Ventile or Gore Tex

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TobyH

Forager
Apr 4, 2006
Deepest, Darkest Suffolk
I'm looking for the ultimate water proof outdoor coat. I've currently got a Berghaus Gore Tex Jacket that is pretty good. The only problem is when it' s been in the rain for a long time and appears to be wet on the inside. Whether this is sweat or water I'm not sure, but considering it's supposed to breath I'm not 100% happy.

So the question is: Should I look for a later (read better) Gore Tex jacket or go to Ventile. I have no experience of Ventile so your views would be appreciated. I tend to use the jacket for everything and it needs to be 100% waterproof even after extended use....

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Ventile is not exactly 100% waterproof, in the sense that people generally use the word.

Goretex does not breathe well when wet. In fact, nothing breathes that well in heavy rain. Once ambient humidity nears 100%, breathability is moot.

You pays your money and you takes your choice. Although I hear Paramo is very good...

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
You may be expecting a bit too much Toby, breathability relies on there being a vapour gradient. If the jacket is wetted-out on the outside or conditions are very humid breathability will be limited whatever you are wearing.

You could try paramo which works differently, but a lot of people find it too warm.

I have no personal experience of ventile, but some swear by it and others think it's like wearing damp cardboard.

Basically it's a case of finding what works best for you, there is no "ultimate" as such.

Scoops

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
This one is very much dependant uopn conditions and situation, when I'm walking the dog and come across brambles, I wear my trusty old Barbour. On the top of hills I wear eVent (MUCH better than GTX IMHO) but around and about, with no persistent rain, good old cotton is bombproof without the 2kgs that Barbours weigh.

It's all about what you use it for, and remember, warm and wet is clammy, cold and wet is when life gets miserable. With our current conditions we are going to get wet one way or another.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Toby, it may be that your GTX coat just needs a clean spruce up. wash it in tech wash then treat it with a nikwax proofer and it should improve things.

TobyH

Forager
Apr 4, 2006
Deepest, Darkest Suffolk
Mmm, sounds like I'm asking too much of my kit!!

I've recently re-vamped my GTX jacket so it should be ok. I understand the humidity gradient theory, it makes sense. Will have to do some more research.

I tend to use my GTX when it's raining hard and I'm walking. I don't like wearing it too much when I'm working, but don't have anything else to take it's place. Last time I wore it I was chopping logs and making a fire in the pouring rain, I got quite warm and I suspect it was sweat/condensation on the inside rather than water getting in, though the material was soaked (normally the fabric repells).

I guess I'm going to have to make a compromise between breathability and waterproofness.

I wouldn't mind the jacket being silent as well so it's quiet when hunting...

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Love my SASS Ventile - dries out really quickly and is both light and quiet. No experience with Paramo but have seen it around and general feedback seems to make it a viable contender although the warmth factor tends to push it more towards a winter choice

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Hi Toby, some good advise there mate.... You can easily tell if your current jacket is up to it or not...When its raining, the water should just bead up on the surface and run off, just like when you wax your car and the material should look dry...If it is 'wetting out' (the material becomming soaked), this will dramaticly affect the breathability of the jacket and you will get condensation inside (though the material should still be waterproof). One way of getting the jacket sorted is to tumble dry it on a low heat for about 1/2 an hour or iron it ona lo ht, this will reactivate. If this fails, you need to wash with Nickwax's tech wash and proof with tx direct, (or use the grangers equivelent) as mentioned by Dommy...
Meant to say iron it on a low heatabove, but for some reason I cannot change it..????

May 24, 2007
I've got an eVent 8000 fabric coat. It's terrible.
Bought one brand new, and it pretty much leaked straight away. Took it back and complained, they gave be a replacement. The replacement still lets water in, but at least it's slower.

TobyH

Forager
Apr 4, 2006
Deepest, Darkest Suffolk
Just done a bit of reading about Paramo, seems to be quite sturdy and have pretty good qualities,
Will have a look at some today.

I keep seeing people with "SASS Ventile smock", should that be SAS (as in military) or is there some manufacturer I've never heard of again!!

May 24, 2007
That's odd, my Montane Superfly is superb.

My girlfriend has an eVent 10000 jacket, and its great, but mine stops beading and starts absorbing after a few minutes of heavy rain. I'm going up Snowdon this weekend, so I may be rather damp when I get to the top.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have had experience with 3-Layer Goretex, eVent and Ventile and although all three will eventually let water in I would hands down go with Ventile for Bushcraft!
I find its more breathable, more comfortable, quieter to wear and doesn't melt near fire.
Hence Ventile gets my vote.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
These folk - http://www.sasskit.co.uk/home.htm

They do a ventile version of their field smock.

Bare in mind it is only every now and then when they get their hands on a roll of Ventile fabric that they make the Jackets in question and you have to be quick to get your name down for one.
But they are excellent quality bits of kit made to order and your own personal specs.
Excellent friendly service aswell.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Loads of good advice and opinions here but to add my penneth worth. I have found that regardless of what type you buy you will need to ventilate if you are generating a lot of heat. That may mean undoing the top button and zip a tad or fully open.

I currently use a Sportchief which is fantastic (a bit too warm sometimes) but I am guessing you don't want Realtree camo, in that case I would suggest (and my next purchase will be) a Kammo Winchester in olive green. Their material is very good.

http://www.kammo.co.uk/jackets/Winchester.php?basket=36c9dac9c4559e290294ca5643fce644

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
the waterproof / breathable thing is always going to be a trade off, but at the end of the day as long even if you are getting a little condensation on the inside its better than getting soaked from the rain.

This is why its Important that the clothes you wear under yor waterproof still provide some insulation when wet and dry quickly. If it's warm but rainy I wear a merino baselayer underneath my GTX. As it gets colder I will add a thicker ulfrotte, swanndri, etc. etc...

I'm happy with GTX but would like a simple Ventile smock for cold, dry windy conditions or times when it's not looking like torrential...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE