Victorinox vs Wenger - who makes the best SAK?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Who makes the best SAK?

• Total voters

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have a alox vic farmer an a alox wegner soldier, I prefer the wegner due to the key ri g attachment.

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
The wenger can openers are much more useful as you can also use it as an awl.
I'm not a fan of the wenger's evo range but both the metal scales ranges are good.

I think it all comes down to the emblem. The Victorinox emblem is just that little bit more stylish. There really isn't any difference in material, finish, quality etc, it's just down to what combination of tools you need.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I've carried various Victorinox knives for years, but to go legal and as my Victorinox locking rucksack knife was wearing out anyway after many years of hard use, I bought a Wenger evolution 17 in Cotswold as it was on offer. I don't like the can opener as much but in all other repects it is a great little EDC knife I've come to like. So I voted Wenger.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have owned and used models from both ranges and like them all!
The worst Swiss Army knives ever were the ones Buck knives made in collaboration with Wenger ...

leon-1

I have carried quite a few different SAK's over the years for EDC. I even carried a couple of different models when I was in the forces. Currently I carry one of two, both are Victorinox.
A victorinox Spartan.
4001-130_BK000_view1_1000x1000.jpg
or a Victorinox Forester
victorinox-forester-black-swiss-knife-large_39f925094e794d3c62f7a6aa24c4fc74.jpg

I have in the past however carried a Wenger Huntsman, which like the other was stolen whilst in the Army.
Wenger-Handyman-Lg.jpg
The other SAK was actually made by Mauser, it was the MX-7 Officers knife and once again this was stolen whilst I was in the forces. This knife had the most aggressive saw that O have ever come across on any SAK.
909_35907_1325182986_1.jpg

The Victoronix's are good knives, but I preferred the Huntsman to the Spartan and in many ways I still prefer the Officers knife over the Forester, however it would be remiss of me to say that there's a lot in it, I would be happy enough with any of these knives when I need one.

Last edited:

pwb

Most of my SAKs are Victorinox. Personally I just think they feel and perform better for me.

My favorite is a Vic Spartan .

dsc047052Small_zps5dfdeaa5.jpg

Pete.

BushBob

Tenderfoot
Nov 24, 2013
East Mids
When I was a kid I played the trombone in the school band. We had an exchange with a school band in Germany. My exchange student gave me a Wenger SAK as a gift. Always had a soft spot for em.

I guess I'm showing my age by admitting that I went to school at a time when in was appropriate for kids to give each other knives !!!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I went to school with a rifle on my shoulder and 200 rounds of ammunition in the pocket of my blaser :)

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
The very first knife I bought was a Victorinox Spartan when I was ten and on holiday in Harlech, I'd saved for weeks on end for it. Since then Ive always own one, the same model the Spartan. Then a couple of years back I did an upgrade to the Huntsman model and treated myself :) I'll always have at least one SAK. I don't really know if Victorinox or Wenger are any better than each other! Both very good in my opinion, I like them.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Just recently I lost my Tinker - the first knife I've ever lost. Not like me at all. :(

Still, it motivated me to try out Victorinox's lifetime warranty and I sent my knackered red Alox Secretary (I think this is a discontinued model) and Swisschamp off to be repaired so they can be returned to a carryable condition. I'll report back on how that goes.

PS - Mods, this thread has been going for ages - perhaps someone could close the poll? I think we've got plenty of responses now :)

Last edited:

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
Of the Alox 1961 pattern Swiss army issue knives I prefer Wenger over Vic because of the bail;

Overall though I prefer Victorinox for their fit and finish.

Wenger always seemed to be the more adventurous with their products (like the Minigrip) but both are an excellent quality knife.

The above picture is of my Wenger SI, and Vic Explorer and Huntsman.

My ideal would be an Explorer with a wood saw and the awl from the SI.

I voted Vic BTW

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
I have several victor inbox and one Wanger/Buck, I like all the Victorinox, but the Wenger/Buck I found was very thin in the blades and the main blade bent near the tip, but I just bent it back to nearly straight . It still shows where it was bent,
but it is handy as a spare, and lists in the bottom of my Rucksack, so that I at least have a cutting tool with me at all times. I vote for Vote for Victorinox every time. Possibly Wanger on their own are O.K. But the Buck version is rubbish.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE