Ventile smock,xmas comes early

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hay all,thought you might want a look at my new ventile smock.

patter43.jpg

I sent away for the pattern from the U.S.

So heres the finished jacket.
dfjSmall.jpg

And heres me modelling it,
gdjytrjSmall.jpg

sdffSmall.jpg

OH well,, i now know why people run a mile when they bump into me in the woods,especially when i've got the granny b.in my grubby hands :yikes:

Anyway enough frivolity, if anyones interested the total cost for the materials came to £70. That was for the pattern shipped from the States,3m of ventile fabric,toggles, draw cord, velcro for the pocket and elastic for the cuffs.
Assembly cost nothing as i got the wife to do it :35: well done the missus.But she did stress that if i ever want something made from Ventile again there would definitely be divorce proceedings :rolleyes: .

Oh before i forget the badge on the pocket,well that came from :bandit:now if i told you that secret,they would be after me ;)

Razorstrop

Nomad
Oct 1, 2005
North West
Impressive, most impressive, but your not...............
Damn I wish I was Darth Vader, it would sound so much better
Either way its a cracking job

Mr Strop

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
happy camper said:
that looks superb :D
What size does the pattern go up to?

This is what its says, Simple, unisex storm wear. No shoulder seams. Also features hand warmer cargo pocket, elastic at cuffs, drawcord at bottom and hood. Generously sized. Adult sizes S-L. Suggested Fabrics: Ultrex, Avalite, Extreme, Coated Taffeta, Coated Ripstop.

When it says generously sized it means generously sized, mine is a medium, i just measured the chest and its a 48inch. I'm a 40 chest but it does allow for a good layering system.

May i just point out that my jacket has an extra draw cord at the waist, which this pattern does'nt allow for.My wife said it was'nt much more work to put the extra cord in though,you can see it in the top photo drawn in just under the pocket.

chrisvreugd

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2005
Netherlands
hi what did you use,L34 L28 L24 or L19??

and then an other question, if you make a jacket yourself with ventile, is your jacket then of the same quality as the jackets sold on http://www.west-winds.co.uk/ ????

or are they a class apart??

it doesn't matter anyway, because I cant affort a ventile form westwinds :lmao:

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
chrisvreugd said:
hi what did you use,L34 L28 L24 or L19??

and then an other question, if you make a jacket yourself with ventile, is your jacket then of the same quality as the jackets sold on http://www.west-winds.co.uk/ ????

or are they a class apart??

it doesn't matter anyway, because I cant affort a ventile form westwinds :lmao:

I used L24, looking at the Westwinds site it looks as though they are maybe supplied from the same company that i got the ventile from.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Well done Stuart, many here "talk the talk", but you have just joined the club that "walks the walk", it won't be your last project (believe me). If I can be of any assistance in the future please just ask.
Neil ;)

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Wow Stuart,thats a cracking smock you have made,well done to you and your wife.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I'm totally impressed!! Very nice.

I'm on the same track but haven't found someone to sew for me yet. I have the ventile and I have the green pepper coast range anorak pattern although I really like that cagoule pattern you used. Super! :You_Rock_

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
wanderinstar said:
Stuart,
Excellent job. But whats the problem with sewing it? Heard someone else on here saying the same thing.
Ian.

Hi Wanderinstar, put it this way my wife said it was easier to use paper clips to hold the pattern together rather than pins, because she nearly went through a full box of them,they just kept bending as she tried to push them through the material. You will also need a needle for a sewing machine that is suited to sewing denim.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE