Waist coat pattern

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ledders666

Jun 6, 2010
bath
Hi.

Does anyone have a pattern for a waist coast they wouldn't mind sharing?

I'd like to have a go at turning a wool blanket into a waist coat.

Something like the designs in the below links would be ideal:

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
To make a vest like that i'd use a pattern for a fleece jacket and just leave the arms off, make it a size smaller than you would a jacket proper for a tighter fit and bobs your mothers brother.

I've been looking for a old school fleece gillet in my size but only found mega expensive ones so i'm now going to dig out a old fleece thats a bit tight on me and unpick the sleeves and tape the seams.

Charity shops often have wads of patterns cheap, OK 90 percent will be for dresses or kids stuff. but unless tailored fleece type jackets are unisex. push comes to shove you could always copy the panels from a garment you like the fit of.

ATB

Tom

Reactions: Minotaur

ledders666

Jun 6, 2010
bath
OK thanks for the reply.

Next question is where is a good place to source such wool blankets from?
And is there a specific type which is more suited to this task?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
In the past I have found Merino wool blankets in charity shops for 50p ... not all that common now though! I recently bought some superb wool - heavy and dense "boiled wool" for £18.50 a meter at 60" wide ... 3m makes a pair of trousers and a full fleece jacket!

ledders666

Jun 6, 2010
bath
OK. How does boiled wool differ for this purpose? I've not heard of that before.

This will be my first attempt at making some clothes btw

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Boiled wool is "pre-shrunk" almost felted, dense and almost wind proof - mine is so thick that I cannot get the trouser hem under the sewing machine foot (6 thicknesses of the fabric at the outer seam) - great stuff for winter wear :)
For a first garment I would suggest using fleece ... cheaper and easier to sew!

Reactions: swyn and Minotaur

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE