Walking around Ireland anybody?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
rapidboy said:
Can you camp at Glendalough James, site or wild camp ?

Legally not. I think The Republic of Ireland is probably one of the worst countries in Europe for legal access rights to the countryside.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
As Anthonyyy has said it is not legal to camp in the Glen but as the Wicklow way runs through it and if you are discreet(sp) camping out side of the Glen, it just of the trail is tolerated. The rangers are OK if you resepct them and abid by what they say(if you are total to move then do so it's usually for a reason many areas are under special pretection but are not always mark) they will not bother you further if you are as I said discreet this is my experience only do.

Hostelling the wicklow way is expensive so camping has to be expected. There are some nice official campsites in Roundwood and surrounding areas but they are expensive at high season too (30euro a night no fires but showers and it is of the trail). Also this time of year is best as the weather keeps the far weather ramblers away poking their noise into your tarp. :cussing:

I should post this in the meetings but if anyone is free next month give me shout more then willing to meet up for even a day hike (once you don't mind someone that like to move at a slow pace)

James

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I remember heading back from Glendalough and spending the night in the forest just below the Hellfire Club at Rathfarnham.
I slept very well but my friend had a pretty sleepless night after she told a few stories about the place. :eek:

rb

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Yep it's a favourite for scaring the hell out of young scouts and cubs. It was always a tradition when I was a scout to bring the new recruits up there on night hike. Great fun.

Glencree on the other side of the hills is another favourite haunt so to speak.

James

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
So after alot more search I have come to conculsion that there is not one book recording a complete circumvention of Ireland. I have only two resources left and they are Irelands two outdoor mags and maybe someone at the Outdoor Adventure show next month.

So as one publisher but there is a opening if you want it. Maybe, just Maybe.

James

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE