Walking around Ireland anybody?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Hi All,

Being that there are so many people here I was wondering if anybody knowns of any books or other resources that document someone walking around Island of Ireland.

Several people have done it in alot of different ways such as by donkey and cart or with a Fridge etc. and put their experience in to writting, but I have been searching for a month now and can't find anything recounting the experence of someone having walked around the Island.

Anything would be of help as even a book title or authors name most stores can search. I am not that worried about when it was done either infact the older the journey the better.

Many Thanks in advance :You_Rock_
James

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
Might be worth searching any stuff on Mike Harding he was head of ramblers last I heard and wrote a few articles for trail magazine a few about trips and walks in Ireland
Dave.

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
I did it when I was about 19.....
I would write it up but the mods would pull it after the first afternoon.
A pied, thumbing, the odd bus - It's actually remarkably easy, or was, although we missed the South West out.

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
Great Pebble said:
I did it when I was about 19.....
I would write it up but the mods would pull it after the first afternoon.
A pied, thumbing, the odd bus - It's actually remarkably easy, or was, although we missed the South West out.

That was a long lone time ago ;P

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
jamesdevine said:
Hi All,

Being that there are so many people here I was wondering if anybody knowns of any books or other resources that document someone walking around Island of Ireland.

Several people have done it in alot of different ways such as by donkey and cart or with a Fridge etc. and put their experience in to writting, but I have been searching for a month now and can't find anything recounting the experence of someone having walked around the Island.

Anything would be of help as even a book title or authors name most stores can search. I am not that worried about when it was done either infact the older the journey the better.

Many Thanks in advance :You_Rock_
James

James:

If you decide to take a walk - Please drop in on my niece - who lives in County Mayo - and say "hi" for me.

Further thought. Is there anyone on the board from Yorkshire? My niece was going to head up there sometime, on vacation, to try and check out an ancestor's residence in East Ardsly, Yorkshire. Supposed to have been a "great house," which was still there in 1900. Our ancestor left in 1629.

PG

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I'll drop you a PM Pierre before I set off (summertime).

I imagine alot has changed even since the last time I did some serious walking far of corners of the island(about 3-4years ago).

Anyway off to bash around Glendalough now see you all next week. :)

James

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
I know its not exactly what your after, but I recently finished a great book "Ireland from the Sea".

Excellent book, loads of insights, like the Moorish raiders capturing Irish maidens for use as slaves in Spain!

The book covers lots of Irish history, details of locations in use, and those fallen into disrepair.

Could be a great companion to any other book you choose for your walk.

TC

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Not in one go but I have done all the sectiosn of this and part of the western and Ultster ways. My aim is to do the Wicklow way this year as part of my prep for Italy in August and Sweden in 07.

I am plannig to do it from Carlow to Dublin as it gets the lowland out of the way first.

James

PS Just back for Glendalough it was beautiful as always and cold but alot of fun.

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
jamesdevine said:
First of all I will Ask why you have asked that question not because I have anything to hid but a just curious?

James

Because he saw some misspelled graffiti at a campsite perhaps?

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Probably lol

No we stayed in the Hostel as it was a scout event. Two of our group were there Thrusday do and camped in Glenmalure before hiking Lug on Friday morning. I am hoping to go up there next month again maybe. There are some nice spots for buscrafting.

James

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
jamesdevine said:
PS Just back for Glendalough it was beautiful as always and cold but alot of fun.

Can you camp at Glendalough James, site or wild camp ?
I have been there a few times and i love it but i just stayed in the car park in my camper van.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE