Stormy Kromer Mackinaw Coat and Vest.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
I'd be really interested in some comments on the fit of the pants - how the sizes work out, where the fit on the waist etc - that sort of thing. Been considering getting some of their bunkhouse trousers for a while more so since our summer's been crap and I reckon the winter will be rubbish at this rate.

So - more details and pics please!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I too have recieved some of the Bunkhouse trousers.
I too await some cold weather to realy test them out.
First impressions are good :)
The cut seems more for tall slim 38" waisters than my rotund 38" shape. The legs cme unfinished for you to turn up to length and while I take 36" waist in 5.11 the Stormy 38 is a little snug for getting thick tucked shirts in as well as my belly... the waist sits mid high... not hipsters, not Simon Cowel...
Very comfotable for all that though!
Far to warm to wear for any length of time at the moment!
I will be writing a full review when I have had chance to get out in the cold with them on!

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
Mr StormyKromer, I think I speak for everyone here (not that I've asked anyone) that the pictures of Wayland at the beginning of this thread are so good you should consider making him your catalogue model. How would you feel about a new career avenue Wayland?

Ready to join the supermodel highway?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Mr StormyKromer, I think I speak for everyone here (not that I've asked anyone) that the pictures of Wayland at the beginning of this thread are so good you should consider making him your catalogue model. How would you feel about a new career avenue Wayland?

Check out the Bison Bushcraft website for more of Garys modelling :D

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys

Not to mention the Hilltrek site
icon11.png

Wayland

Hárbarðr

Not to mention the Hilltrek site
icon11.png

Sarky bu&&ers... :p

Osagian

Jan 11, 2012
Sweden
Today my jacket and waistcoat combo came with the post.

My first impressions:

- Great cloth: soft, thick, tightly woven and a beautiful forest green colour.
- Well done and careful sewing.
- Great pockets. However, I will have zippers sewn into the upper ones, as the slanted openings may be a bit risky - the content can fall out and be lost.
- The waistcoat is generous cut, and there is room for a thick woolen sweater under it. Sadly, it is far too wide at the waist. The cut would fit a considerably fatter belly than mine - and I'm not as slim as I would prefer! I think I will take it to a modification taylor and have it sewn in two or three inches tighter.
- With the waistcoat zipped into the jacket, the fit of the combo isn't quite comfortable and the cloth on the left side of the breast wrinkles to somr extent. With the waistcoat free from the jacket, the combo is much more comfortable to wear and the jacket looks much better.
- I'm a bit suspicious about the quality of the zippers. The coat and waistcoat will surely survive them with years.
- There isn't any velcro or other plastic stuff in the jacket. Buttons and zipper make a safe combination. A great plus!
- The jacket fits good and looks great. However, it too is a bit wide at the waist and beneath. I would have preferred less bell cut. Supposedly a strap in the side seams about the height of the lower front pockets with buttons in the back to tighten the the waist would be an improvement.
- I tested the jacket during a fast two miles walk with the dog tonight in -8C and some wind. The jacket combo is warm and comfortable. Conferred with my Fjällräven and Didriksson parkas, it wentilated much better and I didn't get sweaty as I use to. This is rather important, as I will used cold days in the woods when I have som hours with hard trekking and others with just sitting with the camera or the binocular, waiting for birds and animals to appear. Wool beats any synthetic!
- Despite the critical remarks above, I think I'll be content with the jacket combo.

Last Thursday I ordered and payed the jacket combo. Making business with Gavin at Bushgearco.uk has been a pleasure. He was very helpful with my questions about measures other things.

Pete

Osagian

Jan 11, 2012
Sweden
During the weekend the coat has seen some use in cold weather. The jacket has been used for walking the dog and going to work, and there is no longer any factory stiffness left, which means that fit is much better than when I wrote about it in the foregoing posting. But I still find the waistcoat a bit too wide.

On sunday I took a trip to the Tiveden Forest north-west of the great Wetter lake. After a longer trekking, I sat with my binocular on a cliff, looking for birds, and the warm jacket allowed me to sit comfortably in -10°C.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE