Stormy Kromer Mackinaw Coat and Vest.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Waylands very nice new Mackinaw Coat is on the Stormy Kromer website, in Black and Red check
Gill is selling a very nice Woolrich in the members classifieds. In Black and Red Check
Swandri Bush Shirts were originally Black and Red check

Out of interest, whats the purpose of the Black and Red colour scheme?

There must be one?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Hello StormyKromer, Nice to see you here.

I think this is a product that will appeal to quite a few people here, I've certainly been impressed by the material and build quality.

If this is an early foray into this kind of garment I think you should do well.

I've yet to give it a thorough testing because the weather is still mild over here but one early point I would make is that it could do with an inside breast pocket, which could easily go behind the upper drop pockets without spoiling the line of the jacket. (In fact I've already added one to mine. I'll post pictures later.)

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Very nice, Gary! I love my Stormy Kromer hats.

I'll offer my opinion on the red & black check pattern, however, maybe one of the manufacturers can provide their historical information. My opinion is from a hunting standpoint and based on my questioning folks, like my late uncles and grandfathers (all wore red & black checked wool coats for hunting). Back before camouflage patterns were prevalent and the latest modern "gee whiz" materials were the "thing", wool was the standard. The red & black check pattern served to break up the outline of the hunter and it worked. I am confident red & black check was probably not initially introduced strictly for hunting. It does "live on", in my opinion, in part, because of the history and tradition of it's use in hunting. Wool is an outstanding choice for outdoor clothing.

Gordy

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
In the Arctic last year I wore 3-4 layers of wool of different weights, topped with a Ventile shell.
Worrked very well !
Nice jacket and vest Stormy Krommer !
Good buy Wayland.
Chris.

S

StormyKromer

Wayland,

That is great input thank you! I will be sure to pass this on to the design team.

Stormy Kromer

S

StormyKromer

Gordy,

I am sure you are correct in your theory of the Red/Black pattern. It was a staple for most hunters here in the US for many years.

Stormy Kromer

Wayland

Hárbarðr
In the Arctic last year I wore 3-4 layers of wool of different weights, topped with a Ventile shell.
Worked very well !
Nice jacket and vest Stormy Krommer !
Good buy Wayland.
Chris.

It looks very fetching Gary! I'd love to know your layering plan for the Arctic. I too an interested in natural alternatives to the modern synthetics.

It sounds like Chris was using pretty much the same plan as I'm intending.

Merino Base layer, wool shirt and trousers, waistcoat, jacket and canvas/Ventile snow parka with Ventile over-trousers.

I will also have a down jacket and a couple of extra base layers available if needed.

By adding, opening or removing these layers I should be able to regulate over quite a good range of temperatures.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Very nice, Gary! I love my Stormy Kromer hats.

I'll offer my opinion on the red & black check pattern............

Gordy

Yep. That's pretty much what I figured as well Gordy. Maybe there was a prolific source of red dye? Dunno.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yep. That's pretty much what I figured as well Gordy. Maybe there was a prolific source of red dye? Dunno.

I think the red was supposed to show up brightly so they weren't accidently shot by other hunters. Affter all this was before the flourescent colors came out.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Inspired by the original thread, I ordered a Stormy Kromer button-up vest - I didn't need another, albeit beautiful, jacket and I'm not a great fan of zips on waistcoats. It has duly arrived and is utterly superb: brilliantly thought out (pockets, fabric), superbly made and wonderfully comfortable. Now all I'm waiting for is this promised savage winter...

SK stuff seems to be of the highest quality. I am nothing more than an utterly delighted customer and now user. Many thanks for the original thread that introduced me to the range!

Oh, before you ask, photos might be a possibility but, as a technophobe, it'll take me a while...

Osagian

Jan 11, 2012
Sweden
Gordy,

I am sure you are correct in your theory of the Red/Black pattern. It was a staple for most hunters here in the US for many years.

Stormy Kromer

Deer and moose cannot see red and green as colours, but only as nuances of grey. The red-black has two advantages: it functions as a camoflage and as a safety colour to avoid being shot at by hunters.

The last weeks I have spent some time browsing the Web for a woolen jacket to wear in the field and the forest. This Stormy Kromer waistcoat and jacket combination is among the most interesting finds, and I am seriously considering to buy one. But I would like to ask those of you, who have it, how tight the waistcoat is. Is it roomy enough, so you can comfortably wear a thick woolen sweater under it?

Pete

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Deer and moose cannot see red and green as colours, but only as nuances of grey. The red-black has two advantages: it functions as a camoflage and as a safety colour to avoid being shot at by hunters
Pete

Very interesting Pete. Cheers.
I wonder how long they've known that.

Osagian

Jan 11, 2012
Sweden
Last week I ordered this coat from Gavin at Bushgear in Faversham. Now I am eagerly waiting fpor the post to deliver it!

beetlebailey0610_454.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE