Ventile Poncho

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Is £110 too much?

• Total voters

malcolmc

Forager
Jun 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.webwessex.co.uk
Dougster,

You beat me to the offer of a loan. I've got a couple of NATO ones and would be happy to loan one. As I suggested it and would like a ventile one perhaps I should bear the pain (postage cost).:D I'll stand down if you've got it in hand.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I have a Brit army one you could use - but I REALY don't want a ventile one. Wouldn't it be about as useful as a goretex one?

Happy to loan mine though.

I know that some people may see the point of one and some not. All are fair comments. For those interested in the idea then the possible benefits might be - quiet, better around a fire, nothing to delaminate, more breathable, natural fibre that could work better with the layers you wear under it in terms of condensation....I am aware over the non-absolute waterproof nature of ventile and the weight penalty. But I love the stuff and am still drawn to it!

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Dougster,

You beat me to the offer of a loan. I've got a couple of NATO ones and would be happy to loan one. As I suggested it and would like a ventile one perhaps I should bear the pain (postage cost).:D I'll stand down if you've got it in hand.

Thanks for that offer. Will email Dave at Hilltrek and see what the score is. Before you do I wanted to get a ball-park figure on the price so we are generally happy to proceed. If we are not then I don't want to waste your time / money posting it. Thanks.

Bozle

Tenderfoot
Jun 19, 2006
Kent
Another hand up for interested.

Just a quick question/ design input; does the stud placing allow the poncho to close up to form a bivi bag-like tube or is it purely to allow sheets to be connected to form larger tarps?

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Another hand up for interested.

Just a quick question/ design input; does the stud placing allow the poncho to close up to form a bivi bag-like tube or is it purely to allow sheets to be connected to form larger tarps?

I will ask Dave at Hilltrek. Of course not every request for features will be included - otherwise we will end up with a rather expensive poncho. But I will provide a link to this thread so Dave can take on board people's comments so when he spec's it out he can do so properly. I am still waiting for him to get back to me with a price though. :) However the more that express interest hopefully the cheaper it will be!!! :D

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
HI Guys - an update for you from Dave at Hilltrek

"You can let the group know that we are extremely interested in supplying.
I am afraid that before we can give you feedback on the price we need to
see the sample NATO garment. The price is determined by the amount of
fabric, ventile is expensive, and the amount of time spent on
manufacturing which is determined by the garment details.
Once we establish a ball park price which is acceptable I propose that we
would initially provide a prototype for testing. Minor design changes
could then be incorporated in the price.
Regards
Dave"

So can someone send him a Nato pattern poncho please - his email address is dave@hilltrek.co.uk. Can you post up if you have sent him one so we know the ball is still rolling (and no one else needs to send one!)

Thanks

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Malcolm mc - I'll leave it to you if you are taking part. Add to that mine is a basha and not a poncho as I previously thought:eek:

I only mentioned the viability because of the cost. I have a tatonka cotton tarp which I prefer to all others - particularly in the rain when it has a reassuring sound. But there you have it, that was about £40. If this will replace a jacket and a tarp it's viable, if people want to buy it it's viable. This community does this sort of thing well and long may it continue.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
I own a camouflage sil-nylon poncho. Probably a US-Army one because there is awhole heap of instructions and details printed in one corner. I found it used on top of a trash heap and use it as a undercover.
I can post some pics on sundays and wouldnt mind sending it away.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi, a bite late a few pics of a USSR army poncho with the hood in the corner. Hope this might help.
Topknot.
poncho3pm8.jpg

poncho5ti6.jpg

poncho10rl0.jpg

basha

Forager
Aug 9, 2006
kent
my first posting!
I would be interested. Ventile is great stuff. I wouldn't want DPM though....
thanks for investigating this.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE