Ventile or Gore Tex

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TobyH

Forager
Apr 4, 2006
Deepest, Darkest Suffolk
I've had it about 4-5 years, with medium useage. It seems to bead up fine after a wash with the nikwax stuff so I don't think it's worn out yet. Most of the time in 'normal' rain condition's it's fine, but when I'm working hard and it's belting it down it no longer beads and I get damp (probably condensation) so perhaps it's coming to the end of it's useful life?

Jan 22, 2006
uk
the way that works for me is to wear ventile, and take a lightweight 100% waterproof large jacket and trousers to quickly change into if need be.
fair enough they are sweaty, but you can lie down in a puddle if you like and all's fine.
its worked for me for years, worth a try, doesnt cost much and is easy to repair, or almost disposable at £12 a set. my set is still my first, has several repairs and as the trousers fit into the coat pocket it all works pretty well.
the ventile and poly trousers dry dead quick too. result.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
I dont have any experience with them, but what about Fjällraven G1000 jackets?

I have found that my trousers, made of same material, lost their waterproofing very quickly. I tried refroofing the knees without that much success, however I will try again using more layers and an iron as opposed to a hair dryer,but IMHO the G1000 material is breathable, strong and comfortable but not particularly waterproof.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Am I allowed to disagree with you, Kae1? :)

I've found it to be quite comparable to Ventile. (But only if you wax the stuff properly)

As a substitute for Ventile, Fjallraven's G-1000 fabric definately gets my vote.

Cheers,

Adam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE