Walking stick weapon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
hellocould you tellme where in britain is is legal to own or cary a handgun

Anywhere there is a need of course. Generally, the most common reason is for game dispatch in the larger calibres. Of course if you get a very long barrel and a stock! most pistols ARE allowed. Of course there is the .22 pistol which is still widely used (favoured assassination weapon of the KGB IIRC).

You get the idea. Handguns for NEED have not been banned. Handguns for fun have. (Unfortunately).

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
I understand that weapons can be a touchy subject, and thats mainly because of twatty people miss-using them, knives are getting the same press. I always thought that guns were a part of UK culture, not so much as the Americans etc, but all the same they had a role to play. My dad, grandad and great grandad had guns. Shame we have to hide this subject away for fear of offending some kiddies or students.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I really don't see the issue here. Fair Game is not hidden away, it is an entirely appropriate forum.
BcUK is a family friendly site, and that has been clearly stated from the very start.

As for images of handguns................yeah, we really need to be aware of them in the wet British woodlands we wander ;)

Do you think perhaps this thread could now return to it's original topic?

Toddy

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Toddy we need to get this in perspective before this becomes an issue. Yes this topic started about something else, but hey that's life. It's evident that you are not a fan of firearms- fine and good for you, but a lot of us here are. Firearms are not dangerous (at all!) It's the people that leave them lying around in an unsafe conditions, near to/loaded with ammunition and of course the inappropriate use of them by criminals and some unfortunate people with mental health problems.

I have been fortunate enough to carry a firearm in a police role overseas for 3 years. I drew my weapon once (someone threatened to set a dog on me) and never fired it, yet I get immense fun, yes fun, out of target shooting and also rough game shooting (The things I consider edible I eat).

It is not appropriate to impose peoples views upon other without recourse / redress. By all means tell someone you don't agree with their thought process(es) but the other sub forum you mention is no more appropriate to address this (diversified) topic any more than this sub form.

Firearms are safe- people aren't.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Man, I love it when Tenderfoots start telling the Mods how to run the site...

This forum has rules. You don't have to like them. You don't have to agree with them. You do have to abide by them.

I think I'm pretty safe to say that Toddy's statements in this thread have nothing to do with her personal views on the subject, and everything to with her responsibility as a mod to ensure that the rules of the forum are followed.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Response to post No 64

Y'know that's exactly why I asked that this be returned to it's original topic.
This conflation of your opinion and your determination to state it on the wrong forum.

Bluntly, you don't know me. I not only like guns I own and I use guns, but I will only discuss them in a courteous context.
This isn't it.

BcUK has a policy of self moderation by the members and only when a topic veres too far do the Mods step in. My pm box is filling up with folks asking for this thread to be closed or heavily Modded. Guns, particularly handguns, are not an appropriate topic for this forum.

Now, shall we return the thread to it's original topic.

Toddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE