Filson Jacket...WOW!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Guys some of you have heard of Filson clothing from the US. To me, this is some of the best quality, rugged outdoor clothing I have seen and have had meetings with the company in the US several times. This clothing was built for the gold rush guys in the 1800's so it had to be quality.

fil2.jpg

I have two Tin Cloth Packer Coats here that are surplus to requirements, they have never been worn and they trully are something else, this is serious clothing, they are more equipment then they are clothing.

Our toughest coat - for the toughest conditions

$225.00 . .

Color: TAN

Oil Finish Tin Cloth provides maximum water repellency and durability
One-piece cape over shoulders, upper back, and sleeves creates two full layers of protection

Fingertip or "three-quarter" length provides better protection against rain and abrasion

Here the quality bit.......

Oil Finish Tin Cloth provides maximum water repellency and durability
One-piece cape over shoulders, upper back, and sleeves creates two full layers of protection
Fingertip or "three-quarter" length provides better protection against rain and abrasion
Liner sold separately
Button tab on inside collar fastens to button on neck of zip-in wool liner
Black plastic zippers for vest/liners
Wool-lined collar with 2 buttons for detachable hood
Snap tab prevents collar from falling flat when you have it turned up against wind and rain
Heavy-duty two-way brass front zipper
Storm flap snaps shut to prevent wind and rain from passing through front zipper
Wind guard behind front zipper also prevents wind and rain from passing through
Adjustable snap tabs on wrists for a custom fit
4 large front pockets with snap flaps
4 pencil slots sewn over upper left front pocket
2 unlined hand warmer pockets underneath lower front pockets
Grommets inside bottom pockets for water drainage
Inside flat pocket
Rear gusset expands over your saddle when horseback riding
Made in USA

Fabric

(Coat) Oil Finish Tin Cloth, 12.5 oz. 100% cotton duck, 2 ply by 2 ply, paraffin treated for maximum water repellency

(Collar) Mackinaw wool, 24 oz. 100% virgin wool

Weight

approximately 4 lb 12 oz

Fitting

Filson coats are generously sized. Your suit size would normally be your correct size. If you intend to layer heavily underneath your Filson coat, we recommend that you order one size larger than your suit size.

Care

How do I clean my Oil Finish Tin Cloth garment?
Wipe or brush away surface soil or buildup with a damp cloth or scrub brush. If necessary, use cold water to loosen up any caked mud or dirt. (Some customers just hose 'em down at the end of the day.)

We advise against spot cleaning with soap and water, as it may result in a loss of water repellency or color in that spot. If it is absolutely necessary to spot clean an Oil Finish garment, you may need to re-wax that spot to restore the water repellency after it dries.

DO NOT professionally dry clean Oil Finish garments. Dry cleaning solutions destroy the Oil Finish, effectively turning Oil Finish fabrics into Dry Finish fabrics. If an Oil Finish garment is dry cleaned, it will need to be re-waxed to restore its water repellency.

DO NOT machine wash Oil Finish garments. Machine washing breaks down the Oil Finish, and sometimes causes the fabric to shrink. Most importantly, machine washing will not soften Oil Finish Tin Cloth. In fact, it may make the fabric stiffer than before.

Do I need to re-wax my Oil Finish Tin Cloth garment right away?
You shouldn't need to re-wax your Oil Finish Tin Cloth garment right away. It is ready to wear.

However, over time, and with regular use, the Oil Finish water repellency may weaken, especially in areas of high wear or repeated flexing (such as the knees of a pant, or the elbows or cuffs on a jacket). One can of our Style 1-A Original Oil Finish Wax is enough to touch up isolated areas of high wear or flexing, but re-waxing an entire garment usually requires several cans of wax. See Style 1 and 1-A for detailed instructions.

What should I do if my Oil Finish Tin Cloth garment gets wet?
Cotton can shrink if it gets wet, especially when it's exposed to any kind of heat. Allow your Oil Finish Tin Cloth garment to dry naturally, away from any source of heat, to minimize shrinkage.

Oil Finish Tin Cloth is made of 100% cotton that has not been preshrunk, so shrinkage can occur, even if care is taken to avoid prolonged exposure to heat when wet. Most customers do not experience enough shrinkage to have a problem with the fit.

Common Uses

Horseback riding, ranching, hunting, rainwear

FAQ

Why do you call it "Tin Cloth?"
Tin Cloth has been one of our most popular fabrics for decades. It was nicknamed "Tin Cloth" when tin was the standard for toughness. We've also heard it described in the past as being called Tin Cloth because it "sheds water like a tin roof."

Why are my new Tin pants a different shade of tan than my last pair of Tin pants?
Each dye lot accepts dyes to a different degree, depending on fiber variations, harvest time, and processing. We feel that the difference you are seeing is an acceptable color range for our Tin Cloth.

Do I need to order a one size up to allow for shrinkage?
Any cotton garment is susceptible to shrinkage, which varies with use. For example, if your garment gets wet and then hot (drying out by a hot stove or in a car trunk, or when you work up a sweat wearing it on a hot day) shrinkage can occur. You'll notice shrinkage primarily in the length of a sleeve or pant leg, less often in the chest or waist.

While a small percentage of users experience shrinkage in their Oil Finish Tin Cloth garments (usually due to getting them repeatedly wet and dry) most users do not experience enough shrinkage to create a problem with the fit. We recommend that you order your normal size unless you have previous experience with unusual shrinkage in our garments.

Is your Oil Finish Tin Cloth waterproof?
Our Oil Finish Tin Cloth is not totally waterproof, but it is very water repellent, especially for a natural fabric like cotton. In a sustained downpour, the fabric will begin to absorb water, but you can expect to stay dry and comfortable for hours in the rain.

Which one of your Oil Finish fabrics is the most water repellent?
Of the three, Oil Finish Cover Cloth and Oil Finish Shelter Cloth are the most water repellent, because they are both more tightly woven than Oil Finish Tin Cloth. The tight weave contributes to the water repellency.

My new Tin jacket is very stiff! Is there anything that I can do to break it in faster? Can I throw it in the washing machine, or the dryer?
There are no shortcuts to breaking in a Tin Cloth garment--you just have to wear it as much as you can until it softens up. No matter what, don't throw your Tin jacket in the washing machine--that may only make it stiffer. Tumbling in a dryer will only soften it temporarily (when the fabric cools, it will return to its original stiffness).

Your catalog says that Oil Finish Tin Cloth is breathable. How does it compare to Gore-Tex?
Rubber and plastic raingear do not breathe at all, which means as you work or play in the rain, your body heat stays trapped inside the garment, eventually building up condensation that leaves you soggy and uncomfortable.

We describe our Oil Finish Tin Cloth as "breathable," when compared to rubber or plastic raingear, because it offers superior water repellency, but at the same time will allow air to push through. However, Oil Finish Tin Cloth is generally not as breathable as high-tech synthetic fabrics, such as those that use Gore-Tex breathable membranes.

Does Filson offer a re-waxing service for Tin Cloth garments?
We don't offer a re-waxing service for our Oil Finish garments. However, we do sell individual cans of our Oil Finish wax, so that you can re-wax of your Tin Cloth garment yourself. By the way, if you've been frustrated by re-waxing in the past, you might be pleased to know that our wax is now softer, making it much easier to apply.

Have a look here http://www.filson.com/product/index...2&doVSearch=no&pageBucket=0&parentPage=family

pFILSON1-2230820p275w.jpg

This gear will last you a life time and comes with such history and pedigree.

Sizes

1 x 44" SOLD
1 x 40-42"

Price

£100 each

If you would like any more info then don't hesitate to PM me.

Best wishes.

Jack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE