Wanted: Large rock.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Not just any old rock. Let me explain.

My wife likes snakes. We have a place in the south of France, and there are snakes all over the place. A lot of them like to bask in warm places, especially on a dark surface that has been warmed by the sun. Unfortunately that often means the tarmac surface of a road, often with the predictable result.

My wife wants to get a big, dark-coloured rock to put in the garden so that (she hopes) a few of the snakes will come to bask on it instead of making their way to the road. I know it won't help the snake population one little bit, but it would be nice for her to see a snake or two basking on her snake rock now and then. We see more than enough dying on the road.

A piece or few of dark slate might do. It would need to be thick, so that will hold some heat, not thin like slates we use for roofing, which in the fierce sun that we can get down there would get far too hot very quickly and would get cold equally quickly when the sun goes down.

I've put a list of possible swaps at

http://www.jubileegroup.co.uk/JOS/misc/swaps.txt

but I'm prepared to pay for a suitable chunk of slate or dark coloured rock or whatever.

Before you all say "Why don't you ask a builder in France" I can tell you that I've plenty of experience of asking builders in France to do things for me, and if I never have to do it ever again in my entire life it will be too soon.

could mould a wheelbarrow of concrete to look rock like ie dig a hole line with plastic tip it in you can use concrete dye for some colou and it will weather etc

Used by Geoff Hamilton to make Rock gardens etc

ATB

Duncan

his recipe

Geoff Hamilton's recipe for rocks
2 parts coir
2 parts sharp sand
1 part fresh cement concrete (neutral for best effect)
water
a sheet of polythene

1.Dig an irregularly shaped hole in the ground to be a mould for your rock.
2.Line it with polythene, or plastic sacks with lots of crinkles to create the fissures in the surface of the rock
3.Mix the ingredients together to a porridgey consistency, pour into the hole. Wait until thoroughly dry - about 3 days, depending on the weather.
4.Lift out the rock and move to desired site.
5.Paint with yoghurt or liquid manure to encourage weathering

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Hi Ged,

Rather than tow a large rock to France I would be tempted to knock up something like a sandpit and fill it with either dark gravel or even put in a concrete base which you could build into a natural looking plateau and make it a bit of a feature of the garden? Good luck however is turns out, I hope you get to see some snakes - get some piccies posted :)

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
So, French builders are like British builders, but French with it, eh? :bangs head against wall emoticon:

May sound daft but have you considered a slab of concrete (you could diy it) painted black or bitumastic-ed.

oh dear - should've read previous!!! :bangs head against wall emoticon:

Last edited:

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
hiya jed,
seems odd you want to lug a piece of rock to the south of france, their country must be littered with the stuff! have you considered sandstone? holds heat well and tends to be lighter than most other types if you really do want to stuff it in your pannier :)

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... if you really do want to stuff it in your pannier :)

Ah, no, thanks for the concern but it will be going in the truck. :)

I hadn't seen most of the replies here, the email notifications didn't make it. Thanks all for the suggestions. Sorry, I can't use roofing felt or concrete, if it were for me that would be fine but this is for a female. :)

Yes I know there must be rocks lying all around but I really don't want to get arrested for stealing a rock, especially from somewhere like a national monument!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE