclusive secondary bevel helping. The Sharpmaker comes with ceramic triangle rods and a DVD of how to use their system with pre-set fitting holes for the rods which give these settings.

After owning and sharpening just about every type of grind on a knife I find it hard to contradict what they say... as a novice I won't try and blind you with "sharpening" talk but would fully recommend investing in this sharpening system.

My own experience of Ray's DVD tutorial is that sharpening on the full scandi edge shown above gives an edge which whilst being very sharp initially is too thin and easily rolls.... once it rolls it is blunter than an edge gradually eroded through use...the rolling effect being more sudden and detrimental to a sharp edge gradually blunting...

Ray in his tutorial uses a window of a landrover to give his edge a final sorting...the angle he holds it at is higher than the scandi grind...this gives a slight primary bevel which is at a less shallow and more obtuse angle than the edge obtained by holding the grind flat against the stone. In my view this angle is close to that which you would get with a Sharpmaker on 40 degrees inclusive....in which case you might as well stick with the sharpmaker system and put an edge on using it.

For what it is worth .... after loads of testing of knives .... my Scandi blades hold a much longer and better edge with a combination of using the sharpmaker and stropping the blade using green chrome polish on a leather paddle....my paddle is one made and sold by www.knivesshipfree.com in the USA... but many others would do...

It seems to me that the edges obtained from sharpening by holding the knife at the angles created by the scandi edge grind are a bit too thin....they may work well if the knife has been hardened to a high Rockwell setting... say around Rc 63which heps prevent rolling but can leave an edge more prone to chipping... but most blades in O1 Steel are done at Rc 58-59....at this setting the Spyderco finding that a 40 degree inclusive/ 20 degree either side edge works best also works best for me.

So if you are a beginner....do try the Spyderco Sharpmaker as a means of getting an edge that works well....and see for yourself.

Last edited:

mrdaviemac

Jan 4, 2010
Perth. Scotland
Well folks, matter resolved! Knife sent back to manufacturer and returned razor sharp completely f.o.c!! What a brill piece of kit now. Would certainly recommend this knife to anyone. Very pleased with service, only wish more companies were as good to deal with. Thanks to everyone who helped!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE