Beatrice....a bit of a project...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Big thanks to Tengu for the Beatrice No33 flat iron heater / stove that arrived today.

Unfortunately I didn't take a photo of " before " but Tengus for sale thread gives you an idea.
Been playing this evening and took it apart, I gave the base / tank a bit of a clean and it came up quite well.
I'll start on the pile of bits soon. :)

I've managed to source some new Mica for the window, a new wick, a new fibre washer for the filler cap and I'll make a gasket for the wick assembly from thin leather. Quite looking forward to this. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20230118_203356.jpg
    IMG_20230118_203356.jpg
    421.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20230118_203405.jpg
    IMG_20230118_203405.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 49

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
They’re lovely things, the Beatrice paraffin heaters, real classic look to them. I was after one for a while as I have a fair few litres of paraffin to use but only lanterns to burn it in, but these days they’re not ideal as domestic heaters, great for sheds and workshops.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Nice little project there and it's coming along nicely!

What kind of burn time do you get out of one fill with these stoves?

Reactions: dwardo

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The best of those little stoves, when set properly, burned low and long to get through the night without needing refilled.
The smell of paraffin stoves is so tied up with my childhood Winters that it's incredibly evocative of a well kept, clean and warm home.
The little ones were used in bathrooms to stop pipes freezing, and the slightly larger ones, like the Beatrice, were used in kitchens and greenhouses. Even in my childhood though, that Beatrice would have been considered an old stove. It's doing really well to last so soundly.

When those stoves were made not all homes were connected to gas, electric cookers were a novelty, and in Summer many folks still had to 'light a fire' to cook.
The old set in ranges were good things, but they threw out heat like a furnace. No one wants that in Summer, and these little Beatrice stoves were clean to use and easy to cook simple things on without having to thole the heat of the range, or waste the fuel. Good way to boil a kettle, do a fry up, even bake on a girdle/bakestone, too.

M

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
1901? I thought it was 20s/30s. But maybe that's an old mould.

How di you clean it so well?

Hi Tengu,

I had a great chat with the guy that owns Base Camp, a classic stove supplies company, very knowledgeable bloke, he reckoned about 1928 but without seeing it very hard to tell.... Well, I found the date. :) 1901

I soaked it all in lots and lots of WD40 and left it for ages, it all came apart quite well except for one large screw but I soaked it overnight and it slowly slowly surrendered this morning :)

I then set to work with a Dremel and circular wire wheel and it works really well but takes ages to do.

I've ordered a new wick and mica window from Base Camp and more wire wheels from Amazon that will be here tomorrow and I already have some high temperature silver paint.

Happy days. :)

Reactions: Brizzlebush

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Hi Tengu,

I had a great chat with the guy that owns Base Camp, a classic stove supplies company, very knowledgeable bloke, he reckoned about 1928 but without seeing it very hard to tell.... Well, I found the date. :) 1901

I soaked it all in lots and lots of WD40 and left it for ages, it all came apart quite well except for one large screw but I soaked it overnight and it slowly slowly surrendered this morning :)

I then set to work with a Dremel and circular wire wheel and it works really well but takes ages to do.

I've ordered a new wick and mica window from Base Camp and more wire wheels from Amazon that will be here tomorrow and I already have some high temperature silver paint.

Happy days. :)

Here’s a bit about fettling a 1901, not the process but some pics of a 1901. It looks like it has some different features to your stove, it doesn’t have the same cast ‘wings’ with the stamp on, but yours is a very early model I think. Rik_UK is a member on that forum and reckons production was late 1800 to mid 1900.

Another bloke you could contact is Miles Stair. Years ago he was one of the only connections we had on BritishBlades that would export CountyComm gear to us greedy UK EDC fans. But as well as his survival shop he has a wick and stove shop and is a world expert on these things. Mind you, the bloke at BaseCamp is no slouch, every time I phone him or Amanda I’m on the phone a good hour or so, lovely people. They warm mince pies at Christmas for their punters on a little paraffin stove.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robbi

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Hi Rich,

Thanks for that, I've seen that article in my poking around the net.

I'll check out Miles Stair, many thanks.

Interestingly, Mike at Base Camp said that all the metalwork including the top was originally tinned so would have been a Silver colour, I have some high temperature silver rattle can paint that should look OK and try to keep it looking nearly original.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Hi Rich,

Thanks for that, I've seen that article in my poking around the net.

I'll check out Miles Stair, many thanks.

Interestingly, Mike at Base Camp said that all the metalwork including the top was originally tinned so would have been a Silver colour, I have some high temperature silver rattle can paint that should look OK and try to keep it looking nearly original.

There are re-tinning services depending on how authentic you want it to be. Due to its age and condition, a full restoration would be lovely.

Reactions: Robbi

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
There are re-tinning services depending on how authentic you want it to be. Due to its age and condition, a full restoration would be lovely.

Oh.... Now you've done it.

More research required.!!

Reactions: Nice65

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Ditch the wire wheels and use these instead.

They wear out like the wire wheels but don't leave nasty little bits of wire everywhere. You still need to use eye protection but the bits coming off won't stick in your face. They're in different grit equivilants so you get a really nice finish was well
1674169609664.png
Note, no affliation to the ebay seller.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Ditch the wire wheels and use these instead.

They wear out like the wire wheels but don't leave nasty little bits of wire everywhere. You still need to use eye protection but the bits coming off won't stick in your face. They're in different grit equivilants so you get a really nice finish was well
View attachment 77868
Note, no affliation to the ebay seller.

Thanks for this.

I did see them on amazon but never having used them I stuck with the wire wheels, must admit though I have been picking bits of wire from my fleece all evening, if I need any more I'll give them a go.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Nice work.

Personally I wouldn't paint the chimney and mica holder but I'd season all the cast iron in oil so you can keep it rust free.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE