Ventile Poncho

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Is £110 too much?

• Total voters

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
'The crows continually infesting Oetzi's
garden called for drastic measures'

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

239.07004.jpg

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Hi, a bite late a few pics of a USSR army poncho with the hood in the corner. Hope this might help.
Topknot.
poncho3pm8.jpg

poncho5ti6.jpg

poncho10rl0.jpg

Third picture isn't showing for some reason. How does it work? Is this the one that Jude Law was cutting about in in Enemy at the Gates?

Wierd, the third pic is working now! Still not sure how it is used, but t sure looks interesting!

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Third picture isn't showing for some reason. How does it work? Is this the one that Jude Law was cutting about in in Enemy at the Gates?

Wierd, the third pic is working now! Still not sure how it is used, but t sure looks interesting!

It looks like the one in film.They are on ebay under Russian army (raincoat tent)

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Roight.

Dave at Hilltrek has now reviewed the NATO Poncho. Here is his response:

"Based on this design with a double ventile hood and double ventile shoulders we could offer a price of £110 inclusive of VAT.

I am afraid that it is difficult to get under this price because of the cost of Ventile fabric.
It may be that the stud arrangement and rings at each corner would have to be altered to suit our standard components.( The NATO poncho has studs which can be mated at both sides to enable several ponchos to be connected together. It also has several rings around the outside so that the poncho can be tied to objects)
As I said previously we would make a sample for you to test"

Thoughts everyone. Who is interested at this price?

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Dont sound a bad price,just need one of the established members to do a review of a sample!

basha

Forager
Aug 9, 2006
kent
thanks for finding out about this (and thanks to Hilltrek for going with it);

I initially thought £110 a bit steep for this poncho, but if you compare it to Hilltreks own 'Braemar Single Ventile® Windshirt' (also £110, which is also cheaper than at least one other rival companies version), I suppose the price is pretty fair as the poncho is going to be a limited run and they are going to be making up new patterns etc. from scratch.
The proposed poncho is also going to be double layered on the hood and shoulders. I can imagine there may be as much work to do to produce a Ventile poncho as a single skin jacket.
The results of the test of the preliminary item will be the decider for me.

basha

Forager
Aug 9, 2006
kent
Someone may want to correct me on this, but I had a quick search on Ventile material retail prices; one company sells P80 Ventile at approx. £17 per sq. metre.
I estimate there must be around 4 sq. metres of fabric in a this poncho (including double hood and shoulders); so that would be around £68 just for the material if I were to buy it !!!!

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
Sounds like a reasonable price to me and I think this would be a useful thing to have, but as others have said I'd like to find out about people's experiences of the sample before deciding. Thanks for all the work on this. I voted in favour anyway.

Chris

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Sounds about right for price. I'd be interested in some dimensions and info about fixing points as it's only a real runner if it's replacing a jacket and a tarp for me though.

I do keep wondering about the hood. I don't use hoods much as I wear a wide leather hat.

The only use it has for me is to tie up and seal the centre when I'm sleeping under it.

When thinking about my own design I was going to replace it with a tube like collar and a draw string.

Would that be cheaper to make....:dunno:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE